• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    He's a composing whore, he'll take any job.

...okay, so maybe a little harsh. But I think he treats it more like a 'job' than most other composers considering the crap he scores. Sure, he's an artist when needs be... but mostly a gun for hire.

Yes you may be right, but a composer of the A list I think should be more selective with what he works on.

Yup... because SPACECAMP was a brilliant move on Williams' part... and all those masterpieces that Goldsmith composed over the years... MOM AND DAD SAVES THE WORLD anyone? wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Well, he needs to feed his kids, right? I think the problem more lies with the director's that hire him. I can't blame him for taking the jobs he gets offered, I'm sure he'd prefer the better jobs as well.

Would it be too hard to believe that he actually LIKES working these projects.

-Erik-

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Well, he needs to feed his kids, right? I think the problem more lies with the director's that hire him. I can't blame him for taking the jobs he gets offered, I'm sure he'd prefer the better jobs as well.

-Erik-

Yes.

Why? Where has Debney indicated that he DOESN'T like working on these projects.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He told me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

Yes you may be right, but a composer of the A list I think should be more selective with what he works on.

That is completely correct. People will start loosing respect in your business if you just take up any kind of crap that comes aLONG!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    He told me.

'fraid you been stomped on pal tongue smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Erik Woods wrote

Don't know - maybe a couple now and then, but I'm sure he would like to do some more "serious" scores. At least he told me so when I interviewed him around the time of "Passion of the Christ". Also, I had a feeling that the change of agency a while ago (from Kraft-Engel to Gorfaine-Schwartz - do agents always come in pairs?) was a move triggered by an ambition to see a change in focus?

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Still didn't answer my question. As much as Debney would like to do more serious work... and I don't blame him... does he enjoy doing the family films and romantic comedies or not?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why does he say yes to these?

Is he trying to get on bigger projects and failing?

Is he offered bigger projects but says no to them?

The same goes for David Newman. dizzy sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Still didn't answer my question. As much as Debney would like to do more serious work... and I don't blame him... does he enjoy doing the family films and romantic comedies or not?

-Erik-

Well those are surely faster and easier films to score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well those are surely faster and easier films to score.

I don't think writing music for ANY film is easy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well, there's ABSOLUTELY nothing to enjoy there other than easily and quickly putting a fat cheque in your pocket mate; no artistic or musical value whatsoever, no creativity. If you're in for the first one then hell yeah you'll enjoy those projects!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, a few hundred thousand dollars in your wallet despite how bad the film is...I could live that life easily...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well, there's ABSOLUTELY nothing to enjoy there other than easily and quickly putting a fat cheque in your pocket mate; no artistic or musical value whatsoever, no creativity. If you're in for the first one then hell yeah you'll enjoy those projects!

I'm shocked to read that statement above especially coming from some one like you, Demetris. Absolutely shocked! You just simply implied that writing music for films of this sort is a write off and composer doesn't put in a full effort. rolleyes Demetris... you know that 110% bullshit! For instance, even though it wasn't a Debney effort, would you say that Eight Below, a family film with a great score by Isham was just phoned in? Give me a break, Demetris. And no... that's not the only example I could come up with but as this very moment I have to change a shitty diaper but if you wish for me to continue later I will.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, Debney produces those scores in mass production. There's nothing common between Isham's brilliant score for EIGHT BELOW and the vast majority of Debney's light-hearted comedy scores and you know that. You just compared the movies' genres but not the actual scores which are nothing alike. I didn't say it requires no effort but for someone with the abilities and musicianship of Debney, to even try to compare those few gigglin vioilns and light rings n bells with mickey mousing here and a deadly generic sugary main theme there - scores with something in the likes of DRAGONFLY, PASSION OF THE CHRIST, LAIR or CUTTHROAT ISLAND is simply ridiculous. I know you might have personal relationships with Debney or you're really into what he does in general and i respect that but the difference in all aspects -but mainly musically, here is SHOUTING. Let's not pretend.

Notice i am not generalizing here about the family comedy genre. I am talking specifically about those thousand-heard americanized scores of the genre like the ant bully, cheaper by the dozen 2, christmas with the kranks, The Princess Diaries, snow dogs and other forgettable, generic with no personality stuff like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    In a way it's just a quick buck for Debney, but he does it pretty well and who can blame him? If he was offered a choice between this and the latest Scorsese or Spielberg film he wouldn't do it, but if he doesn't have that choice..? I've got little interest in film music for this sort of film, but I don't think it's necessarily easy to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't blame him either for the extra bucks! Hell i would do it too if i was in his positiong! It's just that, nothing more, nothing less.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    He's probably still feeling the sting from not being hired for Iron Man (btw you can listen to a sample of what Djawadi did for Iron Man that I posted in his thread, utter crap!). What a shame as the movie looks very promising.

Anyways, this announcement is a disappointment. But his music for these types of movies isn't bad at all. I mean it may not be spectacular, but he still writes very enjoyable music for these types of movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    MEET DAVE
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by John Debney

Eddie Murphy

Dave Ming Chang (Eddie Murphy), newly arrived in New York City, may be the ultimate fish out of water. There’s something about him that’s not quite right — for starters, he seems remarkably out of place and uncomfortable in his own body. And for good reason: “Dave” is not a man at all, but a ship made in the image of its miniature-sized captain. It’s Eddie Murphy in Eddie Murphy in MEET DAVE.

John Debney’s sci-fi score packs a wallop. This score is big!

20th Century Fox will open MEET DAVE nationwide on July 11.

Varèse Sarabande Cataolg #: 302 066 906 2
    Release Date: 07/01/08
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Good News! Been waiting some time for new Debney music.

Just checked out his website after hearing this news and noticed two new sound clips: one from Meet Dave, and one from his other summer release (which I'm actually eagerly anticipating because of the all-star cast: Kevin Costner, Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper, etc.) the comedy/drama Swing Vote.

Both clips sound pretty good. Meet Dave has a little E.T.-ish and Zathura feel to it (but what's up with that electric guitar at the beginning of the clip? At least it doesn't last that long) but a little louder and I like it! The Swing Vote clip is in the same vein as his Dreamer score, which I also enjoyed a lot as well. A little piano and some guitar. Sounded very melodic and sweet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mostly looking forward to the SWING VOTE, 'cause of the descriptions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas wrote
    MEET DAVE
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by John Debney

Eddie Murphy

Dave Ming Chang (Eddie Murphy), newly arrived in New York City, may be the ultimate fish out of water. There’s something about him that’s not quite right — for starters, he seems remarkably out of place and uncomfortable in his own body. And for good reason: “Dave” is not a man at all, but a ship made in the image of its miniature-sized captain. It’s Eddie Murphy in Eddie Murphy in MEET DAVE.

John Debney’s sci-fi score packs a wallop. This score is big!

20th Century Fox will open MEET DAVE nationwide on July 11.

Varèse Sarabande Cataolg #: 302 066 906 2
    Release Date: 07/01/08

The premise sounds intrigueing but something tells me this'll be a crock o' shite!

the film not the scoe wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The trailer is horrible.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Will it actually be a sci fi score?

I'm thinking Zathura, only better.....are my expectations too high?
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Well from that clip on his website, it sounds pretty good. Check it out. But that clip from Swing Vote sounds great. Listen to both of em'
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    Cover and tracklisting:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D906%2D2

1. Orb Arrives on Earth (01:33)
    2. Dave Comes to Earth (01:41)
    3. Gina Runs into Dave (01:22)
    4. Dave's System Check (02:22)
    5. Addressing the Crew (01:01)
    6. Drunken Man in Alley (01:41)
    7. Whipping Eggs (01:13)
    8. A Kiss In the Park (00:56)
    9. Welcome to Old Navy (01:55)
    10. Deli Robbers (01:53)
    11. Gina's Painting (01:24)
    12. Urban Camping with Dave (01:32)
    13. Dave to the Rescue (01:19)
    14. Standoff (01:01)
    15. I'm in Charge Now (01:19)
    16. Evil Dave Blasts Police Station (01:22)
    17. Reinforcements Arrive (00:49)
    18. Never Argue with a Female (01:11)
    19. Betrayal / Mini Dave No. 3 (02:56)
    20. Saved by the Bugs / Dave's True Feelings (01:33)
    21. Hailing a Cab (00:44)
    22. The Battle Begins (02:10)
    23. I Am Dave Ming Chang (02:05)
    24. Saving Earth (01:22)
    25. Power Shutdown (01:24)
    26. Mini Dave Apologizes (02:56)
    27. Blast off and Return (02:12)
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, Debney produces those scores in mass production. There's nothing common between Isham's brilliant score for EIGHT BELOW and the vast majority of Debney's light-hearted comedy scores and you know that. You just compared the movies' genres but not the actual scores which are nothing alike. I didn't say it requires no effort but for someone with the abilities and musicianship of Debney, to even try to compare those few gigglin vioilns and light rings n bells with mickey mousing here and a deadly generic sugary main theme there - scores with something in the likes of DRAGONFLY, PASSION OF THE CHRIST, LAIR or CUTTHROAT ISLAND is simply ridiculous. I know you might have personal relationships with Debney or you're really into what he does in general and i respect that but the difference in all aspects -but mainly musically, here is SHOUTING. Let's not pretend.

Notice i am not generalizing here about the family comedy genre. I am talking specifically about those thousand-heard americanized scores of the genre like the ant bully, cheaper by the dozen 2, christmas with the kranks, The Princess Diaries, snow dogs and other forgettable, generic with no personality stuff like that.

I agree with this completely. Debney doesn't make those light comedy-scores for the artistic value and appreciation. Hollywood asks, he delivers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008
    JuPe wrote
    Cover and tracklisting:

Massive!! punk
  1. DemonStar wrote
    JuPe wrote
    Cover and tracklisting:

Massive!! punk

massive , but again short tracks. Hope he can develop to something
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008
    Oh well... these days either tracks as short as 0:30 or suites like 12:00 long seem to have become the fashion, the intermediate length tracks seem to be going tongue rolleyes