• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Well, Debney remains Debney. Personally I think he's not the brightest musical voice out there. His music is often - bit like his choices he makes with projects - average and routined. I don't have much against it but nothin' for it as well. And I know a LOT of people seem to simply ADORE 'The Passion' music. but even then if you compare it to what other composers did with the same story, he falls short. Just listen to the STUNNING score Jeff Danna wrote for 'Gospel of John'. far more appealing, honest in tone and poignant than anything on the 'passion' album. Furthermore Danna did a huge amount of research and you can hear it in every note he has written for this true gem! And no John Debney, they didn't have synth's back in those days... check again Johnny boy! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    New project for John:

THEY CAME FROM UPSTAIRS

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … tairs.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mikael, has it been confirmed that Debney rewrote some of the score for The Mummy 3?
  1. Debney did; I am in the process of hunting down how much. May not turn anything uo, but I am hunting.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    moviescore wrote
    New project for John:

THEY CAME FROM UPSTAIRS

"The film is about a bunch of kids who fights to protect their vacation home from invading aliens."

Wonderful. rolleyes sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joris wrote
    Well, Debney remains Debney. Personally I think he's not the brightest musical voice out there. His music is often - bit like his choices he makes with projects - average and routined. I don't have much against it but nothin' for it as well. And I know a LOT of people seem to simply ADORE 'The Passion' music. but even then if you compare it to what other composers did with the same story, he falls short. Just listen to the STUNNING score Jeff Danna wrote for 'Gospel of John'. far more appealing, honest in tone and poignant than anything on the 'passion' album. Furthermore Danna did a huge amount of research and you can hear it in every note he has written for this true gem! And no John Debney, they didn't have synth's back in those days... check again Johnny boy! biggrin

Gospel of John is gorgeous but THE PASSION is of a completely different style and musical approach, doesn't mean it is the slightest bit inferior to Danna's score, imo. The passion of the Christ (including the symphony) is easily the most outstanding work by Debney ever and i don't think he'll ever match or surpass it, especially with the load of mediocre crap he's assigned to lately.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    Well, "Meet Dave" isn't much, sorry
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    you are right Christo. Comparing is not always the right thing to do. So I'll stick with Gospel because even Debney's best (passion) doesn't quite live up to my standard of great music.

Jesus Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Southall wrote
    Mikael, has it been confirmed that Debney rewrote some of the score for The Mummy 3?

Yes, John wrote about 30 minutes of replacement music for the film, mostly action sequences.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wonder if there will be any consequence for Varese's CD. I guess not.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Probably not... but on the other hand 30 minutes of music is quite substantial... I am not surprised by the way, I never really thought Randy Edelman was very good at action. He has a gift for melody, big anthems such as the themes from Gettysburg and Dragon, but I presume in a film like Mummy 3 there is a lot of hits to nail during every action sequence, and Randy never really writes that kind of music...

Even if Debney is the kind of composer who quite often is criticized for not having a strong and unique voice of his own, you have to admit that he really delivers... The cues he wrote for Spider-Man 2 in a similar case was just right for those scenes...

I wish he would do more hardhitting action, sci-fi and adventures - does everything he composes have to have a comedic/family element? - it's what he does best!

mc
  2. One question. Was Debney's material also performed by the LSO? Or they rescored it with AFM musicians?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    I'm just wondering why Debney always comes to their mind for last minute replacement scores. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008 edited
    Sylvos wrote
    I'm just wondering why Debney always comes to their mind for last minute replacement scores. slant

Maybe they temped the picture with music from The Scorpion King and wanted the guy who wrote that music. And maybe Debney has this unique ability to churn out GREAT music in such little time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    And maybe Debney has this unique ability to churn out GREAT music in such little time.

Exactly my thought! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A cynic might say that he's the ideal man to write replacement music because his stuff is so generic, it would blend in with anything.
  3. His music may be bland and generic but he rarely writes a really bad score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very true. As I said in my recent Meet Dave review, I would much rather have Debney's slightly soulless but ultimately rather enjoyable type of score in an action movie than the soulless but far less interesting type of score from you-know-who's brigade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008 edited
    Maybe because producers know he's a film scoring whore and will do anything as long as the price is right?

(Do take that comment with a pinch of salt, I like Debney. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Debney has written his own music library of material that can cover most movies.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Debney's music is suitable for it's causes for sure. But ask yourself if you would pay the money for those soundtrack releases? In my case, certainly NOT! There's enough interesting and much better filmmusic out there to buy so i'll save up for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    A cynic might say that he's the ideal man to write replacement music because his stuff is so generic, it would blend in with anything.

Are we talking about the man who wrote Cutthroat Island, Passion of the Christ, and Lair?
    Jesus Christ, some people really know how to avoid having fun, don´t they? rolleyes
  4. What about the 100 other Debney scores that are not as good? We should only judge him by the handful of scores that are really good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Southall wrote

Are we talking about the man who wrote Cutthroat Island, Passion of the Christ, and Lair?
    Jesus Christ, some people really know how to avoid having fun, don´t they? rolleyes

biggrin
    I have little to add to the Kruhmman!
    When he's right, he's right.

(Even though he was very wrong on Big Fish tongue )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Southall wrote

They're all fine - but they're still extremely generic! I wasn't saying he's bad, just generic. Those three are all thinly-disguised temp-track rewrites which are written entirely in the style of other composers (Cutthroat Island is just Debney's impression of David Arnold's scores for Emmerich - though in this case is arguably actually better than them, Passion of the Christ is just Last Temptation of Christ crossed with Gladiator, and Lair is mostly Star Wars prequel scores). I enjoy all three (well, not so much Lair - it's just too similar to other, better things) and have fun when listening. I'm just pointing out that his music is generic. Surely nobody can argue with that. There's nothing unique that John Debney brings to a film score that plenty of other film composers couldn't also bring.
  5. Passion of the Christ is just Last Temptation of Christ crossed with Gladiator...

Nice pun! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't hum one Debney theme from memory.
    Tom smile
  6. I actually tended to hum Bearing the Cross from Passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Debney's portion of the MUMMY score was recorded here in LA., using Edelman's themes. It wasn't so much of a "replacement score" so much as it was a similar situation with Debney's involvement on LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION. At least, that's my understanding/interpretation.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it