• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    They make out as though it's a particularly novel thing we're getting a new score from Debney!

Innit! rolleyes

Debney seems stuck scoring hideous dross but I suppose it puts food on the table!?

I'm sure Debney could more than survive on the money he's made already... which begs the question, why be such a composing whore when you have the talent to actually do greater things? I just don't get Debney. Why is it someone with so much talent continually scores garbage? Does he really like putting his talents to such use? I know "arteests" can suffer from too much pretense and pride, but Debney doesn't have enough of it! dizzy

Maybe these types of films are all he is being offered and since film composing is what he does for a living he takes what he can get. And maybe he truly loves to work on thoaw loq grade romantic comedies. Maybe one of the producers is a friend of his who he has worked with countless times. Who knows... but he has a job to do and maybe being selective isn't an option for Debney.

-Erik-

Well of course, there must be some reason. I just can't fathom it, that's the point I'm making! And venting a little frustration. He's capable of better things. Oh well, can't win 'em all I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Why is it so hard to believe. Just look at such composers as Cliff Eidelman, Bruce Broughton and Joel McNeely. Fantastic composers stuck doing third rate Disney direct to vidoe sequels and uninteresting teen-comedies. Sure, it sucks that they aren't working on more Star Trek's, Silverado's or Young Indy's but they have to make a living and if third rate Disney sequels are all they can get right now they HAVE to take it to survive.

Look, I don't like it either, especially when I see so many second rate composers attached to big blockbusters when composers like Eidelman, Broughton and McNeely could blow them out of the water are stuck with another cruddy Dane Cook comedy. BTW, Dane Cook and comedy aren't good bedfellows. Anyway, this unfortunately is the sad, sad truth of film music these days.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    Eidelman, Broughton, McNeely, they're all scoring films at a much lesser frequency and at a much lower profile than Debney's films. Debney might be scoring a lot of crap, but it's high profile crap. I guess I'm more frustrated with Debney because a composer in his position could surely be more selective? These other guys, they don't have that luxury to quite the degree. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Eidelman, Broughton, McNeely, they're all scoring films at a much lesser frequency and at a much lower profile than Debney's films. Debney might be scoring a lot of crap, but it's high profile crap. I guess I'm more frustrated with Debney because a composer in his position could surely be more selective? These other guys, they don't have that luxury to quite the degree. sad

And what position is Debney in exactly?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    They make out as though it's a particularly novel thing we're getting a new score from Debney!

Innit! rolleyes

Debney seems stuck scoring hideous dross but I suppose it puts food on the table!?

I'm sure Debney could more than survive on the money he's made already... which begs the question, why be such a composing whore when you have the talent to actually do greater things? I just don't get Debney. Why is it someone with so much talent continually scores garbage? Does he really like putting his talents to such use? I know "arteests" can suffer from too much pretense and pride, but Debney doesn't have enough of it! dizzy

How are you so sure he "could more than survive on the money he's made already"? We don't know anything about his circumstances, his family life, how big his home(s?) are or whether he's spent all his cash on booze, drugs and fast women? Cash wise I'd bet he's an utter pauper compared with the likes of Barry, Williams & Zimmer et el.

Unless you know something I don't? wink

Maybe a tad crassly put but the same point.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

And what position is Debney in exactly?

-Erik-

I don't know! Rubbing shoulders with a lot of produces I guess!? Jesus, I was just saying he scores crap and wondering why! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    fast women?

Fast women?! shocked Where do i get one of thosE?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    fast women?

Not so much where you get them but what you have to be to get them wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    fast women?

Running tracks...crack dens...your choice really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Debney gets them? No way!

On a more serious note, and an answer to Debney's Spain comment ""It's REALLY EASY to write this kind of music"

WELL, IT IS EASY when you score them like cliched hollywood comedic crap music! Just listen to how people like Rombi or Desplat score romantic comedies and then we talk again! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    And Debney gets them? No way!

On a more serious note, and an answer to Debney's Spain comment ""It's REALLY EASY to write this kind of music"

WELL, IT IS EASY when you score them like cliched hollywood comedic crap music! Just listen to how people like Rombi or Desplat score romantic comedies and then we talk again! rolleyes

Word.
  1. ... and Joel McNeely. Fantastic composers stuck doing third rate Disney direct to vidoe sequels and uninteresting teen-comedies. Sure, it sucks that they aren't working on more Star Trek's, Silverado's or Young Indy's but they have to make a living and if third rate Disney sequels are all they can get right now they HAVE to take it to survive.

Hasn't McNeely been scoring a few brand new driect-to-DVD Young Indy features?

And you don't get "fast women" at the track; they can out run you. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    There's new Young Indy stuff? Huh?
  2. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002304/

And there are two in 2008, with both Joel McNeely and Rosenthal listed as the composer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    Trivia:
    Originally scheduled to be released on VHS in 2000, but put on hold owing to poor sales on the first batch of 'Adventures of Young Indiana Jones' tapes. This chapter was finally released on disc 4 of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume Three, April 29, 2008.
  3. New project for Debney (kind of a strange one, could be interesting though):

The Stoning of Soraya M.: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277737/maindetails
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for Debney (kind of a strange one, could be interesting though):

What's the source for this please? smile
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for Debney (kind of a strange one, could be interesting though):

What's the source for this please? smile

http://gsamusic.com/Composers/Debney_John.pdf

Source enough? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Wasn't challenging you, just asking. Thanks
  5. There's an animated Smurfs movie coming in 2010. The director, Colin Brady, has only directed one other movie: "Everyone's Hero", and Debney did the score for that.

This is bad as that tiem a few years back when they were planning a live action Smurfs movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wasn't challenging you, just asking. Thanks

Chill D, he did put an > wink <

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008
    It's plain and simple. Compare the amount of music the guy has written with the quality he produced over his career. Then I think we can pretty honestly say that 'Passion of the Christ' was a rare exception.

Indiana Jojo
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    I think he is a great composer. He never composes anything I would consider bad. He has many things that are average, and many that are above average. Of course his best stuff is rarer than his not so great stuff, but he is still a great composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    What makes a composer great? What is your defenition to that term? For me a great composer is someone that can elevate music to something transcendental and approaches his craft as an art. Filmmusic sometimes is just that! So many artistic achievements have been contributed to this genre. And I cannot think of one score Debney wrote (perhaps 'passion' for some people) that is that kind of achievement to the genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PASSION, both score and symphony surely are, no argument about it. But i'd certainly not call Debney a 'great' composer by all means, although a highly subjective term indeed. I'd rather call PASSION a bright moment in an average-to-good composer's career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, new audio interview with JOHN DEBNEY can be found here:

http://www.scorenotes.com/

He discusses many of his recent works and also shares his thoughts on Iron Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008 edited
    Wow, 5 days to write 35 minutes of action music for The Mummy 3 shocked

About Iron Man, he couldn´t be more honest, and I totally agree:

- "If Favreau had carte blanche with his way, I gotta believe I would have probably been doing the movie......I was not enamoured with what the result was".

- "I feel that Iron Man deserves a big great score, with a great melody. Iron Man deserves his own theme".
    - "I regret that I wasn´t involved because I think I could have done something pretty special".

- "I have already written material for Iron Man, thematic material.....it´s some of the better stuff I´ve written".

The way he speaks, he seems really sincere.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Iron Man is yesterday's news. No matter how cool Debney's stuff could have been, he didn't get to do it and that's passed. I say he better try and secure the scoring duties for the sequel instead of telling us what he could have done with the one that's gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sylvos wrote
    Iron Man is yesterday's news. No matter how cool Debney's stuff could have been, he didn't get to do it and that's passed. I say he better try and secure the scoring duties for the sequel instead of telling us what he could have done with the one that's gone.

Actually he says he is saving the material he already has, just in case they hire him for the sequel.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    John Debney recently recorded his score to Hotel for Dogs with a large orchestra at the Eastwood Scoring Stage at Warner Bros. ScoringSessions.com is pleased to bring you the exclusive photos from the session!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/159/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it