• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    I haven't been allowed much input into my forthcoming wedding (apart from financial, of course) but have stood firm to be given free reign over all musical decisions. One is to find a piece of music to play while we actually get married. I haven't finally decided on whether it'll be film music or not (a nice piece of Rachmaninov might go down a treat), but if it is, then it'll probably be one of my romantic favourites - Barry, Delerue or Morricone. Ideally something that isn't overly familiar to people; but something completely ravishingly, over-the-top romantic. (Which rules out the early fruntrunner, the theme from Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.)

The following are currently on the list to consider:

Barry - Somewhere in Time
    Barry - Moviola
    Barry - Until September
    Delerue - Rich in Love
    Delerue - Steel Magnolias
    Morricone - The Red Tent
    Morricone - Cinema Paradiso

Ideally, something 3-4 minutes long (though I could edit down a longer piece, I would worry about my ability to do it well enough).

I stumbled across Moviola quite by accident while listening to other themes on that disc - I'd forgotten what a magnificent piece it is.

(a) Anything obvious by those composers (or, for those who know me well enough, my other favourites) I may have forgotten about?
    (b) What would YOU have?
  1. Barry's Somewhere In Time was definitely the first thing that came to mind - and I think that I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything better.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How about the title track from Barry's The Beyondness of Things?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Reign Of Fire

spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Reign Of Fire

spin

biggrin

Expect more like this rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Reign Of Fire

spin

biggrin

Expect more like this rolleyes wink

Haha.

Seriously then... I'm not sure you can go wrong with Barry or Delerue to be honest. Those suggestions would be great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The problem is that my sense of the Romantic leans too heavily towards the sweepingly dramatic that renders people into sobbing wrecks of emotional destruction... probably not quite the sense you would be going for at this occasion.

Most generically (slant) though, I'd opt for Delerue ANY time.

And James, cheers for trusting us enough to ask our input. smile
    What a nice thing to do.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Herrmann's "Scene d'Amour"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I think Christopher Young's The Shipping News could be very 'wedding-esque' with a slight Celtic feel.
  4. Probably Gone With The Wind wouldn't be too bad either. smile
  5. Ok guess, Gone With The Wind would be overly familiar - so never mind about that one. Sorry. smile
  6. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I think Christopher Young's The Shipping News could be very 'wedding-esque' with a slight Celtic feel.

Keeping the slightly Celtic theme: something romantic from James Horner's Braveheart? "Wallace Courts Murron" or "The Secret Wedding"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    "You're The One" from Circle of Friends by Michael Kamen. The version on the Michael Kamen's Opus CD.

"For Always" from A.I. by John Williams

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or indeed 'The Reunion' from A.I.! Great piece of music, and not too gushing.

I would have something by Horner though, perhaps 'The Wedding' from Bicentennial Man. Seriously gushing music, but it's so good and SO ROMANTIC. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's much too "gushing", but "Across the Stars" from ATTACK OF THE CLONES is one of my alltime favourite love themes in recent years.

By the way, I didn't know that you were getting married. Congratulations!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    It's much too "gushing", but "Across the Stars" from ATTACK OF THE CLONES is one of my alltime favourite love themes in recent years.

Oh!
    Seconded!!!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. We don't want "overly familiar" but we're considering Somewhere in Time? puh-lease!

How about Delerue's Agnes of God, or the last track from Memories of Me? Any of the first three tracks from Tours du Monde, Tours du Ciel. The first is longer than 3-4 min., but it's so gorgeous!

My favorite over-the-top romantic cues:

Doyle: "Please Forgive Me" (Wah Wah)
    Hess: "Ladies in Lavender"
    Goldsmith: Powder theme, "The Trees" (Medicine Man)
    McKenzie: "You're Just A Man Whom God Loves" (Last Sin Eater), "Katie Skates for Her Family" (Blizzard, and I'm sure a number of other tracks from this one are equally great).
    Morricone: The Mission (as performed by Yo Yo Ma)
    T. Newman: "That Next Place" (Meet Joe Black), "The Great Work Begins" (Angels in America)
    Portman: Cider House Rules theme, Only You theme
    Williams: "Back to America" (Angela's Ashes)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009
    Thank you everyone!

I'm rather taken by Erik's suggestion of Circle of Friends, I think...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Thank you everyone!

I'm rather taken by Erik's suggestion of Circle of Friends, I think...

Surely as a Horner fan 'The Wedding' is the way to go! cheesy (Which 'The Wedding' you choose from which Horner score is of course entirely up to you. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT

bunny
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bullets aren't cheap you know. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    biggrin

Or how about "Marry Me" suite from Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 wink

But certainly "I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time" is not appropriate
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Though ironically has an appropriate title for such an event.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

From the same album I'd also go for Gifts of Life which IMO is sublimely gorgeous but I guess you've already thought through these kinds of selections!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009 edited
    How about something from Howard Shore's Eastern Promises and Trevor Jones' Loch Ness? I love those violins!

Also...

"Central Park" from King Kong (JNH)
    "Harry In Winter" from HP & The Goblet Of Fire (Patrick Doyle)
    "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" from The Lion King (the instrumental version maybe?)
    "Aladar And Neera" from Dinosaur (JNH)
    "The Fellowship Reunited" from LoTR: Return of the King complete (Howard Shore)

And "Enchanted Suite" from Enchanted (Alan Menken) for a finale! punk

These immediately came to mind. wink
  8. I would like to suggest that after the first dance, you put on 'Wild Horses' from WILD ROVERS (Goldsmith). A hoedown in green England would be a fine sight.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Love theme from Ghost by Maurice Jarre
    "Goodbye" from A Little Princess by Patrick Doyle (possibly a choral version of the song)
    The Boy Who Could Fly theme by Bruce Broughton
    "I love thee" from Friendly Persuasion by Dimitri Tiomkin
    Love theme from Krull by James Horner
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

From the same album I'd also go for Gifts of Life which IMO is sublimely gorgeous but I guess you've already thought through these kinds of selections!?

Listened to it last night. Some lovely pieces there. I always liked "Give Me a Smile".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I would like to suggest that after the first dance, you put on 'Wild Horses' from WILD ROVERS (Goldsmith). A hoedown in green England would be a fine sight.

Indeed it would!

For the first dance, I have (believe it or not!) commissioned someone to write an arrangement of Randy Newman's song "Feels Like Home" for a band. And Kerry's dad is a singer, so that's sorted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If you want more lowkey love music, check out Chris Gunning's FIRELIGHT. Lovely stuff.
    I am extremely serious.