• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    Think cosmically. tongue

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
    They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Which brings us back to Dead Poets Society.

It starred Robin Williams.

etc. etc. etc.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. So I only ended up buying two albums during the Varèse sale of one day (-20 %)

Executive Decision by one Jerry Goldsmith. That name sounds promising.
    Alien: A Biomechanical Symphony. Featuring monsters and butch females in a concert setting.

Cannot wait. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. So I got the above, but was obliged to pay for additional income tax fees bull-crap. That was the first and last time ordering from Varèse directly. angry

But I've ordered The Terminator on CD in a european store and it's on its way ! cool
  5. Still haven't received the new remastered Terminator score. I'm wondering when it'll be back. sad
  6. I was about to say the most excellent insulting one-liner ever uttered by a cyborg to the fella that stole my CD, but it's back from when it was originally, stuck somewhere between the present and the future cheesy
  7. So, nobody's buying any scores around here?

Well, except for some of the special releases (expansions and such) I practically don't either anymore.

I've just ordered:

Volcano (Silvestri)
    Starship Troopers (Poledouris)
    Fimucité 6: Universal Pictures 100th Anniversary Gala

Since I love the performances on the Fimucité Alien Symphony that Varèse put out in 2012, I'm extremely looking forward to that one. And the other two of course.
  8. I've been on a music-buying hiatus because we're in the process of moving and trying to save every dollar. I might buy a Naoki Sato score tonight, though. That NHK hot spot season 2 thing he composed last year. I find I need a new Sato score at least every year. The man is amazing.
  9. My acquisition rate has dwindled down for several reasons. Almost all scores I was ever interested in I have now in my collection. At 1100 CDs I find myself unsure occasionally whether I own a certain CD or I don't. A collection that I am not entirely familiar with makes no sense to me. There is still great film music being composed in many parts of the world. But often when I like a score I think that I have several scores of the same style in my collection already and further adding up doesn't make much sense. Especially since you can today listen to a lot of new stuff via streaming.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. christopher wrote
    I've been on a music-buying hiatus because we're in the process of moving and trying to save every dollar. I might buy a Naoki Sato score tonight, though. That NHK hot spot season 2 thing he composed last year. I find I need a new Sato score at least every year. The man is amazing.

He definitely is. I'm a huge fan of Space Battleship Yamato. The man sure likes to put the sweeping back in film music doesn't he?

I see an album on iTunes called Brave Hearts Umizaru. The clips tell me I should get it. Do you know it Christopher?
  11. Captain Future wrote
    My acquisition rate has dwindled down for several reasons. Almost all scores I was ever interested in I have now in my collection. At 1100 CDs I find myself unsure occasionally whether I own a certain CD or I don't. A collection that I am not entirely familiar with makes no sense to me. There is still great film music being composed in many parts of the world. But often when I like a score I think that I have several scores of the same style in my collection already and further adding up doesn't make much sense. Especially since you can today listen to a lot of new stuff via streaming.

I know what you mean. I stream almost all the new stuff and just buy the occasional track from this or that album. It takes a really good score to get me to buy a whole album. Or it takes a score that I've heard is great from a lot of people, but that isnt on Spotify.
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    christopher wrote
    I've been on a music-buying hiatus because we're in the process of moving and trying to save every dollar. I might buy a Naoki Sato score tonight, though. That NHK hot spot season 2 thing he composed last year. I find I need a new Sato score at least every year. The man is amazing.

He definitely is. I'm a huge fan of Space Battleship Yamato. The man sure likes to put the sweeping back in film music doesn't he?

I see an album on iTunes called Brave Hearts Umizaru. The clips tell me I should get it. Do you know it Christopher?

Im not familiar with that one. I haven't found too many of his scores that I like on iTunes. Most of his I have to order as an import. My favorite so far is TSUNAGU. KANO is really good, too. YAMATO and PRICELESS are good. A couple of his scores that are on itunes (in the US, anyway) that might not be worth a whole score purchase, but have some really good tracks are STAND BY ME DORAEMON, CARNATION 2, and the NHK special HUMAN NAZE NINGEN NI NARETANOKA. Are any of those available on iTunes for you?
  13. Hey Christopher I just checked iTunes only has the one available I mentioned.

In other news, I decided to finally buy The Ghost and The Darkness expanded release by Intrada, but digital rather than physical. Curiously it's Lalaland that recently released it on various digital outlets, like iTunes, Google Play, 7Digital and Amazon. I got it at 7Digital because it's the only one that apparently sells it in lossless format (FLAC). At only 11 euros one of Jerry's most inspired scores becomes an absolutely steal, the only thing missing of importance is the booklet and info therein. smile

If one wants to see the complete list of digital releases, click here.
  14. I recently purchased three scores from 2015 that I never got to hear:

SAIGO NO RAKUEN season 2 - Naoki Sato

PETER AND WENDY - Maurizio Malagnini

THE HUNT - Steven Price

None of these had US releases either on CD or itunes. The one from Japan will take a while to get here, but the Malagnini just arrived and now I get to listen to it for the first time. Can't wait!
  15. It's only logical that today I've ordered the blu-ray of 'Hollywood in Vienna: The World of James Horner'. I've already witnessed the concert on YT but I wouldn't be a true fan if I said this didn't belong in my collection. Besides the superior picture and audio quality alone will make me experience it like new. After its arrival, I'll cherish this concert forever.
  16. I still haven't watched that Blu-ray mentioned in the post above. This is unacceptable. Horner is my number 1 composer. This post is to remind me to get off my ass and watch (and listen to) it ASAP.

And also that I've gone and ordered the following from SAE, which I rarely do anymore because the shipping costs are a bit steep these days. But since this seems like a nice enough batch I couldn't resist to order at my favorite online store. And because once in a while I need new music from the good old days...

- War of the Worlds (John Williams) after an ear-opening listen
    - The Black Cauldron Encore Edition (Elmer Bernstein) Varese Club
    - Under Siege 2: Dark Territory Deluxe Edition (Basil Poledouris) Varese Club
    - Cliffhanger (Trevor Jones) recent LLL release

cool cheesy
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2019 edited
    Since my last post of 2010 I must have purchased +15000 (at least) of new scores.

Today's batch:

Henny Vrienten - Pietje Bell 2
    Ulises Hernandez - La Edad de la Peseta
    Dimitris Kontopoulos - Loufa kai parallagi: Seirines sto Aigaio
    Bruno Coulais - Belphégor Le Fantôme du Louvre
    Martina Eisenreich - Reine Geschmackssache
  17. Joep wrote
    Since my last post of 2010 I must have purchased +15000 (at least) of new scores.

Wow! I only buy a handful of scores in a year (probably 5-10), and I download other favorite tracks individually (maybe 20-40 additional tracks). I listen to everything I can before buying it, and then I only buy my very favorite stuff. And then there are the occasional re-releases (but then I only 1-2 of those in a year). You must have an enormous collection!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2019
    as qui-gon says, there's always a bigger nerd
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2019
    Correction: 1500. I know, a huge difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2019 edited
    Joep wrote
    Correction: 1500. I know, a huge difference.

ONLY 1500?! what a casual man
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  18. Time to restart this one, though it's cheating a bit as I'm actually listing recent gifts here.

James Horner - Apollo 13 (Christmas gift from family)
    Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams - The Rock (Facebook giveaway from the Filmtracks group, replacing a long misplaced cassette)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  19. Certainly two foundational scores in my own film music journey! Awesome!!
  20. THE ROCK, is one that I would single out in particular as a favourite of mine. Love the action scoring and love the build up to the film's climax. But, I always find the music for the car chase sticks out as being not that integrated with the rest. So much so that it feels like how a piece of source music would sound having been dropped into the middle of the movie/album.

There's probably a story to why it sounds so different. Pawel?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021 edited
    A couple of thinks that I have bought recently - in addition to the CDs I showed off at the Zoom meeting - have been eclectic downloads.

SEJI - Ramón Poveda Arriati - is a weird score for a Chilean horror movie.

12 HOUR SHIFT - Matt Glass - is another weird (yet compelling) score for a US horror/comedy.

THE PROMISED NEVERLAND - Masahiro Tokuda - a more easier-to-listen score for a Japanese fantasy movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    Physically, I showed my newest CD purchases to you in the Zoom meeting on Friday. They were all Elfmans. I have a very strict "physical acquisition rule" these days -- i.e. I only get albums I don't own by artists and composers to whom I have a 'completist' relationship. That means my current want list looks like this:

John Williams - Goodbye Mr. Chips (3CD)
    John Williams - Stanley & Iris/Pete'n'Tillie
    John Williams - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (2CD)
    John Williams - Live in Vienna (Blu-ray)

Danny Elfman - The End of the Tour
    Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Danny Elfman - Goosebumps
    Danny Elfman - Before I Wake
    Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Darker
    Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Freed
    Danny Elfman - Justice League
    Danny Elfman - The Grinch
    Danny Elfman - Dolittle (only digitally available?)

Elliot Goldenthal - Othello Symphony
    Elliot Goldenthal - Jabberwocky
    Elliot Goldenthal - Symphony in G Minor
    Elliot Goldenthal - A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Elliot Goldenthal - The Glorias

Alan Parsons - The Secret
    Rammstein - Untitled
    Jean Michel Jarre - Snapshots from EON
    Jean Michel Jarre - Amazonia

I already own all of these digitally (except AMAZONIA, which isn't out yet), but need to get them on CD too.

In terms of new DIGITAL FILE acquisitions, the list is ridiculously long. I tend to get at least 2-3 new acquisitions every week (often more) - usually promos, occasionally albums I buy on iTunes, BandCamp etc. But I feel like that's a different topic. This thread is more about physical items?

By the way, Cailin - I'm curious what you think of your new REIGN OF FIRE CD? Such an aggressive action score, I'm not quite sure it's your cup of tea, if I'm going by your previous favourites and "Now Playing" selections. But maybe it is?
    I am extremely serious.
  21. FalkirkBairn wrote
    THE ROCK, is one that I would single out in particular as a favourite of mine. Love the action scoring and love the build up to the film's climax. But, I always find the music for the car chase sticks out as being not that integrated with the rest. So much so that it feels like how a piece of source music would sound having been dropped into the middle of the movie/album.

Just the very first messy Media Ventures score story that led many (even non-MV) people to work on it and actually the Chase cue being ultimately miscredited. To focus on the cue at hand, it needs a bit of an introduction, that said though, the whole story is a doozy, so I'll perhaps recount in one day in detail.

Generally speaking, Nick Glennie-Smith was hired to do it. My guess was that he got the gig on the strength on his additional cues for both Bad Boys and Crimson Tide, but that's just my theory. The production (namely Bay and Bruckheimer, whether Don Simpson was close to the process, I have no idea, but this was literally the end of him due to his massive addiction, he actually passed away after they finished the film and the score and film are dedicated to him). He tapped the new addition to the group, Harry Gregson-Williams (just off moving to Los Angeles after Richard Harvery recommended him to Hans as a choral conductor on Crimson Tide) as his assistant on the project and off he went. They started struggling with the material and eventually Hans was asked to salvage the project. The rescue job started when he scored the shower massacre scene. The cue was loved so much that they put it in the main title sequence and the theme became a major theme in the film. The little trumpet figure at the end became the Hummel theme. Lots of people contributed due to the haste of it and... then happened the car chase.

The car chase is credited to Don Harper and, I think, Steven Stern. The crucial name here is Harper, who at the time was the main assistant to Mark Mancina, but contributed additional music to Broken Arrow (the first half of the film was helped by HGW, the second by Harper). However, in the middle of writing the cue... Harper decided to go on vacation, which led Zimmer never to work with again (he stayed, loyally, with Mancina), so in truth most of the cue was actually written (and many times rewritten) by Harry Gregson-Williams (there is a Zimmer quote about it which I don't remember at this moment, quite hilarious). Some people claim that it's perhaps even the beginning of HGW's personal style (namely Edmund Meinerts) and perhaps there's merit to that, but that's always been the least favorite cue of mine.

When it comes to Zimmer's contributions the sure-fire cue is the chopper flight to Alcatraz (the SEAL incursion) . There is a prominent thank-you to (wrongly hyphenated) James Newton Howard, which led to rumors of ghostwriting. As Hans recalled, what happened was that Hans called JNH if he can rip off a cue of his and JNH agreed. The cue would be this one, as presented in the second half of Rock House Jail (took me a while to get the joke, years, literally) or The Mission (as it's called on boots). They were already great friends after Hans graciously gave Howard his sample library to facilitate the very, very quick deadlines of Waterworld.

Complete mess. And for some reason, the most messy MV/RCP scores have to be Bruckheimer productions, even if they didn't actually originally have RCP/MV composers (Armaggeddon is another one, oh that one is beautiful).
  22. It may have been about physical CDs when the topic was started way back in 2007 but things have moved on!

What I tend to do now is note down the albums that I am interested in listening to and add them to a database I maintain on all "my" albums (now it's a mix of physical CDs, bought digital albums and my 'albums of interest').

Albums I purchase nowadays tend to be limited edition releases (not available as digital purchases) and obscure titles that I think won't last long on streaming services or don't have a presence of streaming services or YouTube.

I usually have about 20-30 'albums of interest' a week (both albums for new titles or new releases of old titles) and currently I have about 150 releases from 2021 titles that I am working my way through listening.
  23. FalkirkBairn wrote
    THE ROCK, is one that I would single out in particular as a favourite of mine. Love the action scoring and love the build up to the film's climax. But, I always find the music for the car chase sticks out as being not that integrated with the rest. So much so that it feels like how a piece of source music would sound having been dropped into the middle of the movie/album.

Also, one of the worst album programming ideas ever was dropping this one right at the very end of the album. I was never the biggest fan of it, but I never skipped it, unlike the two last tracks of my all-time favorite score, which I do on a regular basis... :mrgreen:
  24. Thanks Pawel for the extensive comment on THE ROCK. I look forward to you recounting the story 'in detail'! wink