• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    This news really surprised me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    This news really surprised me.

It is idiotic, isn't it? It's so unreasonable it would FAIL even if it was a joke. Elfman replaced by Haslinger.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Southall wrote
    In a hugely depressing bit of news, Danny Elfman has seen his score for Wolf Man rejected and he will be replaced by... Paul Haslinger. Well, how wonderful. Great move.

oh my god, the world has truly gone to shit
    no wonder filmmusic's going down the toilet angry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Marselus wrote
    Joe Johnston took time in 2008 (before Elfman was announced) to wax poetic about Elfman as his composer:

“If Danny Elfman does do it, I’m going to basically just let him run loose. I’m going to run the movie for him without music and without the temp track and say, “Do what you have never done before and see what comes out of it.” I think he’s fantastic. I can still listen to his score for Beetlejuice.”

Yes, yes......

I'm betting Johnston wanted him on board, but the producers were affraid it wasn't going to convince the populas, so weird sounding electronic shit will do that instead

no doubt in my mind it are the producers were decided this, just like Goldsmith and Tangerine Dream on Legend, and so forth and so forth
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    In a hugely depressing bit of news, Danny Elfman has seen his score for Wolf Man rejected and he will be replaced by... Paul Haslinger. Well, how wonderful. Great move.

oh my god, the world has truly gone to shit
    no wonder filmmusic's going down the toilet angry

No one has pulled the flush.....yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, this sucks, of course. It's the first time Elfman has had his whole score "rejected", so if nothing else it's a valuable piece of experience. I just hope it will be released in some form eventually, like Goldsmith's TIMELINE or Bernstein's LAST MAN STANDING.

Incidentally, I don't see why Elfman's rejection is necessary an excuse for slaughering his replacement. It's not Haslinger's fault that Elfman was tossed. Also, Haslinger is a fine composer in his own right, an electronic pioneer (in the Tangerine Dream days), so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor have you heard any of Haslinger's film music? It's pathetic to say the least.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What has he scored?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    crank
    death race
    shoot em up
    turistas
    vacancy
    underworld
    prom night

and other glorious noise like the above
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    crank
    death race
    shoot em up
    turistas
    vacancy
    underworld
    prom night

and other glorious noise like the above

Noise... biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've not seen any of those or heard any of his music?

It just seems odd to me that an A-list Hollywood composer has been dropped in favour of someone barely heard of. Elfman's name is so well known, surely his name on the movie poster is an added stamp of credibility to a movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's an odd replacement. If you look at the latest trailer for WOLF MAN, they are clearly aiming for a more contemporary sound for the film.

I really liked what I heard at the Elfman scoring session back in September, but even THEN the whole post-production was walking on egg-shells. When the news finally broke last month, it wasn't all that surprising. Disappointing, yes, but not surprising.

As of right now, the likelihood of ANYONE officially releasing Elfman's score is a big fat ZERO. At least until the film comes out, and some time has passed.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Since when symphonic music can't be modern?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    dgoldwas wrote
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's an odd replacement. If you look at the latest trailer for WOLF MAN, they are clearly aiming for a more contemporary sound for the film.

I've heard that this was the reason. I find it quite ironic - there was a day when Elfman was far too contemporary for many people's tastes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor have you heard any of Haslinger's film music? It's pathetic to say the least.

I've heard some of it. I thought UNDERWORLD was kinda nice, and definitely elements of VACANCY, especially the opening, which sounds a bit like Herrmann channeled through a groove sampler. Very cool. And of course, much of the film music he did with Tangerine Dream in the 80's is brilliant.

In short, I've got no problems with Haslinger. But I DO wish Elfman had stayed onboard for this, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Southall wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

I've heard that this was the reason. I find it quite ironic - there was a day when Elfman was far too contemporary for many people's tastes!

Indeed! I'm sure that, if he had more time to work on the project, Elfman could have delivered the contemporary electronic-infused score that they (currently) have decided that they want for the film. But (much like Goldsmith's situation on TIMELINE), a schedule conflict arose. Gotta get cracking on ALICE IN WONDERLAND, after all! wink
  3. Not necessarily a conflict -- he may not want to continue working on hte film. They may not want him to keep working on the film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Aww, I'm not the biggest Elfman fan but I was actually looking forward to this. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Not necessarily a conflict -- he may not want to continue working on hte film. They may not want him to keep working on the film.

Yeah.... I'm gonna go with what I said before. It's a schedule thing, dude. But hey, maybe you know more about the situation than me, and my information could be completely wrong. rolleyes
  4. Since you never stated you were in-the-know and therefore you post was more of a guess quality, you can shove that uneeded & uncessarily dickheaded statement up your big ol' butthole.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Justin:

1. In 99% of cases you can assume that Dan IS in the know about what's happening in the business. He made a living out of it.

2. If he had scoring session coverage done, it gives him EVEN MORE credibility than those 99%. Do your math.

You had your fair share of "unneeded and unnecessarily dickheaded statements" yourself anyway...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009
    Never really thought Elfman was able to create creepy tension, so I didn't have high expectations for Wolfman (hoping it would at least contain the romantic gothicism of Sleepy Hollow). I even rejoiced for a moment hearing his score was rejected, albeit very surprised, but when I heard who replaced him... all hopes went down the drain. Still, I will wait for what Hasslinger will come up with, but it would be his first good filmscore.

I didn't see the trailer as a hint to the musical tone of the film though, since there are lots of films that have a different marketing campaign just to attract youngsters. From Hell, for example: very electronical trailermusic, yet a wonderful romantic score by Trevor Jones.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    justin boggan wrote
    Since you never stated you were in-the-know and therefore you post was more of a guess quality, you can shove that uneeded & uncessarily dickheaded statement up your big ol' butthole.

Stay classy, Boggan!

And I don't think THIS post was a "guess quality". Maybe you should learn to read before jumping down people's throats.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … n/#Item_17
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sigh. Classic Justin and Dan.
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt, I blame Justin here. Dan's got insider knowledge and OK, maybe sometimes he could cite it as a point of reference (though I guess he doesn't want to do that not to "show off" too much), but in most of cases of studio politics, even if I am not sure of the source (which can't be quoted, typical case of journalistic protection of your informants, has Justin ever heard of journalistic secrecy? For God's sake, in Poland it's protected by the law!), I give Dan the benefit of the doubt, because he is IN the industry!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ban Boggen! Seriously... how disrespectful, Justin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Awful news! slant
    Seriously who in his right mind would replace Elfman with what's his name on such a project. I was looking forward to that. Another dissapointment scorewise.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    Stavroula wrote
    Awful news! slant
    Seriously who in his right mind would replace Elfman with what's his name on such a project. I was looking forward to that. Another dissapointment scorewise.

The list of big name composers who have had their score junked is long and illustrious, Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein, Morricone.........
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    Stavroula wrote
    Awful news! slant

Who said anything about right minds? Replace it with "fucked up" minds and you most probably have your answer sweety wink
  7. My favourite reaction to all this hullaballoo:

This is a tragedy of the highest and most despicable order.

Seriously, it was worth having this score rejected just to hear someone react like that. biggrin
    http://mmuk64.proboards.com/index.cgi?b … hread=4218
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am