• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Elfman has taken two projects that belonged to Beltrami (Hellboy 2 and Terminator: Salvation). Thief!

Come on, how did Elfman steal from Beltrami? It was Beltrami that stole from Fiedel

Terminator belongs to Fiedel, no other angry

FACT! smile beer

There's a few brick heads here who think Beltrami's score for Terminator 3 is better than Fiedel's I & II rolleyes

Only on CD brick heads....only on CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Elfman has taken two projects that belonged to Beltrami (Hellboy 2 and Terminator: Salvation). Thief!

Come on, how did Elfman steal from Beltrami? It was Beltrami that stole from Fiedel

Terminator belongs to Fiedel, no other angry

FACT! smile beer

There's a few brick heads here who think Beltrami's score for Terminator 3 is better than Fiedel's I & II rolleyes

Only on CD brick heads....only on CD.

yep the score in the movie is basically top notch, it defines the sound of the Terminator movies punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    The reason Fiedel's scores work in Terminator when he has never written another score that worked anywhere else is surely the same reason that Arnold Schwarzenegger was brilliant in those films - Arnie's bewildered, fish-out-of-water performance is perfect for that character. And Fiedel's banal, simplistic music is perfect for Arnie's performance.

But as far as I know, Arnie isn't the subject of the fourth film, so the lack of Fiedel is fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    Curious... what is it specifically that turns people off of The Nightmare Before Christmas score and songs?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Curious... what is it specifically that turns people off of The Nightmare Before Christmas score and songs?

-Erik-

I think perhaps because it's a very specific style. Weird, quirky, Burton-esque that -being as unique as it is- inevitably means it won't appeal to all.

It's a score that leaves little room for middle ground: You're either going to love that style, or not. (Thankfully I belong in the former group, but I can see why it turns people off.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think Steven summed it up pretty well for me. I just find that style intensely irritating.

p.s. The song 'What's This' sounds a lot like 'I'm Late' from Alice In Wonderland. Coincidence?? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NMBC actually moves through different styles - there are strong hints of Kurt Weill, some of Cab Calloway, some of wistful, melancholic pop and some of Gilbert & Sullivan. So I assume you'll have to dislike these as well?

Of course, the film has been adopted by the "emo" crowd, which is mostly due to the visual style. It's not something I particularly share, but I have no problem with it. If they identify with this film, great. I like it for whole other reasons, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gilbert & Sullivan freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love The Nightmare Before Christmas.
    In fact it's only one of the three musicals in history I actually love (the other two being The Wizard Of Oz and The Muppet Movie).

The sheer energy and creative explosion Elfman displays in this score pretty much marks it as his Magnum Opus in my opinion: there's not a sour note to be found! It's a plethora of melody, themes and rhythm in whirlwind succession.

Yes, it's a darkly quirky, highly baroque gothfest in trademark and unparalleled Elfman style, and if one's not partial to that this CD is NOT going to be light on the ear, but if that rocks your boat, the rocking starts at 00:00 and never ends until the CD is over!

Elfman's vocals have never sounded better, and the lyrics are the best fun I've heard this side of Rodgers & Hammerstein! In fact the whole thing plays like Kurt Weil meets Charles Addams!

It's one of my top rated CDs, and one I'd never ever ever ever ever put in a box.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Amen, brother! punk
    I am extremely serious.
  2. From the clips I've heard I don't like the quirkiness or the songs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    From the clips I've heard I don't like the quirkiness or the songs.

Nightmare before Christmas is a brilliant score if you think what it accomplishes in the movie, but on CD it isn't always that brilliant
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Nightmare before Christmas is a brilliant score if you think what it accomplishes in the movie, but on CD it isn't always that brilliant

The movie doesn't appeal either...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

it's an acquired taste, but I liked both the movie and the soundtrack
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surely those who don't like the score can at least appreciate the talent Elfman showed on Nightmare? Right? (Much like I appreciate Morricone's talent.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Surely those who don't like the score can at least appreciate the talent Elfman showed on Nightmare? Right? (Much like I appreciate Morricone's talent.)

Oh, for sure. I've always had the utmost respect for Elfman and I'm not adverse to a reasonably sized portion of his scores.

I love the stop motion animation in NMBC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    His Music for a Darkened Theatre albums (even the very good fan-made third one) are good for non-fan-but-appreciators-of-Elfman me thinks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    His Music for a Darkened Theatre albums (even the very good fan-made third one) are good for non-fan-but-appreciators-of-Elfman me thinks.

Indeed! And funny enough I have those two volumes. I really like some of the obscure stuff, Face Like A Frog, The Jar etc and I prefer The Flash theme over Batman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Indeed! And funny enough I have those two volumes. I really like some of the obscure stuff, Face Like A Frog, The Jar etc and I prefer The Flash theme over Batman.

You're definitely more open to Elfman than I am to Barry, anyway...(even though there is SOME Barry I like too).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think perhaps because it's a very specific style. Weird, quirky, Burton-esque that -being as unique as it is- inevitably means it won't appeal to all.

It's a score that leaves little room for middle ground: You're either going to love that style, or not. (Thankfully I belong in the former group, but I can see why it turns people off.)

Exactly. beer I was personally never a fan of that quirky, Barton-esque side of Elfman; give me dark and dissonant Elfman over it any day!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    Timmer wrote

a british tar is a soaring soul! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Danny, he's 56 today cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love that you quoted Raiders Of the Lost Ark there! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Danny, he's 56 today cool beer

Danny who?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Danny KAYE y' idiot. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Happy Birthday to Daniel Robert Elfman!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love that you quoted Raiders Of the Lost Ark there! cool

wink cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited
    Saw TERMINATOR yesterday. Great quality entertainment! Except for an obligatory "moral speech" towards the end, they've managed to keep the "metallic" feel that made the previous films so good, i.e. not too much CGI. However, I was impressed by the Arnold CGI character. It's the Gollum technology taken one step further.

Elfman's music was superb. Doom and gloom, but a melodic base and LOTS of cool percussive effects that take you back to POTA territory. I can't wait to get the CD (which has already been ordered).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Except for an obligatory "moral speech" towards the end

I was really disappointed they didn't add that stylistic element on to the Transformers film! It would have been such a nice wink to the cartoon series!
    "Today kids, we have learned that good is better than evil, because it's nicer. Also, don't do drugs!" Ahhhhh...the eighties! biggrin