• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009 edited
    I'm sure Alan in-particular will remember this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZEDNkZ2L4

Loads of great links from this one cool

Anyone else want to add???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009 edited
    Cool topic !
    The series of my childhood mmm ... memories , memories ...
    The Flashing Blade was a great series though I only saw the original French version , never the English dub .

But does someone remember this one ?
    The title theme was so exciting !

wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    I was gonna say that I wouldn't find anything in this thread, as British TV was never broadcast in The Netherlands until well into the eighties, but MAN! Arthur Of The Britons!
    THAT brings me back!
    Wasn't there an episode with Lancelot having to battle a witch in a castle?
    I just remember flashes, but it sure made an impression.

Great theme by Bernstein!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Timmer wrote
    I'm sure Alan in-particular will remember this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZEDNkZ2L4

biggrin
    This was a show that I never missed on a Saturday(?) morning. I've even used this clip (or one similar to it) to lift the theme tune for my mp3 player.

There's lots of good "related videos" associated with this clip.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Eric wrote

wink

Arthur of The Britons!! Goodness, I haven't seen/heard this in many, many years. Another show I used to watch regularly.

A clip I have is (I think) earlier than both of these. For I while I couldn't find anyone who remembered this and it wasn't until the advent of the internet that I could confirm the existence of this programme. Anyone remember...
    H.R. Pufnstuf!?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-yLYz6ejqw

I remember very little about this - which may be best looking at some of the associated clips!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Tim, do you remember the coastguard public information films with Joe and Petunia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNKg5jN4uSE

Really funny - even now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    My memory started from just 23 years ago.... So mine is this!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZB5cM_6Ru8

Chi chi chi chi chi! Anyone remember? Ravi? Panthera? Sylvos? bunny
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, do you remember the coastguard public information films with Joe and Petunia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNKg5jN4uSE

Really funny - even now.

Remember them well biggrin

It's been up-dated now Alan ( saw it recently ), exactly the same animation but calling the coastguard on a mobile wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Eric wrote

wink

Arthur of The Britons!! Goodness, I haven't seen/heard this in many, many years. Another show I used to watch regularly.

A clip I have is (I think) earlier than both of these. For I while I couldn't find anyone who remembered this and it wasn't until the advent of the internet that I could confirm the existence of this programme. Anyone remember...
    H.R. Pufnstuf!?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-yLYz6ejqw

I remember very little about this - which may be best looking at some of the associated clips!

I remember the intro well but the rest is vague though I did watch this as a kid. It looks horrendous now.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Sid & Marty Kroft who produced it were doing a lot of acid dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I was gonna say that I wouldn't find anything in this thread, as British TV was never broadcast in The Netherlands until well into the eighties, but MAN! Arthur Of The Britons!
    THAT brings me back!
    Wasn't there an episode with Lancelot having to battle a witch in a castle?
    I just remember flashes, but it sure made an impression.

Great theme by Bernstein!!

I watched the complete series recently....no Lancelot's or Guinnevere's but it does have BRIAN BLESSED as Mark of Cornwall who turns up like a bad egg in numerous episodes. It has a more realistic take on the legend, small feudal kingdoms continually warring with uneasy alliances, the episodes are short ( about 30 minutes ) and are often 'little' encapsulated stories with a moralistic ending. A brilliant cast ( Oliver Tobias who plays Arthur, if ever there was a "face" for Conan The Barbarian ) who don't look like they've come out of a BBC stage school add to the "real" feel. The violence is very tame compared with what children can watch now. Mel, who was too young to have ever remembered this when originally shown enjoyed it immensely and could "hum" you the Arthur theme if asked wink

The music to the series, by Paul Lewis, is fantastic and he uses Elmer's theme in some wonderful variations, sad, lonely, fighting, romance etc, that become library cues in many episodes.

Well done for putting the link up Eric, Elmer's theme IS brilliant! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote

Merely heard of it, nothing more.

But as Miya points out, it'll be interesting to see what our younger members here grew up with and loved?

Here's one that I love.....and I was no longer a kid when I loved it wink

here
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote

I LOVED that show! biggrin Even Dad loves Chip and Dale! I drew a sketch of them once and he still keeps that with him smile ... and I had a crush on Gadget cheesy

Also TaleSpin and Ducktales! I also used to watch the Japanese anime version of Jungle Book, and Tom & Jerry (I still love to watch Tom & Jerry on Youtube!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

I LOVED that show! biggrin Even Dad loves Chip and Dale! I drew a sketch of them once and he still keeps that with him smile ... and I had a crush on Gadget cheesy

Also TaleSpin and Ducktales! I also used to watch the Japanese anime version of Jungle Book, and Tom & Jerry (I still love to watch Tom & Jerry on Youtube!)

Tom & Jerry, "original" Tom & Jerry is timeless and brilliant, true classics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of the best thing about the original Fred Quimby Tom & Jerry was the attention to physics. Even though the cat and the mouse did physic-defying things, they always animated unbelievable physics in a believable way. It was brilliant! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    One of the best thing about the original Fred Quimby Tom & Jerry was the attention to physics. Even though the cat and the mouse did physic-defying things, they always animated unbelievable physics in a believable way. It was brilliant! biggrin

You probably won't remember this Steven but back in the days when the BBC weren't plugging crap like 'Strictly Dancing Save My Sorry Ass Career' in-between programs, 5 minute slots were taken up with a Tom & Jerry cartoon, right up till they were banned for being too violent rolleyes , in fact, I don't think the beeb has ever shown them since!?

Same goes for ITV which used to fill program gaps with classic WB like Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HERE is what I grew up watching (watch only until 3:09). This is easily my favorite TV show opening of all time! If I were doing the live action film version I would start my film out with something similar.

YO JOE!

When THIS was first aired I nearly lost it!

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!

And of course who could forget THIS! One of the most catchy TV tunes I've ever heard! And that French Horn call at 1:09 is simple but so AWESOME!

THUNDER, THUNDER, THUNDERCATS... HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Man they made some imaginative cartoons back then.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    HERE is what I grew up watching (watch only until 3:09). This is easily my favorite TV show opening of all time! If I were doing the live action film version I would start my film out with something similar.

YO JOE!

Before you put the "Yo Joe", I would have put money on it you were talking about this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

YO JOE!

Before you put the "Yo Joe", I would have put money on it you were talking about this one.

Ah, finally something that triggers MY nostalgia as well. I've hardly heard of the other stuff here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

YO JOE!

Ah, finally something that triggers MY nostalgia as well. I've hardly heard of the other stuff here.

I guess a lot of this stuff is "obscure" if you're not British, American or Japanese?

Don't let that stop you showing us anything we may never have heard of Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    American television consisted of Superman, Lone Ranger, Jungle Jim, Little Rascals and many others. I honestly don't enjoy them at all today.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I'm sure we'll find some common ground, won't we, Thor? One way or another.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Pippi could junk Transformers no sweat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    American television consisted of Superman, Lone Ranger, Jungle Jim, Little Rascals and many others. I honestly don't enjoy them at all today.

And THIS too I'd bet Tom!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Erik,

What did you think of the Elmer Bernstein theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Ah yeah, definitely those two. Especially Emil, with whom I identified as a kid. Mostly because I looked a little bit like him; I even had a similar hat for a while. But all Astrid Lindgren adaptations were wonderful. In fact, one of my first TV memories is the scary Katla monster from MIO MIN MIO (aka MIO IN THE LAND OF FARAWAY in English). And BRÖDRENE LEJONHJÄRTA (THE LIONHEART BROTHERS) etc. etc.

Also - since we were one of the first in my class to get cable in the mid 80's - I was exposed to many things on Sky Channel and Super Channel that I'm sure many of you have heard of as well. You know, except for TRANSFORMERS, things like MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, M.A.S.K., INSPECTOR GADGET, FUN FACTORY, THE DJ CAT SHOW (wasn't this taped in the Netherlands?), ALF etc. Sky and Super also showed older series like the Irwin Allen shows (TIME TUNNEL, LAND OF THE GIANTS) or the PLANET OF THE APES TV series, so I have a connection to those as well. I credit much of my English knowledge to these shows.

Other than that, it's mostly Norwegian and/or Scandinavian things - alternatively international series that were shown on Norwegian "Barne-TV" ("Children's TV") - a regular program every day at 18:00 back when we really only had ONE TV channel in Norway, the NRK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Man! The DJ Kat show!
    The times when Linda de Mol -DJ's side kick and sister of Dutch media tycoon John de Mol, famous for developing high-brow cultural TV show formats- was still seriously cute (if you think away those horrid eighties outfits... slant !
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I had a kiddie crush on her too. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Man! The DJ Kat show!
    The times when Linda de Mol -DJ's side kick and sister of Dutch media tycoon John de Mol, famous for developing high-brow cultural TV show formats- was still seriously cute (if you think away those horrid eighties outfits... slant !

YUCK! She looks like Ulrika Johnsson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk ULRIKA-KA-KA-KA punk
    Waz wrong wiv 'er? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    punk ULRIKA-KA-KA-KA punk
    Waz wrong wiv 'er? confused

Physically shes fine ( or at least she was ) but I don't like her personality and not liking that colours your whole view of someone.