• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I wish Varese would actually tell us about the SCORE and not the movie! angry

What for? Their descriptions are almost a variation on "classic of all classics". Marketing style. Varese should put *samples* of each and every score they release, if it is usefulness we talk about.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    They were funny though. They had cookie cutter sentences.

''This score arguably one of the composers finest/best/anticipated/greatest of the year...'' etc. etc.
  1. "Orchestra members gave a standing ovation..."

"Loud cheering followed every take, and sometimes interrupted takes, the musicians were so excited..."

"The musicians crowded into the control room after every cue, eager to see what scenes each incredible cue accompanied..."

"A pillow fight broke out between the film's producers over whether this was the best score they'd ever heard, or just the best this year."

"Tom Cruise dropped by to give it his stamp of approval."
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    franz_conrad wrote
    "Orchestra members gave a standing ovation..."

"Loud cheering followed every take, and sometimes interrupted takes, the musicians were so excited..."

"The musicians crowded into the control room after every cue, eager to see what scenes each incredible cue accompanied..."
    b]

spin beer

"A pillow fight broke out between the film's producers over whether this was the best score they'd ever heard, or just the best this year."

Shoulda been there to watch that! biggrin

Now that's kewl cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    "Orchestra members gave a standing ovation..."

LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Did anyone listen to Mars Attacks? IMO it was not very good but I really liked some of the synth effects implied for the aliens. It sounded pretty fitting to me, along with some of the action music towards the end.

Those "synth effects" you talk of is the early electronic instrument the Theremin which was used in many 1950's B-movie Sci-Fi films and exactly the effect Elfman wanted for the film which is an affectionate piss take of the whole genre.

I quite like some of the score, particularly the brilliant Main Titles march. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm quite excited about the upcoming Errol Morris documentary S.O.P., even though Elfman is - ONCE AGAIN! - using parts of his "Serenada Schizophrana" as underscore. I just hope he's written some ORIGINAL material in addition. You can actually see some preview clips of this "talking heads" documentary here:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/2008/03/24/abughraib

The first clip is the only one with score, and it's an excerpt from the previously-mentioned "Serenada Schizophrana".
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Morris probably hired him specifically to adapt SERENADA into a score. I can see how that concert work would fit with Morris's style, as it's got passages that are about halfway between Philip Glass and the late Caleb Sampson (who scored a number of Morris films).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    When did he use the Serenada too then?
    Because you say 'once again'.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Deep Sea 3D or something wasn't it?
  3. Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So if I have the Serenada CD, do I really need this?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't think Deep Sea was released as it was Serenada...
  4. Southall wrote

We don't know yet about SOP. If it's a direct copy of the Serenada, I would say not. If he's re-arranged it to be a bit more emotionally intense, I'd be interested in hearing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

We don't know yet about SOP. If it's a direct copy of the Serenada, I would say not. If he's re-arranged it to be a bit more emotionally intense, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Plus if he's composed some new material in addition.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has anyone seen the Deep Sea thing? How does the music fit in?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I saw it in an IMAX theatre in Barcelona last month. It was an OK film, I guess...a bit longwinded at times and they could have done it a bit more spectacular, especially since this is supposed to be the ultimate cinemagoing experience. But the music fit very well. There was a sequence with an octopus and a sand lobster thingie that was quite playful, yet serious at the same time. Some other moments as well, such as the almost minimalistic music for the jellyfish. I should probably see it again some day, though (and without the Spanish dubbing!) to get a more detailed overview.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008 edited
    Standard Operating Procedure Tracklisting:

1. S.O.P. Theme #1: Standard Operating Procedure (5:56)
    2. The Infamous Pyramid (3:48)
    3. Photos (2:56)
    4. The Shooter (3:26)
    5. Dogs (3:42)
    6. The Wolf (1:11)
    7. Saddam’s Egg (3:30)
    8. Main Titles: Vacation in Iraq* (2:07)
    9. S.O.P. Theme #2: Amnesty (1:33)
    10. What Is Going On Here? (2:32)
    11. Gilligan (3:02)
    12. Story of the Ants (3:36)
    13. The Table Breaker (1:01)
    14. S.O.P. Theme #3: Feelings & Facts (5:26)
    15. Unusual, Weird & Wrong (2:32)
    16. A Bad Feeling* (2:22)
    17. Birdies (1:38)
    18. S.O.P. End Credits (1:26)
    19. Oli’s Lullaby (2:00)

-> http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D897%2D2
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008
    DANNY ELFMAN TO COMPOSE NEW “HOUDINI” MUSICAL FOR BROADWAY

Three-time Academy Award nominee Danny Elfman (music) and two-time Tony nominee David Yazbek (lyrics) will pen the score for the new musical Houdini, which is aiming for a Broadway bow in spring 2010.

Scott Sanders and David Rockwell will produce the musical, which features a book by best-selling author, journalist and editor Kurt Andersen. Three-time Tony Award winner Jack O'Brien is attached to direct; Rockwell will also design the sets.

Houdini, based on the life of the late magician and escape artist Harry Houdini, "ultimately deals with the human yearning for astonishment and miracles — both manmade and supernatural —and the quest to defy death," according to press notes.

In a statement producer Sanders said, "When David Rockwell asked me to join him as a co-lead producer, I didn't hesitate for a moment. Houdini is an amazing, iconic figure who continues to captivate our imagination more than 80 years after his death. His colorful world defines the theatrical and, combined with this remarkable creative team, will make for a fascinating and entertaining musical."

Producer-designer Rockwell added, "The musical theatre has always been a passion of mine, and I can't imagine a more thrilling opportunity than the creation of a new musical, especially with this team."

Theatre, casting and a complete design team for Houdini: An Original Musical will be announced at a later date.

Danny Elfman (Music) is one of today’s most successful creators of movie music and is one of few who managed to make the transition from rock musician to orchestral score composer. The Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated writer has been working in motion pictures since 1985, when director Tim Burton and star Paul Reubens called him to write the music for Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. The Elfman-Burton collaboration continued with the music for Beetlejuice and Batman, which earned him a Grammy. Since then, Elfman has scored nearly all of Burton’s movies including Edward Scissorhands, Batman and Batman Returns, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes, The Corpse Bride, and Charlie And The Chocolate Factory . Elfman's music for Good Will Hunting , Men in Black and Big Fish earned him three Oscar nominations. He has also composed the scores for such diverse films as Midnight Run, Spider-Man 1 & 2, Dick Tracy, Sommersby, Mission: Impossible, Black Beauty, Dolores Claiborne, Chicago, Dead Presidents, A Simple Plan, The Family Man, Proof of Life, To Die For, Charlotte’s Web and Meet The Robinsons. Upcoming scores include Wanted staring Angelina Jolie for acclaimed Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, Errol Morris’ documentary Standard Operating Procedure, Hellboy II directed by Pan’s Labyrinth’s Guillermo Del Toro and Milk, a biographical film about Harvey Milk directed by Gus Van Sant starring Sean Penn. Elfman is also well-known for his classic television themes to “The Simpsons,“ “Tales from the Crypt,” and “Desperate Housewives.” Elfman’s first full-length orchestral commission, Serenada Schizophrana, was premiered at Carnegie Hall and was recorded for Sony Classics. Elfman will be making his ballet debut this summer with the American Ballet Theatre's at the Metropolitan Opera House with the World Premiere of a new work choreographed by Twyla Tharp.

David Yazbek (Lyrics) A varied career as a recording artist, Emmy-winning TV and film writer, music producer, and pianist has somehow led Yazbek to become one of Broadway's preeminent composer/lyricists. His two shows, The Full Monty and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels received a combined 21 Tony Award nominations with Yazbek being twice nominated for Best Score. The Full Monty won him the Drama Desk award for Best Music. As a recording artist, Yazbek is responsible for 5 albums-The Laughing Man (winner N.A.I.R.D. award Best Pop Album of the Year), Tock, Damascus, Tape Recorder and the brand-new Evil Monkey Man. He has written and/or produced for such acts as XTC, Ruben Blades, The Persuasions, Joe Jackson, Tito Puente and many others. He also produced the original cast albums of his two Broadway shows, The Full Monty and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, both nominated for Grammy awards. In past lives, he has written dozens of scripts for TV and film, co-created the PBS children's series "The Puzzle Place," won an Emmy for his comedy-writing stint on "Late Night with David Letterman" and wrote the unrelenting theme song for "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"

Jack O'Brien (Director) Broadway: The Coast of Utopia (Tony Awards® 2007, Best Director and Play); Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Tony nominations 2005, Best Director and Musical); Henry IV (Tony Awards® 2004, Best Director and Play Revival); Hairspray (Tony Awards® 2003 and Drama Desk Awards, Best Director and Musical); Imaginary Friends; The Invention of Love (Tony nominations, Best Director and Play; Drama Desk Award, Best Director); The Full Monty (Tony nominations, Best Director and Musical); More to Love; Getting Away With Murder; Pride's Crossing; The Little Foxes; Hapgood (Lucille Lortel Award, Best Director); Damn Yankees (Tony nomination, Best Musical Revival); Two Shakespearean Actors (Tony nominations, Best Director and Play); Porgy and Bess (Tony Award®, Most Innovative Revival; Best Director nomination); St. Louis Woman; The Most Happy Fella. For the Metropolitan Opera, Il Trittico, 2007. London: Hairspray (Olivier Award Nominations, Best Director and Musical). Artistic Director of the Old Globe Theatre, San Diego, from 1981-2007. Productions include Twelfth Night, The Full Monty, The Seagull, The Magic Fire, Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, Henry IV, Much Ado About Nothing, Oleanna, Damn Yankees, King Lear, Ghosts, Hamlet, Uncle Vanya, Breaking Legs, Emily. TV: six movies for PBS's "American Playhouse." Recent awards: 2008 Theatre Hall of Fame Inductee, National Theatre Conference 2007 Person of the Year, 2005 John Houseman Award, 2007 and 2001 Joan Cullman Award for Extraordinary Creativity, 2004 Thomas Degaetani Award (USITT), 2002 "Mr. Abbott" Award (SDCF), 2001 Joe A. Callaway Award (SDCF), the Drama League's 2001 Julia Hansen Award for Excellence in Directing. Member, College of Fellows of the American Theatre; Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, University of San Diego.

Kurt Andersen (Book) is the author of the critically acclaimed novels Heyday and Turn of the Century. Heyday was a New York Times bestseller that appeared on many short lists (Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, New York Public Library, The Onion) of the best novels of 2007, and recently won the Langum Prize, given each year to the best work of American historical fiction. The New York Times called Turn of the Century "wickedly satirical" and "outrageously funny" and one of the Notable Books of the year; it was a national bestseller. He has also written for film, television and the stage. He adapted Turn of the Century as a screenplay for Warner Bros and the director Curtis Hanson. He is co-author of Loose Lips, a satirical off-Broadway revue that ran in New York and Los Angeles and starred Bebe Neuwirth, Peter Boyle, and Andy Richter. And he has written the book for Broomhilda, a musical comedy, for director and lyricist Martin Charnin. He writes a monthly column for New York Magazine and contributes to Vanity Fair. He has previously been a columnist for The New Yorker and design and architecture for Time. He is also host and co-creator of "Studio 360", the Peabody Award-winning cultural magazine show on public radio. As an editor, he co-founded Spy, and served as editor-in-chief of New York Magazine. He is also a co-founder of Very Short List, an online cultural service, and an editor-at-large for Random House. In 2003, New York Magazine named him one of the 100 People Who Changed New York.
    Scott Sanders (Producer) is one of the entertainment industry's most creative and prolific entrepreneurs, with a proven track record of producing quality entertainment properties for a variety of media. In addition to his credit as lead producer of the 11 Tony Award-nominated hit Broadway musical The Color Purple, he is widely credited with the historic turnaround of Radio City Music Hall. Additional credits include Elaine Stritch: At Liberty, which won the 2002 Tony Award, and the HBO special of "Elaine Stritch: At Liberty," which won two Emmy Awards, including one for Sanders for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special. Sanders partnered with Queen Latifah in a groundbreaking music partnership to record and produce her first vocal album, The Dana Owens Album, which is approaching platinum sales status and received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Jazz Vocal Album. He also produced the Tony Award-nominated Broadway production Dame Edna: Back With a Vengeance and pop star Josh Groban's Broadway debut in a concert version of Chess at the New Amsterdam Theatre. Sanders also launched film and television powerhouse Mandalay Entertainment with partner and chairman Peter Guber and served as president of Mandalay Television, executive producing six network series - in association with Columbia TriStar - including ABC's "Cupid" with Jeremy Piven and the WB's "Young Americans" with Kate Bosworth. He is the CEO of Scott Sanders Productions, a New York-based feature film and live-theatre production company, which has a first look motion picture deal with Walt Disney Studios. scottsandersproductions.com
    David Rockwell (Producer/Scenic Design) designed the sets for Hairspray (Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle, Laurence Olivier nominations), Legally Blonde The Musical (Drama Desk nomination), The Rocky Horror Show (Drama Desk Nomination), All Shook Up (Drama Desk Nomination), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Armed and Naked in America, Omnium Gatherum, Let Me Down Easy, and, for film, Team America. He is the founder and CEO of Rockwell Group, a New York-based architecture and design firm. Projects include Adour Alain Ducasse at The St. Regis, JetBlue's Terminal 5 at John F. Kennedy International Airport, Imagination Playground, the Elinor Bunin-Munroe Film Center at Lincoln Center, Aloft Hotels, W New York, W Union Square, Nobu, Nobu Fifty Seven and Café Gray. Rockwell is included in Interior Design magazine's Hall of Fame and received the Presidential Design Award. He is currently the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS (DIFFA) and serves on the board of Citymeals-on-Wheels. Spectacle, a book by David Rockwell with Bruce Mau, was published by Phaidon in 2006.
  5. Sounds like a well fitting assignment to me. I´m not his biggest fan, but I can certainly see why they hired him, and rightly so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas wrote

These are the only two cues adapted from Serenada Schizophrena, according to the back cover.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Thomas wrote

These are the only two cues adapted from Serenada Schizophrena, according to the back cover.

I was just about to ask what the ''*'' were for. Nice of Varese not to list them. rolleyes

Any ideas what this score is going to be like? It sounds very unpredictable.
  6. Anthony wrote
    It sounds very unpredictable.

In my experience SOPs are far from unpredictable.

I probably won't be listening to this when it is released as I have an inherent dislike for standard operating procedures.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote

I probably won't be listening to this when it is released as I have an inherent dislike for standard operating procedures.

So, not going to give it a chance? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote

smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I'm not buying it until I know what it's going to be like. Elfman is either really good or really bad. It's quite clever how influential a simple name can be. For example, I will buy anything with Giacchino on it. I don't think once (well, perhaps The Family Stone) has one of his scores been a dissapointment.

Oh God, I am sounding like a fanboy! cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    Last.fm has 3 audio clips from Standard Operating Procedure.

-> http://www.lastfm.de/music/Danny+Elfman … +Procedure
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited
    Interesting...I may check this out after all. smile Thanks! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    LAST.fm rul3z! cool biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    D00d! U sp34k l33t!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn