• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    I love Elfman in action mode, so definitely looking forward to this one. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree Thor, and it's that Elfman who's given me more enjoyment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010 edited
    Thor, the scores i mentioned have nothing in common to what you quoted above. I am not a fan of those works either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. No love for Mission: Impossible, I see? It's an insanely intelligent score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is, but it's not what i prefer to play; the scores from the last 2-3 years that he wrote are much closer to my tastes smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No love for Mission: Impossible, I see? It's an insanely intelligent score.

Sure, most of the "noisy" scores I mentioned worked brilliantly in the movie. I just can't sit through them on a soundtrack album without skipping or turning to something else.

But give me bliss like EDWARD, BLACK BEAUTY, NMBC, SOMMERSBY, DOLORES CLAIBORNE or the contemporary, textural/classical stuff like STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, THE KINGDOM, FAMILY MAN, MILK, TAKING WOODSTOCK or GOOD WILL HUNTING....ANY day!

Also, I really love PLANET OF THE APES, even though that's pretty noisy too. But it's more STRUCTURED noise, with some awesome grooves, percussive riffs and setpieces. It's like a heavy metal score album...without being heavy metal!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How's Hellboy 2? I never got around to hearing that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    How's Hellboy 2? I never got around to hearing that.

It's a bit too noisy too for my taste, but has some good segments; especially the more heroic material.

I prefer Beltrami's original, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote

Indeed it is. The best Mission: Impossible film score by a mile!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Sure, most of the "noisy" scores I mentioned worked brilliantly in the movie. I just can't sit through them on a soundtrack album without skipping or turning to something else.

But give me bliss like EDWARD, BLACK BEAUTY, NMBC, SOMMERSBY, DOLORES CLAIBORNE or the contemporary, textural/classical stuff like STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, THE KINGDOM, FAMILY MAN, MILK, TAKING WOODSTOCK or GOOD WILL HUNTING....ANY day!

Also, I really love PLANET OF THE APES, even though that's pretty noisy too. But it's more STRUCTURED noise, with some awesome grooves, percussive riffs and setpieces. It's like a heavy metal score album...without being heavy metal!

Weird world eh Thor? You the Elf-fan, me the non Elf-fan finally merging in a love for his later or more refined style biggrin wink

I don't much like Planet of The Apes but I do often give the great main titles a spin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

-Erik-

It's the most intelligent of them all indeed; 2nd one i am not even commenting it, but Giacchino's my favorite; i am not sure it's because it's actually better than Elfman's, but it's closer to my tastes, personally speaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

-Erik-

It's the most intelligent of them all indeed; 2nd one i am not even commenting it, but Giacchino's my favorite; i am not sure it's because it's actually better than Elfman's, but it's closer to my tastes, personally speaking.

Zimmer is actually my favourite, followed by Elfman followed by Giacchino, which is just 'meh, whatever' - neither good nor bad. Is there a composer for IV yet?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Giacchino. It's directed by Brad Bird and produced by J. J. Abrams, so it's a no-brainer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Zimmer's Mission Impossible II score is one of the cheesiest, most awful film scores I've ever heard, the score and the film deserve each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Giacchino. It's directed by Brad Bird and produced by J. J. Abrams, so it's a no-brainer.

Oh. Sorry to hear that. Not only because I dislike Giacchino, but because I thought it would be possible to continue the trend with a new composer for each film, like with the ALIEN series.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The third film was the best one by far, so there's no point in the studios switching everything around again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    The third film was the best one by far, so there's no point in the studios switching everything around again.

I prefer the look, feel and pace of DePalma's version... no matter how confusing it was. He kept the spirit of the original TV show alive which I think the third and most definitely the second one failed to do. Woo and Abrams' versions are more action oriented (too much if you ask me) where as DePalma's was about mystery and suspense and saved the big (over the top and highly unrealistic) action scene til the end of the picture.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited
    I like Abrams and Giacchino, but there's no way that they even come close to DePalma and Elfman regarding Mission: Impossible, among other things for the reasons Erik stated. It's supposed to be about suspense and The Plot!
  3. PawelStroinski wrote

Some love from me -- one of his best scores. Okay in the film, excellent apart.

Giacchino. It's directed by Brad Bird and produced by J. J. Abrams, so it's a no-brainer.

Well, let's take a look at the scoring history of the M:I films:

M:I 1: Silvestri hired. Score rejected, Elfman hired.

M:I 2: Elfman hired. Elfman replaced by Zimmer.
    Even if all Danny did were demos -- I got to hear it.

M:I 3: Zimmer hired. Zimmer replaced by Giacchino.

Not looking so good for Giacchino...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote

I don't when or where you heard that. Elfman never had anything to do with MI2. I know that for a fact.

As for Zimmer ever being involved on 3, I highly doubt it.

Just seems like more of your speculative ramblings, Justin (which are NOT constructive)! angry
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote

What the deuce? This is the first time I've heard of such news. And I HIGHLY doubt that Abrams had Zimmer in mind to score M:I 3. Giacchino was his first and only choice.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

What the deuce? This is the first time I've heard of such news. And I HIGHLY doubt that Abrams had Zimmer in mind to score M:I 3. Giacchino was his first and only choice.

-Erik-

Absolutely. I'm gonna be a little harsh now, but it's exactly the kind of horseshit that Justin spreads with those fanboy fantasies that cause rumours to surface that have no grounding in reality. It's something that annoys me quite a bit.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. He probably wasn't the director in trades at the moment.

Elfman stated at least twice in interviews he was doing M:I2.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I never knew Zimmer was planned to score the third? Or that Elfman was planned to score the second? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    I never knew Zimmer was planned to score the third? Or that Elfman was planned to score the second? uhm

Just ignore it and move on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    He probably wasn't the director in trades at the moment.

He can state all he wants doesn't mean that he ever signed a contract.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

Zimmer's involvement *was* a rumor in part 3. Abrams always wanted Giacchino, but I think Chris Tilton did state on one of the forums (scorereviews or Jon Broxton's) that Abrams wanted Giacchino, but that he heard that Zimmer was already signed. I remember reading something like this.

Tom Cruise reportedly loves Hans and he pushed Zwick to hire him for Last Samurai, though on the other hand, the composer stated that he was sent the script in queue (what?) to enter the post-Oscar party, that they talked about it and few weeks later Hans got the script.
  6. justin boggan wrote
    He probably wasn't the director in trades at the moment.

Director in trades? Joe Carnahan might have considered Zimmer to score it, but MOST definitely David Fincher (was it part two or three?) wouldn't.

Zimmer most definitely got the job on part two due to his relationship with John Woo after scoring Broken Arrow and almost scoring Face/Off (after firing Isham he wanted Zimmer, but - due to scheduling conflict - Hans gave it to John Powell and said that if Powell did anything wrong (and he wouldn't), he'd come in and personally correct it). I highly doubt that Elfman was considered to do M:I-2 after Woo had been hired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    NEXT THREE DAYS

CD COVER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images … mp;s=music

Product Details

* Audio CD (November 16, 2010)
    * Number of Discs: 1
    * Format: Soundtrack
    * Label: Lion's Gate Records