• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    180 grandma? confused
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeah, corrected it smile wouldn't want them to send me 180 grammas nagging on my head! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    lol

But actually I still don't get it... what does "180-grammar vinyl" mean?
    (at least I know it's the old record disc thing)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012
    Just ordered mine, can't wait!

LO IMPOSSIBLE
    - Fernando Velasquez, from quartet here. http://www.quartetrecords.com/lo-imposible-1.html
  1. I hope that it lives up to expectation, Demetris.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012
    I sure hope so too smile
  2. Listening to a score from a German TV movie by the looks of it:

Die Jagd nach dem Bernsteinzimmer - Martin Berger-Damm / Robin Hoffmann / Alexander Pfeffer

A "Bernstein" & "Zimmer" cpmbination score should be a good one!

No, wait. It's "The Hunt for the Amber Room"!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012
    My latest batch:

The Brothers Grimm - Dario Marianelli
    Caprica - Bear McCreary
    Cocoon - James Horner
    The Fury (Deluxe Edition)
    The Hunt for Red October - Basil Poledouris
    Lost in Space - Bruce Boughton
    The Mexican - Alan Silvestri
    Predator - Alan Silvestri
    Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri
    Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell
    Spy Game - Harry Gregson-Williams
    Titanic (Anniversary Edition & Collector's Anniversary Edition)
  3. lots of great stuff there William, enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    Thanks! beer
  4. Fly Box, fly! Fly like the wind!!
  5. William wrote
    My latest batch:

If you don't mind me asking, were you able to get this without spending an arm and a leg?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    Good question!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    William wrote
    My latest batch:

If you don't mind me asking, were you able to get this without spending an arm and a leg?

Ah, THAT one may not have been an actual purchase. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    My mom has asked me to compile a gift idea list for my aunt, for this Christmas... Any ideas of some good scores that are not/are likely not available on iTunes (that's where I do most of my purchasing nowadays), but that are real gems and would make a good Christmas gift?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    William wrote
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    William wrote
    My latest batch:

Ah, THAT one may not have been an actual purchase. wink

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. It's that time of the month again when my eMusic account gets topped up.

This month I went for a couple of Dominic Frontiere titles (that were released by La-La Land in 2006) - A Name For Evil and The Unknown. Both sound suitably dramatic.

As well as these I went for a couple from a composer who I have had very little experience with, David Arkenstone: Echoes of Creation and Frontier. Quite different from the Frontiere, but I am just as hopeful for these two.
  7. Browsing Bandcamp online music store sometimes throws up some good, but little-known, scores. These are all worth a listen:

Howls - Andrew Hill
    Limbo - A. Taylor
    Rue Huvelin - Christopher Slaski
    The Prophet - Gary Tarn

Also got a couple of Roque Baños titles previously unavailable as downloads:

Amor Dolor y Viceversa and Diario de Una Ninfomana
  8. I had The Hobbit already as a digital download but bought the CDs for the informative booklet as well as the physical CDs. It's things like the artwork and liner notes that differentiates the CD from the digital experience.

Labels should spend more time on adding value this way so that people want the physical CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    Not much coming in these days, but some noteworthy purchases of the last few weeks:

Hawk The Slayer (Harry Roberston)
    Early eighties sword-'n'-sandal synth score sounding GOOD? Who woulda thunk?
    But it really is a very enjoyable score!

High Plains Drifer (Dee Barton)
    Absolutely iconic theme for this surreal Clint Eastwood western (which is the main reason I jumped on this one)...sadly the rest of the score sin't much to write home about. sad

Quo Vadis (Miklos Rozsa) - 2012 rerecording
    I'm enjoying this less than I thought I would have, seeing as how this is one of my favourite Rozsa scores.
    But, as so often, less is considerably more: the sheer joy and craftsmanship that has gone into this massive release notwithstanding, the old Decca rerecording (by Rozsa himself) simply blows it out of the water as far as condensation of the truly outstanding highlights is concerned.
    Still all in all it IS a very good release, especially to those who mourned the unavailability of the original tapes, which apparently have been lost a long time ago. And of special note is the performance of John Langley as Peter Ustinov as Nero in the three songs. Truly excellent, and I really enjoy having these now.

The Long Goodbye
    - John Williams
    Basically it's one song (and not a very good one to boot) performed roughly eighteen times.
    The mariachi version and Dave Grusin's jazz interpretations are very good, but overall this CD is eminently skippable.
    Highly collectible too, these days as it sold out in a flash!
    Go figure.

David And Bathseba - Alfred Newman
    Excellent score, with Newman in very strong Biblical mode. As reverent as The Greatest Story Ever Told, but with a lot more pizzaz. Beuatiful sound quality to boot. Really happy having another worthwhile Newman in my collection!
  9. I am hoping that the Tadlow is going to be available as a digital download one of these days.
  10. Miklos Rozsa - Quo Vadis (Prometheus / Tadlow)
    Miklos Rozsa - The King of Kings (second hand) (Rhino)
    Tom Tykwer et. al. - Cloud Atlas
    Dominic Frontier - Hang 'em High / The Aviator
    dizzy
    The Hobbit SE - Howard Shore
    Spider-Man 2 - Danny Elfman
    The Rise of the Guardians - Alexandre Desplat
    Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino
    The Boy Who Could Fly - Bruce Broughton
    Enemy Mine SC - Maurice Jarre; Replaycing my old CD
    Conan the Barabarian (complete, Intrada) - Basil Poledouris; replacing my old milan-CD
    Local Hero - Mark Knopfler

ordered:
    O Pioneers! - Bruce Broughton
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012 edited
    Something I hadn't seen before seeing it the other day was the enchanting animation, The Gruffalo's Child (sequel to The Gruffalo).

A highlight of this second animation (as with the first film) was René Aubry's beautiful score.

I had seen this for sale online as a digital download when the film was originally shown but am only now looking to buy it. Amazon is selling the 23-minute score as a single track for the pricely sum of 69p (eMusic, though at slightly worse compression, works out to be 42p with a subscription!). I thought that I would pop over to iTunes as this is where I normally buy my digital music, but this time they have priced themselves out of a sale - £5.99 they want for this same track!!

And with a promotion discount it seems that it hasn't cost me even 69p: it was free! Bargain of the day I feel.

And here's a link to the film itself - The Gruffalo's Child.
  11. So, to wrap up things I got and got ordered recently.

Two scores I received as presents and I think they are some of the best stuff I heard this year:

Howard Shore - The Hobbit
    Thomas Newman - Skyfall

The last score on the list was, yeah, still ordered last year (December 30th!), but I just got shipping confirmation:

Jerry Goldsmith - Hoosiers!!! punk
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Today in the mail:

Ennio Morricone: Novecento (GDM/Edel)
    Ennio Morricone: Mosé / Moses the Lawgiver (Legend, reissue edition 2011)
    Alfred Newman: Man of Galilee: The Essential AN Film Music Collection (Silva Screen)

I'll get back to this in the "Now Playing" thread in the course of the weekend.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013
    Just arrived:-

FIRST LOVE - John Barry
    ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

That's my evening listening sorted out cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013
    Deutsche Filmkomponisten Folge 4: Rolf Wilhelm
    At the suggestion of Volker (Captain Future). wave
    I only have his Nibelungen work and I'm really looking forward to exploring other work from this relatively unknown composer, who passed away recently.

Coogan's Bluff - Lalo Schifrin
    Like the theme, liked the soundclips. Let's see if they do justice to the full score!

Joe Kidd - Lalo Schifrin
    More Eastwood. More guns. More Schifrin. Great theme. Hope the rest of the score lives up to it!

Conan The Barbarian - the 3 CD Intrada release - Basil Poledouris
    Yeah. That's I think the fourth release of the same score I bought. Very few scores are worth exploring in such depth. This is one that is.

One of my wins from the MainTitles Glorious Lustrum Competition (which had an embarassingly low number of entries! Shame on the non-participants! angry ) Tad, The Lost Explorer - Zacarías M. De La Riva
    The sound clips sounded really interesting. Looking forward if the entire score lives up to it.

Another win: Eye Of The Eagle - the film music of Sören Hyldgaard
    A most unexpected find of really strong, grade-A SCandinavian film music! Really chuffed with this!
  13. Martijn wrote
    I only have his Nibelungen work and I'm really looking forward to exploring other work from this relatively unknown composer, who passed away recently.

I'd be interested to hear your comments on this one, Martijn. Wilhelm is definitely a composer worth investigating.
  14. Martijn wrote

I certainly hope you like it!

I just ordered The Gosple of John by Jeff Danna.

When I checked the last time (a long while ago) it wasn't available anywhere in Germany. No I was surprised to find it on amazon.de.

Volker
  15. James Horner - In Country

Shipped yesterday.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website