• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009
    Thor wrote
    First it was outer space, then it was Earth and now it takes place on the attic?!?

That's recession for you. wink
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    timme wrote
    There's an interview with John Debney online on www.filmmusicsite.com. He talks about his latest films such as The Stoning of Soraya M, Hotel for Dogs, Hannah Montana: the Movie, his additional music for The Mummy, Aliens in the Attic, A 1000 Words and Iron Man 2.

So he IS scoring IM2????? If that's true, it'll make my day! WHOOO! I listened to the whole interview and he said it "looks like" he's scoring it, which possibly means they're negotiating it for him but it's not a done deal yet.

Oh and I was a very big supporter of Debney doing IM1, so it definitely seems the producers listened to Favreau after the disaster of a score they received for the first film. I don't think Debney ever said he was going to score IM1, but I remember in a couple interviews before the film came out (and even after it came out), he expressed his strong desire to score the movie because of his ongoing relationship with Favreau.

I'm sure he was considered, as it probably was between Debney and Djawadi for the first film, and the producers decided to go with the "safer" bet for a blockbuster action film these days, which in Hollywood (sadly) is Zimmer & Co.

I don't think Debney would have said anything if it wasn't "for sure," but like I said, it's probably being negotiated.

CAN'T WAIT TIL OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    I'm still pretty sure, that James Horner will score Iron Man 2! ;-)
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    They finally trusted Favreau?

perhaps Favreau always wanted John to be on board of Iron Man, and perhaps several producers wanted a new ?fetching cool? sound instead?

I think the real problem lies here with the producers and their "knowledge" of what film music needs to be like

Favreau wanted Debney from the get go
    at least that's my opinion

Interesting. Under this excuse, it seems that all the world's reasonable and knowledgeable producers are working with people like John Williams, Horner, Rombi, Desplat, Giacchino and in the past with Jerry Goldsmith, Poledouris, Kamen and co. tongue

John Debney still isn't on the same league as those composers, he hasn't got that established name yet. But I'm fairly confident Favreau always wanted to work with John Debney. But perhaps several people thought a different sound would be better.

Remember the Legend fiasco? Ridley Scott wanted nothing less than to work with Jerry Goldsmith, but the producers wanted the Tangerine Dream sound instead. Result FIASCO. And don't tell me Ridley Scott or Jerry Goldsmith haven't got the alure. wink

So for me it were the producers. And now they've heard all those bad reviews of the score of the first, and realised well let's get that other dude back then, the one Favreau wanted in the first place

I think I rest my case wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009 edited
    Not that Goldsmith's LEGEND score was anything brilliant, was it? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

well, I think it is a little unappreciated gem. It is not brilliant but above par nonetheless.
    And Goldsmith is better than most of the composers today anyway
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009
    Well, no doubt about that last sentence. But i wouldn't agree with "and all Goldsmith scores are better than most composers today anyway".
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, no doubt about that last sentence. But i wouldn't agree with "and all Goldsmith scores are better than most composers today anyway".

not totally, but the man's inventive mind surely made it a pleasure to listen to, other composers just repeat their exact same voice

but I can honestly say there are several out there that truly show you "still" worthy film music
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

You tread thin ice here Greekman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You tread thin ice here Greekman.

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009
    His assignment for IRON MAN 2 seems to be official:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41712
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    IF it is true, I´m really glad they decided to hire him. He said in an interview a while ago that he had some pretty good stuff saved in case he was called to do the second part.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope so!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That'll be very good! punk
  6. Yeah, no more Djawadiisms!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, Debney's outcome for the last couple of years is certainly better than Djawadi, but overall still average. I am not excited but i'll wait and see (rather i should say "hear").
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, Debney's outcome for the last couple of years is certainly better than Djawadi, but overall still average. I am not excited but i'll wait and see (rather i should say "hear").

And what's more -- he's had time to think about it and come up with aideas, so there's no excuse this time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. I´m not sure what to expect. The Scorpion King shows that Debney is perfectly able to mix Rock with an orchestra, but I prefer the purely orchestral tracks to those containing Rock. On the other hand, I´m one of those rare guys who think that Djawadi´s score fit the movie, so I´m interested to hear how this one turns out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    The scorpion king's fun only at its first third, at least as presented on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    The scorpion king's fun only at its first third, at least as presented on CD.

AAAAaaaaaand...you're wrong.
    tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. I'm recently in love with the eponymous track from The Stoning of Soraya M.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm recently in love with the eponymous track from The Stoning of Soraya M.

I like it; but i'd take PASSION over it anytime, plus the fact that from track 02 to end of Soraya, there's constant duduk - middle eastern underscore with no specific rhythms or melodies, just improvisations which are really diminishing the overall listening experience on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It certainly isn't as good as Passion but I think it's still a very fine and emotional score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am trying to understand where do people find emotion in one hour's worth of dizzy middle eastern improvisation but i fail; the score has no themes or motifs whatsoever, apart the opening track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Not all of it, but some tracks and main titles are pretty warm IMO, especially They Looked Away As I Died, The Meadow, the above mentioned eponymous track and The Gentleness Of Passing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree; that's 2 tracks smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    4 tracks wink

Still enjoyable though. Perhaps because I like the haunting ethnic music tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listen to Amar instead wink His earliest scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, I just got Home. It's very good!