• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Wagner is really the father of film music. It is his style that Steiner and Korngold studied in Austria and adapted to very early Hollywood film music.

Holst will only be remembered for Planets. I heartily recommend it to people who are starting out in the world of classical music.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    I totally disagree. ( and please note D that I wasn't being 'touchy' )

'Holst and Orff' were influenced by the greats before them'....as were everyone else! Not too obvious eh!?

You are right to say that 'Baroque, classical, 20th century' music has informed listeners at this board but very unfair to say it doesn't at other boards ( and I must assume you mean 'other' film music boards!? ) because that is 100% un-true.

p.s. Going to the busiest film score board ( FSM ) you'll find that Ralph Vaughan Williams gets far more attention than any other classical composer ( yep! even Prokofiev ) and, believe it cheesy , with barely any help from me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Wagner is really the father of film music. It is his style that Steiner and Korngold studied in Austria and adapted to very early Hollywood film music.

Holst will only be remembered for Planets. I heartily recommend it to people who are starting out in the world of classical music.

Thomas

And what a work to be remembered by eh Tom!? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I totally disagree. ( and please note D that I wasn't being 'touchy' )

'Holst and Orff' were influenced by the greats before them'....as were everyone else! Not too obvious eh!?

You are right to say that 'Baroque, classical, 20th century' music has informed listeners at this board but very unfair to say it doesn't at other boards ( and I must assume you mean 'other' film music boards!? ) because that is 100% un-true.

p.s. Going to the busiest film score board ( FSM ) you'll find that Ralph Vaughan Williams gets far more attention than any other classical composer ( yep! even Prokofiev ) and, believe it cheesy , with barely any help from me.

He's one of the names that get talked about indeed, Ralph Vaughan Williams , although not my style; how many know the works of Jean Sibelius, Wagner, Tšaikovski, Modest Mussorgsky, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and Alexander Borodin, Liszt, etc.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    There are a lot of classical music fans on the boards, especially FSM and all of those composers have been talked about from time to time. Wagner and Sibelius in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    fs-what?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Some fringe geeks.
    Pay them no mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    I'll agree that RVW is popular because of his contribution to film and classical music. He is somewhat like Korngold in that they contributed to both genres.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    An interesting point though, in the comparison of RVW and Korngold: Both composers have a distinct sound which can be heard both in their film and "serious" works, but while RVW sounds entirely like himself, the Korngold sound utterly screams HOLLYWOOD at us somehow. I find this extremely interesting since this genuine "Hollywood sound" of his is present right at the outset of his career, i.e. the Schauspiel Overture, written in his teens - before the introduction of sound films! Korngold's impact on the whole film music culture really strikes one as incredibly significant.
    - What matters is the music -
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    Spot on! I noticed that the outer movements of his third piano sonata, completed a couple of years before he came to Hollywood, are as if they were taken right out of Captain Blood! Korngold's music is actually going to be the topic of my master thesis I have to get started on soon...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    markrayen wrote
    Spot on! I noticed that the outer movements of his third piano sonata, completed a couple of years before he came to Hollywood, are as if they were taken right out of Captain Blood! Korngold's music is actually going to be the topic of my master thesis I have to get started on soon...

Good luck!

Back when I was doing research on my own master thesis (or 'hovedoppgave', as it was called then) from 2001-2004 at the media institute, I also came in contact with several students at the music institute, and a few of them wrote about film music too, although from a more musicological angle. Bjørn Morten Christophersen, for example, who have since gone on to be a fine Norwegian (film) composer himself, wrote his dissertation on Korngold:

http://www.duo.uio.no/sok/work.html?WORKID=4142

Worth checking out if you're not already aware of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think that until quite recently Korngold was primarily known for his huge contribution to Warner Brothers/Hollywood with classical music being secondary. Now the situation has reversed itself and his work in the classical genre is being recognized and played.

RVW has always been known for his classical material and his film work has been secondary. Even though in my mind "Scott of the Antarctic" is one of the top ten film scores of all time I'm in the vast minority. Likely, this has a lot to do with the unpopularity of the film itself.

Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And what a shame that is Tom, Scott of The Antarctic is a fantastically scored film and I'd agree that it's one of the all time best film scores, the music truly is the essense of that continent.

When listening to later Herrmann works it seems to me he was quite influenced by this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is a superb score!!!! The film never quite caught on. I can't count the number of times I've recommended that score or symphony.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film shows up on UK TV channels quite regularly, I guess this is because he's a British hero and one of the great epic...and tragic, failures!?

His son, Sir Peter Scott is one of my all time heroes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is quite rarely if ever shown here in the states
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And I can understand that Tom, what appeal does it have to Americans? It's a very British story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It most certainly is
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thor wrote
    markrayen wrote

Good luck!

Back when I was doing research on my own master thesis (or 'hovedoppgave', as it was called then) from 2001-2004 at the media institute, I also came in contact with several students at the music institute, and a few of them wrote about film music too, although from a more musicological angle. Bjørn Morten Christophersen, for example, who have since gone on to be a fine Norwegian (film) composer himself, wrote his dissertation on Korngold:

http://www.duo.uio.no/sok/work.html?WORKID=4142

Worth checking out if you're not already aware of it.

Thanks for the heads up, I really need to look in to this. His topic seems to be close to mine as well, so this will certainly help. I'm moving to the U.S. in a few weeks to study so I'm thinking about perhaps visiting the library of congress to have a look at some of Korngold's handwritten orchestrations that are kept there. smile
  1. Timmer wrote
    And I can understand that Tom, what appeal does it have to Americans? It's a very British story.

Can you tell me the man's first name, so I read about the story on wikipedia? smile Is it the chase to go to the North Pole which ended with a very tragic outcome for the British expedition?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes.

And his full name is Robert Falcon Scott.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd say the Scott-Amundsen affair is really a cold case.

Yes, yes, yes...coat...exit...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Again I say to all to investigate listening to RVW's Symphony No. 7. I say #7 because most libraries that have any sort of CD collection are going to have this work available. They might not have the actual soundtrack. They are similar.

Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'd say the Scott-Amundsen affair is really a cold case.

Yes, yes, yes...coat...exit...

Amundsen victorious while Scott and Co had thier assets frozen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

Can you tell me the man's first name, so I read about the story on wikipedia? smile Is it the chase to go to the North Pole which ended with a very tragic outcome for the British expedition?

South pole actually.