• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Thor wrote
    I love it -- one of the best things Debney has ever done. Not terribly original (when was Debney ever?), but there's something about the religious on-the-nose music here that appeals to me very much. That being said, I have no desire for any extra music of any kind. The original release is the perfect concept album the way it is, with a perfect build-up towards the "Ressurection" centerpiece track.

I love it, it's an expansion on the brilliant PASSION by Peter Gabriel, love those 2 scores, personal bests and favorites, mean a lot to me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's boring as shit, never understood the appeal of this score or its subsequent symphony.

Seriously? one of the best scores ever written, imo.

It may be. I can't stand it, it's overbearing. When it comes to Baby Jebus music, Miklós Rózsa is my man.
  1. Is it possible Steven, that your general attitude towards religion bears a wee bit upon your judgement?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. O, I see. Question answered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Is it possible Steven, that your general attitude towards religion bears a wee bit upon your judgement?

I'm always wary of whether this issue will surface, which is why I'm always careful to preface anything negative about religious music with the following:

Steven wrote
    I usually love religious music, but Debney's is not for me. Especially the ethnic stuff.

So no, it doesn't bear any relation to the music whatsoever. The music can be written by a child rapist for all I care, if the music is good, I'll enjoy it on its own merits. (Although the one would hope the composer is working at a desk behind bars.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Is it possible Steven, that your general attitude towards religion bears a wee bit upon your judgement?

FACT! He's a voodoo master, that says it all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In fact I would go further than that and admit that I like music because it's religious. Like Thor, I very much enjoy the religious sound. So there goes your theory. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I dig ethnic-inspired music too, so for me it's the best of both worlds.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's boring as shit, never understood the appeal of this score or its subsequent symphony.

Seriously? one of the best scores ever written, imo.

It may be. I can't stand it, it's overbearing. When it comes to Baby Jebus music, Miklós Rózsa is my man.

I'm with you. I'll take my "religious" music from the great masters like Rozsa and Alfred Newman. I think I might like Passion of The Jeebus a little bit more than you but, like you, I've never understood the lauded appeal it's received by fans.

Didn't John Debney say something about the spirit of god entering him when he wrote this score? If so, how come it sounds nothing like Ralph Vaughan Williams???

Mans either talking out his arse or he was entered by Bill Cosby.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll tell you what, that sentence he put out is indeed a bit mockable or giggle-inducing, but certainly something mental must have happened in his life 'cause never before or after that he's been so passionate, emotional and inspired. That score is Gold, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Didn't John Debney say something about the spirit of god entering him when he wrote this score? If so, how come it sounds nothing like Ralph Vaughan Williams???

Now that's religious music I like. punk (Or should I say agnostic?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Agnostic is probably right. RVW himself wasn't a religious man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If memory serves, he did have a somewhat misty-eyed view of it though? (I'm assuming Christianity.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Again you are possibly right but I don't remember, the comment about him not being religious was from an interview I watched with his widow, Ursula.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We're referring to Vaughan Williams.
  3. Out of pure curiosity, when it comes to what could be called "English sound", was there a composer who'd be somewhere between Vaughan Williams and Elgar? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Isn't the "English Sound" commonly called "pastoral"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sorry, was talking about Debney's inspiration for Passion of the Christ
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't really know Pawel? There's Frederick Delius ( a fine English name ), but he's in the same time frame as Edward Elgar, just lesser known. And Gustav Holst ( a fine English name ) was one of Vaughan Williams best friends so he's out too.

Good question Pawel, I think I'll have to look into this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Oh do keep up D, dear chap. We're talking about TITANS! GODS!!!! Not mortals. wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    I don't really know Pawel? There's Frederick Delius ( a fine English name ), but he's in the same time frame as Edward Elgar, just lesser known. And Gustav Holst ( a fine English name ) was one of Vaughan Williams best friends so he's out too.

I don't mean time-wise, but rather sound-wise, if I may say so smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Not English but Richard Strauss?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Isn't the "English Sound" commonly called "pastoral"?

Mostly Vaughan Williams and to a lesser extent John Ireland and Gustav Holst.

The likes of Edward Elgar followed more in the Germanic tradition. Going to the like of Benjamin Britten is wholly different again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't mean time-wise, but rather sound-wise, if I may say so smile

I'm afraid it's too much of a grey area for me to comment on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Oh do keep up D, dear chap. We're talking about TITANS! GODS!!!! Not mortals. wink

Ah, don't really like that English guy i am afraid wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Bob do you know if there will be extra music on this one or just the interviews?

I don't know anything beyond Debney's post, so all is just speculation. Looking at the film version there's some room for expansion, but not much and no significant pieces. Still, you'd say LaLaLand wouldn't release the same musical content as the regular album and throw in a few extra's. We'll see.

The major attraction would be the Symphony but there's only a live performance of it. Still, there was a DVD issued of it so also a proper recording. One would hope they'd remaster it and get some audience noise out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Bob do you know if there will be extra music on this one or just the interviews?

I don't know anything beyond Debney's post, so all is just speculation. Looking at the film version there's some room for expansion, but not much and no significant pieces. Still, you'd say LaLaLand wouldn't release the same musical content as the regular album and throw in a few extra's. We'll see.

The major attraction would be the Symphony but there's only a live performance of it. Still, there was a DVD issued of it so also a proper recording. One would hope they'd remaster it and get some audience noise out.

The symphony is fantastic smile
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Out of pure curiosity, when it comes to what could be called "English sound", was there a composer who'd be somewhere between Vaughan Williams and Elgar? smile

Is this wiki article of any use to you?
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube