• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    If you like Middle eastern music, check out Cyril Morin's work and from Amar, check out Bab'Aziz and Va, vis et deviens as well as La Terre vue du ciel. You'll love them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    I listened to Bab'Aziz earlier but lost the CD before I finished it... will check out again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Kite Runner by Alberto Iglesias is very good too, and of course Peter Gabriel's THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Kite Runner by Alberto Iglesias is very good too, and of course Peter Gabriel's THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.

I have both of them, love them! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    John Debney: Valentine's Day

John Debney is set to score his fifth film for veteran director Garry Marshall, following two Princess Diaries films, Raising Helen and Georgia Rule. The new title is Valentine's Day, which is yet another romantic comedy in Debney's filmography.

For more info visit the original news' source:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … s-day.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    What is it with light-hearted lil'crappy comedy films these days? Almost the majority of upcoming film scores' assignments i read about these days are all about this kind of films; who's scoring the serious ones confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    Does he talk about how long he took him to dig out the rejected pieces from PASSION and put them on a CD? ;0
  1. Your enthusiasm for this score can´t exactly be described as epic, can it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Let's just say there are SO MUCH BETTER examples of film music out there to generate an "epic enthusiasm" over, than something with a fancy name-tag on it than nobody would listen if it was absent. And this, from one of the biggest fans of his PASSION work.
  2. I haven´t heard Soraya yet, but I´d like to. Even if it is a bit more quiet and ambient, I don´t care, since I´ve got a lot of uses for good background music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why not listen to actually GOOD middle-eastern film music instead? Why wouldn't i say that you're going for it 'cause of the name-tag alone, for example? (Not that's anything wrong with it, i am just saying wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited
    I see.

Examples, then. What should I listen to? But I warn you. I like Gladiator a lot. Even the reused stuff in Transformers: RotF. You can give me wailing women every time. Oh, I forgot to mention Lair (its wailing women, I mean). And yes, I know that´s not what midlle-eastern music is about. So give me the real thing then and we´ll see.

Does it help that I LOVE Gabriel´s Last Temptation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, Danna's Ararat which we've been discussing earlier is a definite winner!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I´ll give it a try, then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's nothing wrong with liking GLADIATOR, LAST TEMPTATION and LAIR. I like those too, but that doesn't mean i have to listen to like anything those composers write next just of the name tag, that's my point.

Arman Amar's scores are a real treat, esp. HOME and Bab'Aziz, Cyril Morin has written some nice ethnic music too, Danna's ARARAT is a real treat, Bruno Coulais' Belphégor - Le fantôme du Louvre is a dark gem in the genre although not as easy a listen as the rest listed here and of course the top of the list that are Yvan Cassar's Massai - Les guerriers de la pluie and L'odyssée de l'espècee and the list is even bigger; but these scores do not sound like hollywood composers playing around with duduk and female vocals with no purpose or aim, i shall warn you. This is music coming from ethnomusicologists, from people who know their stuff. (That characterization doesn't apply to Gladiator, Lair and the scores you mentioned btw, which are very, very good, but only in SORAYA in this case and numerous other cases if we were to expand).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And there's this post here, in the beginning of this thread.
  4. Wow, thanks for the list. I´ll see what I can do. smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    Yes, GSA finally confirms Debney's involvement with Iron Man 2. No more Djawadi electric guitar crap! punk
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    I hope Debney outdoes himself this time smile I hope we'll be getting something that's far away his generic scoring during the last 2 years or so, 'cause that is equally boring to Djawadi's score, imo. Only not as crap wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Very nice! Looking forward to this.
  5. Matt C wrote
    Yes, GSA finally confirms Debney's involvement with Iron Man 2. No more Djawadi electric guitar crap! punk

It could still be that we get Debney electric guitar crap! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Debney would certainly not be my first choice for this, but I find it to be unusually satisfying news that he's doing it. At last somebody has fought back against the seemingly-unstoppable force of mediocrity led by you-know-who. I feel like burning my bra or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Debney would certainly not be my first choice for this, but I find it to be unusually satisfying news that he's doing it. At last somebody has fought back against the seemingly-unstoppable force of mediocrity led by you-know-who. I feel like burning my bra or something.

biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Matt C wrote

It could still be that we get Debney electric guitar crap! biggrin

Not if it's like the opening tracks from SCORPION KING. wink punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Don´t get me wrong, I like Debney´s electric guitar crap. I was just referring to the fact that Debney used those, too. And, BTW, I liked the original Iron Man score, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was sure you do wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Yeah, I LOVE to like stuff. It´s a lot more satisfying than hating stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's very few things in this world that i hate, personally speaking. Mostly idiots wink The rest i just ignore, not hate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I hated the Iron Man score. It seemed to be everything that a film score should not be, and nothing that one should be.

It's much nicer to like things than to dislike things, but clearly impossible to just choose to like something even though you think it's hideous.