• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - the La La Land Records release.

Just had to have it and I got a bigger paycheck today than I thought I would, so it made a lot of sense to get something I wanted since it was released... was it last May?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Oh, and

Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

really, a bargain.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - the La La Land Records release.

Just had to have it and I got a bigger paycheck today than I thought I would, so it made a lot of sense to get something I wanted since it was released... was it last May?!

Doesn't matter when it's one of the greatest film scores ever composed. Personally it's in my top 5.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I've known the original 30+ minute LP program for ages...

In fact, I actually listened to it on proper vinyl once! Same for Williams' Superman.
  4. I remember when all my scores were on vinyl! Was glad to see the back of them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I remember when all my scores were on vinyl! Was glad to see the back of them.

Vinyl is beautiful. There's nothing quite like taking a vinyl disc out of a large cover displaying the movie title with art or photo, with writing you can actually read without the need of an atomic microscope and placing it on a record deck for the first time. The downside is size and storage.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Vinyl is beautiful. There's nothing quite like taking a vinyl disc out of a large cover displaying the movie title with art or photo, with writing you can actually read without the need of an atomic microscope and placing it on a record deck for the first time. The downside is size and storage.

1) You need glasses. wink
    2) The downside is the sound of a crackling campfire in the background from the thrid run onwards.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wear reading glasses. Even with those I occassionally need a magnifying glass for liner notes.
  6. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Admittedly, the size of the disc (or more accurately the cover) is an advantage for the vinyl record but the whole process of playing vinyl is something I do not miss at all.

Having to carefully remove the disc from the paper sleeve without any damage to the disc, the act of putting the record on the deck and cleaning it, starting to play it and getting comfortable to actually listen to the music before the track starts, hoping that there's no grime that skips the playing, replacing the disc back into the sleeve with the minimum of damage, trying to get the disc back into the cover...it's all things that I am glad I don't need to worry about any more.

(Although, trying to get a new CD out of the case when it seems to be wedged in well and good can be worrying sometimes: I have only had a CD break once trying to get it out from the case.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I think I'm going crazy. My wife and I normally keep to a fairly strict budget (ie, we're cheap), which means I have to be very selective about the new albums I pick up. It used to be that I'd buy anything I even sort of liked, but now it's a much more difficult decision which often takes days. But in the past month or so I've

THE OUTSIDERS (Coppola) - Music Box
    NAPOLEON (Kilar) - Music Box
    MY GEISHA (Waxman) - Kritzerland
    THE GEISHA BOY (Scharf) - Kritzerland
    THE FURY (Williams) - LLL
    WOLFEN (Horner) - Intrada
    LAST RITES (Broughton) - Intrada
    THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN (Horner)
    THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (Newman)
    JOURNEY (Wintory)
    SHERLOCK HOLMES: GAME OF SHADOWS (Zimmer)
    SKYFALL (Newman)
    ADVENTURES OF TINTIN (Williams)
    GERHARDT/CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE: MUSIC OF ALFRED NEWMAN
    GERHARDT/CITIZEN KANE: MUSIC OF HERRMANN
    EASTERN PROMISES (Shore)
    LAST NIGHT (Mansell)
    JOHN CARTER (Giacchino)

In my defense:

- From Spiderman down, all albums were 40% off.
    - Wolfen ($28) and Last Rites ($22) I found fairly cheap on eBay.
    - I missed out on the VCL release of The Fury and I wasn't going to miss it again.
    - I try not to miss a Kilar release and I was seduced by upgraded sound for The Outsiders.
    - I couldn't pass up the Kritzerland deal for the two Geisha scores.

But still, when the hell am I going to find the time to listen to all of these? Luckily the purchases were spaced out so my wife probably won't notice, but she'll sure as hell notice when a steady stream of packages starts trickling through the door.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013
    Some very good purchases there Mike, good luck with the Mrs wink
  8. So... I caved in. I always wanted to own this beauty and now I will:

James Newton Howard - The Village
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So... I caved in. I always wanted to own this beauty and now I will:

James Newton Howard - The Village

In that case...
  9. Awsome!!!

I just found an American vendor who would sell a new copy of Walhalla by Ron Goodwin (Label X / LSE, 1986) for 20 €!
    I have been looking for this rarity for a long time now. It's on offer for rediculous prices in other places.

Walhalla is a Danish animated film about the adventures of two earthly children in the realm of the nordic gods. It was a moderate success in Germany back then. The symphonic score by Ron Goodwin is little known but real fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quU9Nk4BZxk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Awsome!!!

I just found an American vendor who would sell a new copy of Walhalla by Ron Goodwin (Label X / LSE, 1986) for 20 €!
    I have been looking for this rarity for a long time now. It's on offer for rediculous prices in other places.

Walhalla is a Danish animated film about the adventures of two earthly children in the realm of the nordic gods. It was a moderate success in Germany back then. The symphonic score by Ron Goodwin is little known but real fun.

I have fond memories of seeing that film in the cinema as a kid. I was 9 when it came out, so I was smack right in the target audience. Can't remember anything of the music, but I always hear good things about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013
    I have it, it's very good.
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Awsome!!!

Thanks for the link and bringing up the score. I had never heard it before and it was certaintly enjoyable.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013 edited
    Yor: The Hunter From The Future - John Scott (with additional music by Guido & Maurizio de Angelis)
    No idea whether or not this is good. The cover is quite horrific. But Scott is a bet I like to take.

Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal Of Time - Robert Folk
    The film's plot (again purely from the cover) seems to incorporate such wildly innovative items such as the main Sword & Sandals character traveling to contemporary time. Yawn. But I remember Erik raving over the score, so I thought it was about time to give it a shot.

Clockwise - Maciek Dobrowolski
    YAY! Finally! The official release of an excellent score to a film that never was by a composer that is new.
    Slightly disappointed though not to see my name in the credits after all my vocal support. sad
    wink
    Oddly though I though it was Maciej not Maciek?

The Touch - Basil Poledouris
    I have the GoEast/Han release, but this one had some additional tracks. So, as it was Basil, I was seduced.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013
    I remember borrowing YOR from the Library ( many many moons from the future ago ), I remember hating it but I was a teenager at that time and may feel differently now, hell, I even like a lot of the De Angelis brothers cheesy efforts.

I'd like to read yor ( see what I did there!? cheesy * ) take on this score.

* shame :coat:
  11. The Scott score is often cited as one of his best. I remember really liking what I heard when I sampled it a few years ago on Youtube.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. Today was payday, so I made a threefer order, mostly featuring a composer that I largely lack in my collection (and I am not great in knowing his work, but his output is so huge, it's very hard to actually know EVERYTHING). Three scores (two in a box set) that I didn't have CDs. The third ordered album is a personal favorite of me, something that grew very personal for me over the two years it was present in, though this music is extensively UNused in the movie (and I am a collector of scores for Terrence Malick movies). Still, a favourite:

Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (2004 edition)
    Ennio Morricone - Dollars Trilogy 2 CD box set
    Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

A bit earlier (awaiting information that it's there to pick it up)

Hans Zimmer - Angels and Demons - and that makes my Hans Zimmer collection basically complete, I have to ponder whether I want Tears of the Sun or not, but unless he does something really good (barring a review copy, of course) in the future or something I'd really like appears on the market in limited release (though that would be rather hard to do now, since I have Black Rain, Broken Arrow 2 CD and Thelma and Louise), it's basically complete.

My copy John Barry's Lion in Winter was not shipped as it's out of stock in SAE.
  13. Martijn wrote
    Yor: The Hunter From The Future - John Scott (with additional music by Guido & Maurizio de Angelis)
    No idea whether or not this is good. The cover is quite horrific. But Scott is a bet I like to take.

Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal Of Time - Robert Folk
    The film's plot (again purely from the cover) seems to incorporate such wildly innovative items such as the main Sword & Sandals character traveling to contemporary time. Yawn. But I remember Erik raving over the score, so I thought it was about time to give it a shot.

Clockwise - Maciek Dobrowolski
    YAY! Finally! The official release of an excellent score to a film that never was by a composer that is new.
    Slightly disappointed though not to see my name in the credits after all my vocal support. sad
    wink
    Oddly though I though it was Maciej not Maciek?

The Touch - Basil Poledouris
    I have the GoEast/Han release, but this one had some additional tracks. So, as it was Basil, I was seduced.

and 3 of those 4 are reviewed here, and you wonder if they are good or not? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  14. No purchase:

Walhalla - Ron Goodwin

A few weeks ago I rodered the above CD (new) at Groovers.inc/USA which the site said was In Stock.

I began to wonder what had happened to that order.

Now I just received an e-mail that the were sorry not to be able to execute that order. Apparently they couldn't track down a copy after all.

My money has been returned. Still I find this most peculiar.

Volker slant
  15. Just ordered a used copy of

Fire & Ice, 1986, Film directed by Willy Bogner

A fine Pop / Electronica Pop album. The title song was composed by Harold Faltermayer.

Volker
  16. Just ordered - at last! - two Tadlow re-recordings: Hour of The Gun and The Salamander. Looking forward to actually holding some new CDs in my hand!!
  17. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just ordered - at last! - two Tadlow re-recordings: Hour of The Gun and The Salamander. Looking forward to actually holding some new CDs in my hand!!

Arrived today & looking forward to giving them a spin.
  18. Duck, You Sucker! / A Fistful of Dynamite / Once Upon an Time ... The Revolution - Ennio Morricone

This will complete Leone's "America Trilogy" in my score collection.

I canceled my order for Brian Tylor's Iron Man 3. After listening to the amazon samples once more. I like the main theme but not much more. Not enough to warrant another CD.

Volker
  19. Just bought Iron Man 3 last Tuesday. Really loving the main theme, especially the version in the final track of the CD: "Can You Dig It." I've mainly been selling off my collection the last few years and only keeping the ones I know I will listen to over and over again. That being said I still have Ottman's 'Jack the Giant Slayer' and Giacchino's 'John Carter' on my to-get list.
  20. Just ordered:

The Golden Voyage of Sindbad - Miklos Rozsa, 1974 (Prometheus)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    Good. Good!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn