• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    What style of music be this score? What is it most comparable to?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Very theremin-based, some very MV-esque action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

Bernard Herrmann and The Day The Earth Stood Still with an Elfman vibe.

Here is the brilliant opening to the film with Elfman's delicious music!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFsqyNSH … re=related

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Very theremin-based, some very MV-esque action music.

MV-esque action music? Really?

Btw, this score is comparable to "headache" to me; i know most people are loving it and it's a pretty popular one but i can't stand it at all. shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The White House attack music reminds me of the early MV scores. Or David Arnold too..
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    The White House attack music reminds me of the early MV scores. Or David Arnold too..

Wha? I don't hear Zimmer in ANY of Elfman's music. What track are you talking about?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Wha? I don't hear Zimmer in ANY of Elfman's music. What track are you talking about?

-Erik-

Exactly; this score is more classic Elfman than anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    I really like this one! Must say I didn't see it coming.

You nor everybody else probably! Wow!
    Is this the first expanded Danny Elfman release, by the way? Let's hope more are under way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, this score is comparable to "headache" to me

Same here. Just listened to it once, and that's quite enough (although I did enjoy the fifties' satirical elements...but in that vein I greatly prefer Howard Shore's Ed Wood.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

That brilliant opening is easily the best thing about either the film or the score if you ask me. I enjoy both of them much more as a concept than actually in the way they were executed. So much beautiful attention to detail in everything about the film; but the script is just painfully unfunny. You can laugh out loud at the visual gags, but the dialogue is terrible. And the score fits the film like a glove, again is so beautifully-done - but on album, generally just gives me a headache (apart from that FANTASTIC opening title).

I was very surprised when I heard about this release. Great news for fans of the score of course, but the existing album feels rather over-long to me; can't imagine adding more music to it is the answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    I agree, the film's primarily funny visually. The expressions of the characters alone are crack-up worthy sometimes (like when the atom bomb is made, eh, useless).

The second half of the album is indeed somewhat overwhelming and can be too much when not in the right mood. (There's more than just the opening title though, like the Landing track, or the closing credits.) Yet for me somehow this album benefits from an expansion; it balances it with the addition of some more tonality. (My home-made album with the DVD score included at least got more plays than the album...)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pretty much agree with James, fabulous opening theme and I like one or two other tracks but I can't listen to much of it. Oddly enough my girl Mel loves this score.

I'll be sticking with the release I have,
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Pretty much agree with James, fabulous opening theme and I like one or two other tracks but I can't listen to much of it. Oddly enough my girl Mel loves this score.

I'll be sticking with the release I have,

And my cats; when on catnip. biggrin
  1. Aside from the fantastic main title piece, I think this score is very overrated. I'd rather hear what Shore did (if he recorded any).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. The man has talent but this one is unbearable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm the biggest Elfman nut in the world, but this is one of the most pointless releases I've seen in a long, long time - an example of a CD release frequency out of control. Not only is the existing album WIDELY AVAILABLE, it's also MORE than long enough already. In fact, it's way too bombastic and "sturm-und-drangey" for me to sit through THE WAY IT IS NOW! I always have to mentally prepare for this album, and even then it's a chore. Releasing an expanded version of this is like kicking you when you're down and exhausted from listening.

However, it was a cool surprise, and judging from the response, I'm sure there's a market for it. So good luck, LaLaLand.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. How much time did he have to do the score before Shore was unceromoniously dumped after promised the film? I was told by someone else other composers were involved too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I'm the biggest Elfman nut in the world, but this is one of the most pointless releases I've seen in a long, long time - an example of a CD release frequency out of control. Not only is the existing album WIDELY AVAILABLE, it's also MORE than long enough already. In fact, it's way too bombastic and "sturm-und-drangey" for me to sit through THE WAY IT IS NOW! I always have to mentally prepare for this album, and even then it's a chore. Releasing an expanded version of this is like kicking you when you're down and exhausted from listening.

However, it was a cool surprise, and judging from the response, I'm sure there's a market for it. So good luck, LaLaLand.

I'll Bet money it'll sell out rapidly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'll Bet money it'll sell out rapidly!

I'm sure it will. People are crazy.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. But the best part is, it'll be because of eBay gobblers, but little do they know this isn't going to sell out because of a market for it, so they'll be stuck with buttloads on eBay at high prices, that will rarely ever sell. They'll try marking it down, putting ALL CAPS in their titles, so forth -- whatever to get rid of it.

I shall laugh.
  4. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

That brilliant opening is easily the best thing about either the film or the score if you ask me. I enjoy both of them much more as a concept than actually in the way they were executed. So much beautiful attention to detail in everything about the film; but the script is just painfully unfunny. You can laugh out loud at the visual gags, but the dialogue is terrible. And the score fits the film like a glove, again is so beautifully-done - but on album, generally just gives me a headache (apart from that FANTASTIC opening title).

I was very surprised when I heard about this release. Great news for fans of the score of course, but the existing album feels rather over-long to me; can't imagine adding more music to it is the answer.

I agree with every word. INDEPENDENCE DAY was often remarked upon as managing to be funnier, unintentionally, than MARS ATTACKS. I'm not sure it's funny enough either, but it's certainly funnier.

The main title is enough for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    Thor wrote

Yeah, but perhaps this is an example of the exception to the rule, namely that the expanded album will make for a less exhausting listening experience. However, I don't have sight yet on what they didn't include; apparently they left out some short cues like the newspaper cue or the white house walk cue and kept the album edits - so perhaps they left off the cues anyway that would make the album breathe more.
  5. Interested to read about Mars Attacks! - though I'm sure that I'll be passing on this release.

I find it annoying how La-La Land Records have taken the route of announcing a release and that they'll start taking orders sometime down the line. When I see a title being announced I'd like to be able to order it there-and-then so that I can know it's "on order". It seems to me to be a bit too easy to lose track of things.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't know about the rest of you but having listened to Mars Attacks! this afternoon I think it's a well balanced album. Sure, it gets a bit heavy during the last few cues but there is more than just over the top Elfman bombast in this score. I'm curious to hear what the expanded edition adds to the listening experience.

-Erik-
  6. I have both the commercial release and the expanded version. For me commercial release has a good representation of the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I'm glad they announce so early, and don't slam on leaks. It lets you play your spending in advance. Nothing worse than getting a couple scores that a are limited because you sort of like them, and they might not be around long, deplete your money for that month, then suddenly "Back to the Future" is released. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Justin, I know you're a lover of rejected score trivia.... but in this case, Shore was hired, then let go. He never wrote anything (as far as I know), since Elfman and Burton reconciled and met while Burton was still shooting the film.

So Elfman had plenty of time to do the score. Enough time to record some demos and trailer music up at Skywalker, and then record the full score in LA.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

Not Zimmer, some of the action music reminded me a bit of that from Armageddon.

Maybe it's just my imagination tongue
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009 edited
    Tracklist - TERMINATOR SALVATION

1 Opening (Album Version) 05:59

2 All Is Lost (Album Version) 02:44

3 Broadcast (Album Version) 03:15

4 The Harvester Returns (Album Version) 02:43

5 Fireside (Album Version) 01:30

6 No Plan (Album Version) 01:42

7 Reveal/The Escape (Album Version) 07:42

8 Hydrobot Attack (Album Version) 01:48

9 Farewell (Album Version) 01:39

10 Marcus Enters Skynet (Album Version) 03:21

11 A Solution (Album Version) 01:43

12 Serena (Album Version) 02:26

13 Final Confrontation (Album Version) 04:13

14 Salvation (Album Version) 03:04

15 Alice In Chains Rooster (Album Version) 06:14

50:03 Total

Source: warner music switzerland
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    Good thing every single track has been ID'd as "album version". I was worried for a sec! rolleyes
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it