• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    NP. I really like the sound bits - this is a must-buy for me. Also happy that the Hitchcock TV theme is there smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    It's OK, but nothing remarkable. I'll wait untill I hear the whole thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012
    The Silver linings playbook score

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/11/10 … m-details/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012
    More on Hitchcock

http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012 edited
    Amazon also has the tracklisting up:

1. Logos
    2. Theme from "Hitchcock"
    3. The Premiere
    4. Paramount / Out the Gate
    5. Mommy Dearest
    6. In Bed
    7. Impulses
    8. The Censor
    9. The Swim
    10. Peeping
    11. Sacrifices
    12. Walk With Hitch
    13. Celery
    14. Telephone
    15. Suspicion
    16. Explosion
    17. Selling Psycho
    18. Fantasy Smashed
    19. The Sand
    20. It's A Wrap
    21. Busted
    22. Saving The House
    23. Finally
    24. Home At Last
    25. End Credit#1
    26. End Credit#2
    27. Funeral March for a Marionette

Well, at least the many tracks with small titles is Herrmannesque.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012
    Very! I see there is a track called Celery, I wonder if any soundtrack in history has had a track called Celery?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Very! I see there is a track called Celery, I wonder if any soundtrack in history has had a track called Celery?

I couldn't resist it and had to rise to the challenge!

Rachel Portman's score to Emma had the track "Celery Root".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012
    Well I never. spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. My review of SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/11/30/silve … ny-elfman/

Jon
  3. It's a shame studio's couldn't work together to have their scores together, as in the Elfman/Burton box, because the "Silver Linings Playbook" score and score over a decade ago from another studio for "Anywhere But Here", would make a great combo.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    There isn't much score in ANYWHERE BUT HERE beyond what is already in the suite on the soundtrack release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    This be my first visit to this thread in 2 years. Me no like Elfman much.
    Xcept for Scissorhands and Charlotte's Web. But even those are too syrupy except for rare occasions. Oh, and the last part of "A Dilemma" from Hellboy 2. Probably my favorite cue by him. And yet strangely I have 17 Elfman albums...I keep trying for some reason.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Have you tried Black Beauty or Sommersby?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Elfman's scores are anything but 'syrupy'. Magical, sure, but if there's ONE composer out there who never resorts to 'cheap shots', it's him (maybe along with Goldenthal).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    Elfman's scores are anything but 'syrupy'.

Oh, Thor... they are. But that doesn't bother me. Edward Scissorhands is a fairytale and the score has to be 'sweet.' And that sort of sound fit the picture like a glove! Elfman's score is also magical but it's also oozing with sugar... but not in a cheap sort of way! I mean, how else was Elfman to score the 'Ice Dance' or "Grand Finale?'

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's the dripping syrupyness of Scissorhands that has always turned me off that score, with the odd exceptions I've rarely liked Elfman's choral writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I disagree vehemently with that assertion. I make a difference between the kind of magical consonance that he used to do in the 90's and more typical melodramatic 'sugar' soap opera approach.

The funny thing, though, is that Elfman is mostly about dense orchestrations, lots of counterpoint and hidden melodic lines -- especially in later years -- which is the direct ANTI-THESIS to a 'sugar approach'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It doesn't matter how he composes the music... stuff like Ice Dance and Grand Finale from the Edward score are sugary sweet, innocent and deeply emotional! Unlike Timmer, I have no issues with that because the film's with those kinds of cues call for them.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    It's the dripping syrupyness of Scissorhands that has always turned me off that score, with the odd exceptions I've rarely liked Elfman's choral writing.

Same here, cannot stand old Elfman at all; but Scribe, don't be put off by those; he's matured tremendously as a composer since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't think Elfman had to mature from Edward Scissorhands. That's how he would have scored the film if it was made today! That's HIS sound. Sure, he's tackled more action and dramatic scores since then but he still has his signature sound and when called upon he can still write in that angelic, fairytale style. Have you heard "Happy Ending" from Frankenweenie?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, not so saccharine in any case smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I need recommendations for Elfman scores with good recording quality / orchestrations; scores like Alice in Wonderland are interestingly creative but the action music is off-putting because it sounds so cheap and frail and synthy...IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Frankenwienie is otherwise full of darker and dramatic cues, whilst in his past, some scores were constant overdose of cheesy female choirs from start to finish smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    And Frankenwienie is otherwise full of darker and dramatic cues, whilst in his past, some scores were constant overdose of cheesy female choirs from start to finish smile

You mean children's choirs.

And Edward Scissorhands DOESN'T have darker or dramatic music? Maybe you should listen to it again!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I need recommendations for Elfman scores with good recording quality / orchestrations; scores like Alice in Wonderland are interestingly creative but the action music is off-putting because it sounds so cheap and frail and synthy...IMO.

Alice in Wonderland frail and synthy? dizzy

Give Black Beauty and Sommersby a spin! Article 99 is a fantastic early dramatic effort by Elfman.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

You mean children's choirs.

And Edward Scissorhands DOESN'T have darker or dramatic music? Maybe you should listen to it again!

-Erik-

Children, synth, female, it's all mixed and can't really tell with Elfman when he's on this mode. I also despise stuff like beetlejuice and Mars Attacks...give me post 2003-4+ Elfman anytime smile I don't have the courage to go through Edward Scissor-hands again my friend.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree 100% with Erik, those scores are superb, try em out Matt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt, for something more modern if you want, check out Wanted, Hellboy 2, wolfman, Sparkles At Last, red dragon, Hulk. Great scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have Black Beauty and Sommersby. But he doesn't compose like that anymore so I find it hard to get excited about 21st century Elfman.

Wanted, Hellboy 2, Wolfman...I have all of those but overall I find them rather boring. Some nice themes but that's about it.

Red Dragon and Hulk sound interesting, I must check them out sometime.

Yes, Alice in Wonderland sounds frail and synthy to me. I don't know what it is. The choir parts are cool but the action writing sounds week. Granted, I feel the same way about John Carter.

D what score did you mean to write when you accidentally pasted "Sparkles at Last" into that list? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    S.O.P.

What's SOP?

YES! S.O.P.!
    Kazoo