• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Just got my copy of the new Chandos recording of music of Christopher Gunning. Poirot Variants, a concerto for alto saxophone and orchestra is something that a pops orchestra should consider adding to their selection. This is a first time ever hearing this wonderful piece.
    Thomas smile

A definite two thumbs up on this one
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    its a shame there is little or no interest in what he has done by most
  1. That goes for a lot of good music - and not just for the older stuff. If a recent composer isn't in some sort of top 5 then even they tend not to be talked about.

Now if someone were to wonder if a Gunning film had had a Zimmer, Desplat or even a Tyler Bates score then that would start some talking.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That goes for a lot of good music - and not just for the older stuff. If a recent composer isn't in some sort of top 5 then even they tend not to be talked about.

Now if someone were to wonder if a Gunning film had had a Zimmer, Desplat or even a Tyler Bates score then that would start some talking.

Sad but true.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    its a shame there is little or no interest in what he has done by most

To be fair, Tom, he's just not very high profile with much of his work being in the field of television and only a handful of released works on CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sad but true I fear Alan and Tim. I'm glad that Chandos has taken an interest in his work. There will be further releases of his material.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I will be posting the new Gunning review
  2. sdtom wrote
    Sad but true I fear Alan and Tim. I'm glad that Chandos has taken an interest in his work. There will be further releases of his material.
    Tom smile

Being cynical for a moment, maybe the interest in Gunning's music is because most of the other "mainstream" composers' work has reached saturation in the marketplace?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think Chandos being British takes an interest in British composers as they should. Getting his material performed on the concert stage is another story.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    Added a review of his new release on Chandos to the MT review section.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    Great review Tom, and a CD I'll be picking up very soon.

I would just point out that COLD LAZARUS owes more to Goldsmith's Total Recall than it does to his Star Trek scores. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    thanks tim
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Gunning release is one you should all have in your collection
  3. sdtom wrote

I have some of it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013
    I like THIS!

Gunning is woefully underappreciated IMO.
  4. Review of "Under Suspicion", which is out on Caldera.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube