• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited
    My film music interest got really serious in the early 90's, and I was still just a young teenager at the time. So the most exciting thing was to get big and epic scores with lots of bombast and adventure; childhood glee and impatience still shining through. This lasted for many years, well into my 20's, and the collection grew larger and larger. However, some time in my LATE 20's, I began to veer more and more towards calmer scores and soundtracks that STAY calm throughout. However, by then I had already wound down my soundtrack purchasing considerably and I was stuck with this teenage-acquired, bombastic collection of stuff that I hardly had the stamina and mood to listen to anymore.

So there I am today, constantly listening and relistening to the few soundtracks I DO own that stay in a calm, relaxed mood throughout (whether they are melodic or textural or powerful in a subdued way) - Delerue stuff, DA VINCI CODE, PASSION OF THE CHRIST, FORREST GUMP, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY, LOS BORGIA (practically all of Illaramendi's stuff), SOMMERSBY, S.O.P., TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, MALENA, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME (Morricone's rejected), BEYOND RANGOON, THIN RED LINE, SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS, UNDER FIRE, THE LAST RUN, LOVER'S PRAYER, the calm Williams'es (ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, A.I., STANLEY & IRIS, ANGELA'S ASHES, STEPMOM etc.), THE DIG, THE SECRET GARDEN and so forth. You get the idea.

So....what I'm looking for are recommendations of CALM soundtracks that stay calm throughout and that have been arranged as "concept albums". Not cheesy "New Age" music or John Barry (whose particular approach to "calmness" I cannot stomach), but anything else!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    How about scores by Desplat and Marianelli? Painted Veil, Atonement immediately come to mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, with all the buzz around those two composers, it's about time I check them out more thoroughly (beyond the films in which their music appears), so that I can see how they hold up as "concept albums".

Oh, and I forgot: if people can add a sentence or two about WHY they recommend the soundtrack in question, that would be swell too (as to avoid the dreaded lists)!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I have also done this shift, much as you have Thor, from bombast to calmbast. I've become a real hanky-guy.

One that comes to mind: Solaris (Cliff Martinez) - a thousand miles from Edward Artemyev's extraordinary music for Tarkovsky's original film, yet it's something I return to a lot. It's an ambient score for the most part, throbbing electronic bass, wet string lines, tingling gamelan. There are hints of Ligeti's Lux Aeterna, but the dominant feeling is a kind of musical pulse. Knowing your taste in music, this is a must-have.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would check out John Barry's ...oh 'ang on!? rolleyes

Check out Ennio Morricone's Marco Polo, a gorgeous and moody listen, very hypnotic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    John Williams' Seven Years In Tibet is great too. Lovely, ethnic, somber love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

I bet you your life savings and every possession you have Ravi that Thor has had this for a very VERY long time biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    John Scott´s Becoming Colette.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I bet you your life savings and every possession you have Ravi that Thor has had this for a very VERY long time biggrin wink

...life savings? You really want my can filled with one rupee coins?! tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

...life savings? You really want my can filled with one rupee coins?! tongue wink

And "EVERY POSSESSION YOU HAVE" devil wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    And "EVERY POSSESSION YOU HAVE" devil wink

Ok sure, I'd love to give you my rusted old bike cheesy
    I'll gladly give you my CD-R collection of scores.. I'll dow**oad them again biggrin And of course you can have my 100 Physics, Chemistry, Biology course text books because they're going in the trash once I'm going to college anyway! tongue
  2. DemonStar wrote
    Painted Veil, Atonement immediately come to mind.

yeap, try some boring scores
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote

C'mon man, those aren't exactly an endangered species! tongue
  3. DemonStar wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote

C'mon man, those aren't exactly an endangered species! tongue

no, they're not but I was sitting through a 25 suite of Atonement (meaning almost the entire soundtrack) and it was difficult staying awake dizzy
  4. And Demonstar, stop posting that much

you're litteraly closing in on me

Stop doing that smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So that I can better give you my opinion name three somewhat common classical works you enjoy, preferably orchestral, that you'd consider calming.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And Demonstar, stop posting that much

Stop doing that smile

Ok.

Oops, sorry! I just posted again! tongue
  5. sdtom wrote
    So that I can better give you my opinion name three somewhat common classical works you enjoy, preferably orchestral, that you'd consider calming.
    Thomas

Trust me, we heard every classical music there is
    calm, powerful, atonal, romantic, baroque, new classical music, old, .... smile
  6. DemonStar wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And Demonstar, stop posting that much

Stop doing that smile

Ok.

Oops, sorry! I just posted again! tongue

I'll quit if you quit smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thomas you don't get it
  7. sdtom wrote
    Thomas you don't get it

I know what you mean, naming 3 classical pieces that are soothing for me
    but honestly nothing comes to mind this instant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Let me know when you do. Some of the older pieces that do come to mind for me are Wuthering Heights (Newman), Rebecca (Waxman), Spellbound (Rozsa), Lost Horizon (Tiomkin).
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor, you want DESPLAT, Cliff Martinez, Adrian Johnston, Mark McKenzie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. I thought of James Horner's Iris which is very soothing. Not sure what you mean by "concept albums" though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I thought of James Horner's Iris which is very soothing. Not sure what you mean by "concept albums" though...

Oh christ don't ask.

(But yes, Iris is one of my favourite relaxing scores. Absolutely wonderful!)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Can I start another thread for those of us still after more bombastic stuff? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    My favourite calm soundtracks are Gattaca (by Michael Nyman) and Stay (by Asche & Spencer).
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rian wrote
    My favourite calm soundtracks are Gattaca (by Michael Nyman) and Stay (by Asche & Spencer).

I can recommend those 2 as well!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Girl With A Peal Earring!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    What about Horner's Beyond Borders? That's got concept too.