• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    What is Pluto classified as now?

Canidae?

lol

applause
    Nice one, Miya.

On topic, though: it's actually, believe it or not, a plutoid. uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    It's classified as a "dwarf planet" now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Canidae?

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There are recordings with Pluto included but it wasn't written by Holst.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's definitely not worthy of being included ( as it has been ) alongside the Holst work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Plutoid!? uhm

Astronomerdiggingoutofatightspotoid.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    A top 100 classical piece of all time imho.
    Thomas

Slightly overrated, this whole planet thing is, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What? The music??
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly,exactly!
    Now if we were talking the genius of Stockhausen...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, him and Pierre Boulez.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

How!? How is it overrated?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I love the muthafocka big planets of Jupiter and Saturn. Rings, tons of moons, gas, lots of gas and complete domination.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    Yes, of course, Bregt.

<backs away slowly>

You're quite right.
    Quite right.
    No, no. Don't get up.
    I'll let myself out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote

We agree to disagree on this one for sure. This is truly one of the finer examples of 20th century classical music. Each movement is unique and can stand on its own.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

How!? How is it overrated?

It's overrated when elevated by many people next to the likes of the geniuses of our musical works, like Beethoven's 9th Symphony (for instance) etc. It isn't up there.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Although The Planets has had a strong influence on film music, I don't think its position in classical music is equally dominant. The movements are known as colourful impressionistic tone poems, but don't share the "masterpiece" status of works like Les Preludes by Liszt or Àpres midi d'un faune by Debussy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited
    markrayen wrote
    Although The Planets has had a strong influence on film music, I don't think its position in classical music is equally dominant. The movements are known as colourful impressionistic tone poems, but don't share the "masterpiece" status of works like Les Preludes by Liszt or Àpres midi d'un faune by Debussy.

smile

Exactly my point; it's natural that stuff like this or Orff's Carmina Burana would hold a high (or the highest) place in the hearts of film music fans.

But if we were to have a whole-scope and realism in this cases, they should be wetting their pants over the composers of the romantic period instead, the Russian Five, Wagner, tchaikovsky, Jean Sibelius etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sibelius ISN'T one of the Russian "5".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Did i say he was? There are commas in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wouldn't automatically have put Wagner into any Russian top 5 either, indeed. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    markrayen wrote

Holst himself was bemused by the massive popularity the work became, he never put any such importance on it himself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    markrayen wrote

smile

Exactly my point; it's natural that stuff like this or Orff's Carmina Burana would hold a high (or the highest) place in the hearts of film music fans.

But if we were to have a whole-scope and realism in this cases, they should be wetting their pants over the composers of the romantic period instead, the Russian Five, Wagner, tchaikovsky, Jean Sibelius etc.

Who are 'they?' Who are these people who should be wetting thier pants?

For such a singular work the Planets influence on film music is massive, I would put Holst influence second only to the like of Wagner, Prokofiev, Copland and Shostakovitch.

As for Orff, O' Fortuna' may very well be the single most influential piece on film music!? Personally, apart from that piece I don't really care much for the work as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Why isn't Lenin in this Russian Top 5?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He got incorporated by Shostakovitch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If anyone bothered to read exactly what I said it reads as follows: Notice the 20th. You can't compare Holst to Beethoven in any scenario you want to come up with. This is a lot more like Rimsky-Korsakov or Glazunov if they had decided to take on this project.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did say 20th century. You can't compare Holst to Beethoven in any situation. You could compare this work to something like Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade," however.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

And BRUCKNER!!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And BRUCKNER!!

Yes. And MAHLER even more so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    markrayen wrote

smile

Who are 'they?' Who are these people who should be wetting thier pants?

For such a singular work the Planets influence on film music is massive, I would put Holst influence second only to the like of Wagner, Prokofiev, Copland and Shostakovitch.

As for Orff, O' Fortuna' may very well be the single most influential piece on film music!? Personally, apart from that piece I don't really care much for the work as a whole.

Holst and Orff, both of them were influenced by the works of the greats before them; i'd not put them in the same shelf, that's my point. Don't get touchy.

As for 'they', the amount of attention PLANETS gets in film music forums whilst the rest of the baroque / classical and esp. romantic - 20th century music remains ignored and untouched (with few exceptions, such as our forum here with some very informed and educated listeners) is what i am criticizing here.