• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've accidentally come across two pretty obvious lifts of the 'Introduction' to Stravinsky's FIREBIRD in film scores lately.

- STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (Cliff Eidelman) - I'd always thought Holsts's Mars was the most obvious lift here, but the low string writing of the opening of 'Introduction' appears quite often in this score. As with the Holst reference, it's not a literal rip, but more of a reorchestrated appropriation.

- THE TIME MACHINE (Russell Garcia) - When we're down in the Morlock caves - quite obvious.

Can anyone think of any others?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009
    I made reference in my last review of The Music of Batman how Elfman used a piece of the Holst piece from Mars, a small part of the crescendo from the end of the Strauss piece 2001, and a small portion from Waxman's Bride of Frankenstein.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009 edited
    Who doesn't use lifts from Holst. ARGH! crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Who doesn't use lifts from Holst. ARGH! crazy

-Erik-

Horner lifts 'Saturn' in TROY....makes a nice change from Mars. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I heard some music from "Mars" in Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow also. The beginning of the track The Flying Wings Attack.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I heard some music from "Mars" in Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow also. The beginning of the track The Flying Wings Attack.

Man, ya can't go wrong with Holst cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    LOL, yeah biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

The only part of the score that I LOATHE!!!!! vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Man, ya can't go wrong with Holst cool

The Holst piece is one of the top 10 in the 20th century of all time.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer Jupiter, although Mars is a close second for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I prefer planet Earth though, especially today.
    Kazoo
  2. Steven wrote

Jupiter is the basis of the theme from Braveheart.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bregt wrote
    I prefer planet Earth though, especially today.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

Jupiter is the basis of the theme from Braveheart.

Never noticed that one myself?
  3. Compare the second part (the more majestic one) with Braveheart, though it is more obvious with Bicentennial Man's theme (first heard in The Wedding)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Guys. This is not about Holst. And it's not about ripoffs in general. It's meant to be about whether FIREBIRD might be as commonly-ripped-off as some other great warhorses.

Reboot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yyyuh. So anyway, getting back to Holst....

wink

(I'm not very familiar with Firebird, so I'll come back when I've had a few more listens.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    NOT a fan of Stravinsky. So sorry, Michael, I have no clue. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not a fan of the man either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Hmmm... barbarians.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I absolutely adore Neptune, listening to that my mind just drifts into the outer reaches of the universe ( with no comprehension whatsoever wink ) , probably THE greatest piece of atmospheric music ever IMO and certainly incredibly influential albeit in a far subtler way than the other pieces.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Guys. This is not about Holst. And it's not about ripoffs in general. It's meant to be about whether FIREBIRD might be as commonly-ripped-off as some other great warhorses.

Reboot.

After you mentioned it I hear the Firebird in the Eidelman and Garcia works but I've strained my brain and can think of no others unless I happen upon them.
  6. Maybe Trevor Jones' DARK CITY took a leaf from the book? I'll have to listen to that one again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure that in composition/arranging/orchestrating the Holst work is studied in detail.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...of course, if you had been mentioning THE RITE OF SPRING then we could all wax lyrical for a long time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Rite of Spring does have its moments for the percussion!!!!
  7. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We can all say that the Holst piece certainly put his name to the front of 20th century classical music.
  8. You're a funny man, Tom! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...really?