• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    Aaron Copeland
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If nothing else Tim I'll teach you how to spell it right!!! Copland, no EEEE
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Vaughan Williams!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Vaughan Williams!

You think "I" wouldn't have gotten that. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Close but wrong. Think guys. At the time of the release in 1940 it was a big deal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William Walton
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Villa-Lobos! (I'm sure nobody's noticing I'm just guessing here...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Villa-Lobos! (I'm sure nobody's noticing I'm just guessing here...)

I'm guessing too. The only thing I knew for sure was that it wasn't Vaughan Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    THE ANSWER IS

Dr. Cyclops by Ernest Toch. Toch did 16 films but has never had one released to LP, CD, or anything.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes! I'd NEVER have got that Tom dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yet it was an interesting film in its day. I'm sure that Martijn will comment later.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    http://rapidshare.com/files/240548470/Track_13.mp3.html

This was a lounge song from a pretty famous 50's Warner Brothers film. Can you name the film?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://rapidshare.com/files/240548470/Track_13.mp3.html

This was a lounge song from a pretty famous 50's Warner Brothers film. Can you name the film?

I know the song Tom and it was also recorded by Billie Holliday and Frank Sinatra but I don't know the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm pretty sure I can get this one... anything to do with strawberries. Tom?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry Tom, I know the song is an old standard covered by a number of artists but I can't think what film this could be from?.....a clue??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think I may just have given you one... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Right on Martijn!!! Give all on the board a little detail about the film etc. By the way is that quality level ok?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    cheesy

As luck would have it I watched 1954's The Caine Mutiny not too long ago so it was pretty fresh in my memory or I might not have guessed. The song is performed by May Wynn (the actress playing her actually used the stage name of her counterpart in the novel!) who in the film plays the love interest of naval cadet Willie Keith, the protagonist -more or less- of the film.

This of course is the story of a disturbed and paranoid US navy captain, played with immense power by Humphrey Bogart, in an uncharacteristically unlikable role (or at least a far cry from his previous and best known anti-hero 'tough guy' roles). His raving during court martial about the crew stealing strawberries from the mess is a classic and disturbing scene.

It's an absolute classic, with Bogart's most off-kilter (and some say best) role!

Interestingly, Max Steiner's original soundtrack to this film is the rarest in the world, with only about ten albums in existence:
    RCA Records planned an LP release with musical excerpts on the first side and the complete dialogue of the climactic court-martial scene on side two. Herman Wouk (the author -Martijn) felt that including this scene was an infringement on his recently opened Broadway play dealing with the court-martial, and he threatened to prohibit Columbia Pictures from making any further adaptations of his work. According to Wouk, "[Columbia head Harry] Cohn looked into the matter, called me back, and said in his tough gravelly voice, 'I've got you beat on the legalities, but I've listened to the record and it's no goddamn good, so I'm yanking it.'

Source
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd never have got that. slant

The Caine Mutiny is a superb film and one I'd like to see again soon.

p.s. Looking up the song I see it's been covered by loads of artists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Interestingly, Max Steiner's original soundtrack to this film is the rarest in the world, with only about ten albums in existence:

It is indeed. However, the theme is available on the RCA/Gerhardt Humphrey Bogart CD, and that's really all you need from this, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

It is indeed. However, the theme is available on the RCA/Gerhardt Humphrey Bogart CD, and that's really all you need from this, IMO.

Not really. I think I do need the worlds rarest soundtrack, in fact, I want ALL TEN COPIES....nine of which will immediately be destroyed. devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Didn't an LP of Caine Mutiny sell for around $2500 on ebay last year or so? Crazy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    All in all an excellent film.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I feel like putting up a classical piece just to test a few of the followers.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://rapidshare.com/files/241156881/Track_04.mp3.html

This is part of a late 19th century composer. I'm guessing there is one on the board who might just know.

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    I think it's

Tchaikovsky - Suite for Orchestra No.1
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    I think so too.

Bluff?
    Me?
    Never!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Tom, a bit obscure for the riff-raff around here but it's Gluknov's 2nd
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is from his #1 Suite, Marche Miniature well done. Now please tell me Tim who the hell is Gluknov?