• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    Let's all have sex and get it over with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I hope you don't mean "with one another".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Absolutely. What else would I mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then you mean with "selected" one-anothers, eh?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm game

That said, we should better get back to calm scores soon! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alexendre Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I'm game

KISS, the morning-after years.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Maurice Jarre/Dr. Zhivago
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm game

KISS, the morning-after years.

Very good applause biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    This thread is getting too goddamn bombastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh, and what about Mychael Danna!

Scores like Breach (dark and depressing), Little Miss Sunshine (happy!), Regeneration (beautiful!), Sweet Hereafter (chilly and new-agy), Ararat (dark and beautiful, sometimes grand as well), ...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ....and EXOTICA - a gorgeous film and hypnotizing score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Thor wrote

I think you've got a good idea now
    Thomas
  1. Thor wrote

I would really like to see that film again. I got it on DVD about a year ago, but still haven't found the 2 hours to dive into it again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've never seen or heard the score, yikes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

I would really like to see that film again. I got it on DVD about a year ago, but still haven't found the 2 hours to dive into it again.

I know what you mean. I have it on DVD too and have seen it maybe twice in the many years I've had it. I really have to be in the mood.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I wasn't impressed by the score, I really should give it another chance?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

You should. But it's one of those scores that work better in the film than outside, perhaps.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

You should. But it's one of those scores that work better in the film than outside, perhaps.

I'll give it a play now.

Oh and Thor, I saw Ladyhawke for the first time yesterday, I made a brief comment in the 'Recent Viewing' thread wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I saw it now. Unfortunately, I don't have the stamina to follow that thread, so thanks for the heads-up. Glad you liked it (sort of). Btw, perhaps you missed this ol' FSM thread of mine on film and score:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I saw it now. Unfortunately, I don't have the stamina to follow that thread, so thanks for the heads-up. Glad you liked it (sort of). Btw, perhaps you missed this ol' FSM thread of mine on film and score:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1

Yeap, r'memeber it. Not something I could have contributed to then wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009 edited
    The House of Flying Daggers

Perfume

Often I'm more into quieter scores too, mostly because I have to play them with other people around or when I'm doing some work, so it can't be too 'loud'.

I also play scores that have a lot of quiet music and then I just skip the action track, for instance in The Last Samurai.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2021
    Bless you, 2009 Thor. My sentiment remains the same today, 12 years later. I veer towards the calm.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Bless you, 2009 Thor. My sentiment remains the same today, 12 years later. I veer towards the calm.

I much prefer the more 'bombastic' music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I used to be purely after the bombast as well but these days I like to think I have a healthy appreciation for both. I prefer louder, more fun stuff when I'm out and about or doing something with my hands, and the calmer stuff for if I'm working and need to focus. I like scores that are able to offer both - Horner's Avatar, say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021
    Yes, it's not like I don't listen to a bit of bombast now and then (and it doesn't only have to be orchestral film music, it can also be hardhitting rock like Rammstein or EDM like Juno Reactor), but I find that calm music - with interesting, soothing textures - is where I find the most pleasure these days. Thankfully, since the days of 2009, my collection of this type of music has grown considerably, so the teenage-acquired bombastic stuff is no longer in the majority. I think.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Yes, it's not like I don't listen to a bit of bombast now and then (and it doesn't only have to be orchestral film music, it can also be hardhitting rock like Rammstein or EDM like Juno Reactor), but I find that calm music - with interesting, soothing textures - is where I find the most pleasure these days. Thankfully, since the days of 2009, my collection of this type of music has grown considerably, so the teenage-acquired bombastic stuff is no longer in the majority. I think.

The variety is an important consideration too. When you want one genre you know where to go. You want calm? Then there's a whole list of stuff at your fingertips too. That's the beauty of film music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn