• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    John Ottman now has an official Facebook profile - be sure to become a fan! smile
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6170156826
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wonder though, what do all these composers do in or with this tidal wave of communities?
    Hyves, Facebook, Profiles, dotNet this, Community that.
    Is it merely exposure?
    Surely they don't have time to properly (so to speak) interact with their "Friends"?

I just don't get it?
    confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, it's for promotion purposes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. So exposure it is.
    Makes sense.

It just makes me feel old because it means so little to me that way.
    I use the web for interaction far more than consumerism.

...Hey!
    That's very web 2.0 of me!
    I'm HIP!
    bounce

(...except I don't think the hip nowadays use the phrase hip... slant )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Not really Ottman related but anyone who's been looking forward to the Superman Returns sequel may be a little disappointed to hear that Bryan Singer's "Superman: The Man of Steel" will very likely be ditched since the WB dudes are aiming for a remake.

"[Warner Bros] have been so inspired by the success of "The Dark Knight" that they incline to show [Superman's] darker side."

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017833.html
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48159
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    If they get someone like John Powell (or even Ottman) to score, I won't bother much about what movie it is biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In which case will you bother much?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    In which case will you bother much?

If someone like Tyler Bates scores it tongue

EDIT: sorry, it looks like half of my previous statement was not posted for some reason!! slant it changed the whole meaning of the sentence! Edited it now smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Superman movies are good, but they're all too similar. I'll quite happily stick to the original and be done with them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    Superman movies are good, but they're all too similar. I'll quite happily stick to the original and be done with them.

But I wanna hear Powell score one! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    A Powell Superman score would be like, a dream come true. Second only to a Powell STAR WARS score!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Powell already wrote a Superman score... didn't anyone hear his main title from X-Men 3? wink

BTW, if they are going for a more serious Superman script say sayonara to Williams' classic theme and prepare for more 21st century drone!

Oh Ooh! Erik's being negative again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "I know, lets get Hans Zimmer to score it. He did a great job with the new Batman."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Powell already wrote a Superman score... didn't anyone hear his main title from X-Men 3? wink

BTW, if they are going for a more serious Superman script say sayonara to Williams' classic theme and prepare for more 21st century drone!

Oh Ooh! Erik's being negative again.

-Erik-

No, Erik has already seen the future.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    A Powell Superman score would be like, a dream come true. Second only to a Powell STAR WARS score!

Just because composer A is good and project B is also good, doesn't necessarily mean that AB will turn out like you hope!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Well said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

Just because composer A is good and project B is also good, doesn't necessarily mean that AB will turn out like you hope!

True!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Shouldn't all this be moved to the Powell thread? wink
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    dgoldwas wrote

Nah, a bit of chaos never hurt anyone.

Isn't John Williams great!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

Nah, a bit of chaos never hurt anyone.

Isn't John Williams great!

Damn, I shoulda knowed this wasn't the John Barry thread.......it's never active with news slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you all on catnip again?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    What they don't understand is that The Dark Knight wasn't good because it was "dark". It was good because it was...well...good.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    No.

That's me that is! cheesy wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I'm disappointed about the news. I mean, even though SR did underperform domestically ($200 million compared to a supposed $215 million budget), it did take in $300 million worldwide. That's a hefty amount of change, even though it pales in comparison to the likes of TDK or any of the HP films' worldwide gross.

And am I the only one who appreciated Ottman's score? I thought he did a fine job... granted he did rely on Williams' themes a bit too often, but it was far better than the musical scores for Supermans two through four.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Matt C wrote
    And am I the only one who appreciated Ottman's score? I thought he did a fine job... granted he did rely on Williams' themes a bit too often, but it was far better than the musical scores for Supermans two through four.

Not the only one. And I don't think you and I are the only two either! beer
    One thing I like about Ottman is that when hired for a project whose previous installment was scored by someone else, he tries and stays loyal to the original material almost like those old materials are his. I mean, I'm not a John Williams savvy, but I sure felt like he had a hand in Superman Returns when I was listening to the score, the same happened for Kamen in Ottman's X2 too.

Hey can we have a thumbs up smiley?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sylvos wrote
    Matt C wrote

Not the only one. And I don't think you and I are the only two either! beer
    One thing I like about Ottman is that when hired for a project whose previous installment was scored by someone else, he tries and stays loyal to the original material almost like those old materials are his. I mean, I'm not a John Williams savvy, but I sure felt like he had a hand in Superman Returns when I was listening to the score, the same happened for Kamen in Ottman's X2 too.

I loved it too! One of my favourite scores of 2006.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008 edited
    Sylvos wrote

How 'bout THIS - thumbs
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Sylvos wrote

How 'bout THIS - thumbs

At ScoreReviews that was the 'giving the finger' icon which I never really lked, a bit too agressive. It's far better as a 'thumbs up' though I wish it wasn't still an angry red and the moving head makes it un-cool.