• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. SILVA SCREEN RECORDS
    PRESENTS

THE MUSIC OF BATMAN

THE FLAWED SUPERHERO WITH A DARK EDGE THAT INSPIRED QUIRKY, SWEEPING ORCHESTRAL SCORES WITH GOTHIC UNDERTONES

Masterfully performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, this unique compilation features the music from the complete Batman silver screen franchise.

Composer Danny Elfman’s off-centre gothic inspiration captures the spirit of a Batman Movie soundtrack. With its four-note minor key ascent and two-note major key descent perfectly depicting the duality of the Bruce Wayne character, Elfman's title theme had a great impact on subsequent Batman scores and Superhero blockbusters in general.

Also includes music from Neal Hefti and Nelson Riddle’s sixties loungey, brassy, bass-driven beats for Batman TV series, Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard’s minimalist angst ridden score, as well as various Batman themes from Shirley Walker (Escape from L.A.), Christopher Drake (Wonder Woman) and Elliot Goldenthal (Drugstore Cowboy, Interview With The Vampire, Heat, Frida).

Tracklisting:

The Films:

1. Batman - Theme (Danny Elfman)
    2. Batman - Flowers & Love Theme (Danny Elfman)
    3. Batman - The Joker’s Poem & Clown Attack (Danny Elfman)
    4. Batman - Up the Cathedral (Danny Elfman)
    5. Batman - Waltz to the Death (Danny Elfman)
    6. Batman - The Final Confrontation & Finale (Danny Elfman)
    7. Batman Returns - End Titles (Danny Elfman)
    8. Batman Forever - Batterdamerung & Mouth to Mouth Nocturne (Elliot Goldenthal)
    9. Batman & Robin - Main Titles & Fanfare (Elliot Goldenthal)
    10. Batman Begins - Eptesicus (James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer)
    11. The Dark Knight - Aggressive Expansion (Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard)

Animated Batman:
    12. Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm - The Birth of Batman /
    Main Title / The Promise (Shirley Walker)
    13. Batman: Gotham Knight - End Credits (Christopher Drake)

Retro Batman:
    14. Batman: The Movie - Main Titles (Nelson Riddle)
    15. Batman - TV Theme (Neal Hefti)

CD: SILCD1276
    REL. DATE: 24th March

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009
    Nice collection!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, seems a little more comprehensive than their last BATMAN album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not a complaint here, but I would have put a lot more Goldenthal on it. lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Not a complaint here, but I would have put a lot more Goldenthal on it. lick

A complaint here, I would have put lots more Nelson Riddle on it. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/522/

The review to my link and you'll be grateful that they didn't include more Riddle which was a weak part of the compilation.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/522/

The review to my link and you'll be grateful that they didn't include more Riddle which was a weak part of the compilation.
    Thomas

Actually I agree Tom, I don't think the Prague is cut for Riddle's swing jazz.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Riddle took something really special to be able to play properly. I once had a long talk with Paul Tanner, trombonist for Miller and Riddle, and he said it took time to get the proper feel. Of course if your not familiar with him then the sound of the material is fine.
    Thomas
  2. Batman: Gotham Knight - End Credits (Christopher Drake)

This is a really good pick, one of the highlights of the album, would love to hear a full orchestral (and normally) choral performance of it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009
    Perhaps one day Thomas someone will arrange and orchestrate it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Batman: Gotham Knight - End Credits (Christopher Drake)

This is a really good pick, one of the highlights of the album, would love to hear a full orchestral (and normally) choral performance of it

While the version on the OST is mostly if not all synth is still sound absolutely incredible. One of the highlights of 2008. You can hear that particular cue on my latest This Just In program NOW! The entire film was wonderfully scored and is the best Batman music I've heard since Batman and Robin.

-Erik-

PS - Kevin Manthei and Robert J. Kral should also be credited for the end title piece.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Perhaps one day Thomas someone will arrange and orchestrate it smile

What are you talking about... the version on the album you just reviewed is properly orchestrated and performed by full orchestra... yes/no?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Batman: Gotham Knight - End Credits (Christopher Drake)

While the version on the OST is mostly if not all synth is still sound absolutely incredible. One of the highlights of 2008. You can hear that particular cue on my latest This Just In program NOW! The entire film was wonderfully scored and is the best Batman music I've heard since Batman and Robin.

-Erik-

PS - Kevin Manthei and Robert J. Kral should also be credited for the end title piece.

yep, really good piece
    I'm very interested in this compilation smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think Thomas was talking about hearing it in person, Erik
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, seems a little more comprehensive than their last BATMAN album.

This is their only BATMAN album.
  4. sdtom wrote
    I think Thomas was talking about hearing it in person, Erik

no not really, even though that would be awesome wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    Having listened to the compilation suite of Batman material on Fantastic Journey/Telarc we know there is a orchestration available.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    How different are the Prague playings of Elfman's Batman themes (and the Zimmer/Howard stuff) from the original recordings? Aside from the lack of synths and electronics.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    Keep in mind #1 Matt that my ear is quite classical in nature so I found it to be more accessible to listen to than much of the original material.
    Thomas
  5. I wasn't such a fan of the Batman recording on another Silva Screen compilation, I hope it isn't the same recording but I guess it will be

It lacks a lot of power (strange considering they sometimes overscore it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    The soundtrack was so loud in the theater for the Batman Begins film I had to cover my ears!!!
    Thomas
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I wasn't such a fan of the Batman recording on another Silva Screen compilation, I hope it isn't the same recording but I guess it will be

It lacks a lot of power (strange considering they sometimes overscore it)

It's sometimes very difficult to tell. But Silva seems to be very keen on taking their already-recorded cues and just mixing them around to make compilation CD after compilation CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    The soundtrack was so loud in the theater for the Batman Begins film I had to cover my ears!!!
    Thomas

LOVED it! Same goes for THE DARK KNIGHT smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And keep in mind Thomas that Silva compilations are really not marketed toward this particular market but more to the general public. It is true that they of course want to please as many people as possible but they're looking at a broader spectrum of the market. I feel that for what they are it is good material.
    Thomas
  7. sdtom wrote
    And keep in mind Thomas that Silva compilations are really not marketed toward this particular market but more to the general public. It is true that they of course want to please as many people as possible but they're looking at a broader spectrum of the market. I feel that for what they are it is good material.
    Thomas

oh I know, I generally love their compilations and I feel they often even outdo the original scores. But in the case of Batman by Danny Elfman, I feel they were lacking some spunk in their recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maybe too much "spunk" would have turned off the general public. Why not e-mail James Fitzpatrick with your opinion. He is accessible.
  8. hmn, could do that smile
  9. sdtom wrote
    Maybe too much "spunk" would have turned off the general public.

I've generally found that this is a good general rule-of-thumb!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn