• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    Yes! smile S.o.p! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Yes, Alice in Wonderland sounds frail and synthy to me. I don't know what it is. The choir parts are cool but the action writing sounds week. Granted, I feel the same way about John Carter.

I. HATE YOU! angry wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wanna hear what true Danny Elfman sounds like. Play Serenada Schizophrana.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited
    Some really weird sentiments here.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of the greatest scores composed in the last 5 years, and is very FULL and ORCHESTRAL. I have no idea what ears are being used to label it 'frail' and 'synthy'. That just sounds absurd.

I generally agree with Erik, except for the fact that I wouldn't label something like "The Ice Dance" sugary or saccharine. Those are rather negative terms. Rather I would label them magical and ethereal. HUGE difference. Want sugar? Put on some Max Steiner or something!

Just deal with it -- Danny Elfman is the greatest film composer in history after John Williams! tongue

For the record -- in case it wasn't obvious -- EDWARD SCISSORHANDS is one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Some really weird sentiments here.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of the greatest scores composed in the last 5 years, and is very FULL and ORCHESTRAL. I have no idea what ears are being used to label it 'frail' and 'synthy'. That just sounds absurd.

I agree! Not with it being one of the best of the last 5 years but the synthy, frail comments are odd. I think the Dennis Sands recording is stellar!

Thor wrote
    I generally agree with Erik, except for the fact that I wouldn't label something like "The Ice Dance" sugary or saccharine. Those are rather negative terms. Rather I would label them magical and ethereal. HUGE difference. Want sugar? Put on some Max Steiner or something!

Sugary, yes. Saccharine, no.

Thor wrote
    Just deal with it -- Danny Elfman is the greatest film composer in history after John Williams! tongue

cool

Thor wrote
    For the record -- in case it wasn't obvious -- EDWARD SCISSORHANDS is one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

I love it, too,

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think ALICE IN WONDERLAND is an excellent score, definitely one of my favourites of the last five years. it doesn't sound thin or synthy to me at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited

FACT!

IF your all time favourite composer is John Williams followed closely by Danny Elfman wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I never got into Alice in Wonderland, as much as I generally like later Elfman. I'd rather listen to Hellboy 2, S.O.P or Wanted.
  1. Thor wrote
    There isn't much score in ANYWHERE BUT HERE beyond what is already in the suite on the soundtrack release.

A good part was dropped from the film. There is more.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Yes, Alice in Wonderland sounds frail and synthy to me. I don't know what it is. The choir parts are cool but the action writing sounds week. Granted, I feel the same way about John Carter.

I. HATE YOU! angry wink

-Erik-

That's odd indeed.....Carter is bloody brilliant and Alice is a very nice score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ok, so I am listening to the finale sequence from Alice in Wonderland and I have to say, I was wrong...whatever it is that bothers me about Elfman's action writing, it cannot legitimately be described by "frail and synthy". There's still something that bothers me but I honestly can't say what it is...maybe its entirely psychological and I should just give up and learn to love Elfman.

Now I'm listening to some John Carter tracks and I'm thinking, maybe the problem is as simple as, I prefer a narrow stereo image and these recordings that bother me have a really wide stereo image? Cause there's obviously nothing wrong with the actual writing, John Carter is a fantastic score, and there's no particular other aspect to the sound design that I can pinpoint to describe what bothers me. It's just that I like the music to feel like it's right on top of me; with this recording I feel like the music is a bit far away, like I'm in the balcony of a symphony hall or like I'm listening to an outdoor orchestra performance in a park (which I've done a number of times). Something about it is just lacking impact and intimacy and presence. I'm not a sound designer so I can't describe it any better than that.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Ok, so I am listening to the finale sequence from Alice in Wonderland and I have to say, I was wrong...whatever it is that bothers me about Elfman's action writing, it cannot legitimately be described by "frail and synthy". There's still something that bothers me but I honestly can't say what it is...maybe its entirely psychological and I should just give up and learn to love Elfman.

He, he....yes, you should. Come to the dark side!

Seriously, though, it's perfectly fine if there's something in his music that doesn't connect with you. It was just your description of the ALICE music that sounded strange to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    Frankenweenie is indeed awesome btw!
  2. Demetris wrote
    Frankenweenie is indeed awesome btw!

I think that Elfman has had another good and varied year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very true Alan, varied is the word here; if you listen to this and then...Promised Land, it shows indeed, a matured composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He's a diverse composer and has been throughout his ENTIRE career!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited
    Not with scissor-kill-me-now-or-turn-the-stereo-off-hands wink kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I always thought he sounded very 'samey' during the 80's and 90's, or at least he was with the amount of fantasy related scores he was doing, not that this is a problem if you enjoy a particular style. From the late 90's onwards I've enjoyed Elfman's scores a lot more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I always thought he sounded very 'samey' during the 80's and 90's, or at least he was with the amount of fantasy related scores he was doing, not that this is a problem if you enjoy a particular style. From the late 90's onwards I've enjoyed Elfman's scores a lot more.

I adore his scores from the 80's and 90's up to MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. After that, he became a bit too 'dense' for me with all the counterpoint and stuff (with some exceptions) untill the "Serena Schizohphrana" ushered in a new, wonderful sound from 2005 onwards.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

Yeah, with Scissorhands. Up until that point in his career he had NEVER written a score like that.

-Erik-
  3. Demetris wrote

Did you have an ear and brain transplant during the last year? What's with all this trashing of some of the best film music written by any composer, ever?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin No, i don't think everyone agrees on this one my friend.
  4. Demetris wrote

I guess I just assumed that Scissorhands was universally admired. It's in my Top 20 favorite scores of all time!!
  5. I see the point but it's not entirely fair to draw a line between Elfman eras. I wasn't sure I'd ever hear a score from him again with such a beautifully simple, yearning theme as EDWARD SCISSORHANDS until he wrote THE FAMILY MAN. I hope that score sees the light of day from one of the specialty labels; it's gorgeous. I think it's less a question of "maturity" or whatever and more a function of what the composer is interested in writing. Tastes change. But whether he would write something in this or that style isn't a reflection of whether he could. I mean, it was in the throes of his movement towards abstraction in the late 90's/early 00's that he wrote the brilliant, bombastic SLEEPY HOLLOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Look, my comment is to be taken with a grain of salt as i am teasing Erik , but indeed i guess there are very few older Elfman scores i personally like. I find that with this more counterpoint-based, busier, darker style throughout his later years, he's closer to my tastes; he's also experimenting with other musical genres which i love, you'd never hear music like in Wanted or Philip Glass influences from older Elfman. Nothing wrong with either, it's just where do some tastes stand. I can never stand to listen to Edward Scissorhands, beetlejuice, Mars Attacks and similar Elfmanities whilst i happily often play his post 2000+ scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    I see the point but it's not entirely fair to draw a line between Elfman eras. I wasn't sure I'd ever hear a score from him again with such a beautifully simple, yearning theme as EDWARD SCISSORHANDS until he wrote THE FAMILY MAN. I hope that score sees the light of day from one of the specialty labels; it's gorgeous. I think it's less a question of "maturity" or whatever and more a function of what the composer is interested in writing. Tastes change. But whether he would write something in this or that style isn't a reflection of whether he could. I mean, it was in the throes of his movement towards abstraction in the late 90's/early 00's that he wrote the brilliant, bombastic SLEEPY HOLLOW.

I think it's possible to discern certain 'eras' in his (and perhaps most composers') careers. Composers evolve. The changing points might be flexible, but there's definitely been at least three major sound-changing periods in his career. That doesn't mean, however, that he can't tap into previous sounds or whatever for a new film. FRANKENWEENIE is the latest proof of that.

But I agree with you re: FAMILY MAN. A beautiful score that I play quite often (the promo release, that is). Deserves a proper, legitimate release -- preferably with the promo program.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Jon Broxton wrote
    Demetris wrote

I guess I just assumed that Scissorhands was universally admired. It's in my Top 20 favorite scores of all time!!

It'seasily in the top five Elfman scores, and easily one of the absolute best of that decade, and arguably a top 20 pick for best of that year, but best of all time?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Of my own personal favorites, yes. Favorites are entirely subjective (notice I said *favorite* and not *best* in my second comment), and based on the amount of pleasure I get from listening to it, and the emotional impact it has on me -- yes, Top 20 of all time.
  7. Jon Broxton wrote
    Of my own personal favorites, yes. Favorites are entirely subjective (notice I said *favorite* and not *best* in my second comment), and based on the amount of pleasure I get from listening to it, and the emotional impact it has on me -- yes, Top 20 of all time.

That's right, but that's not what you said the first time:

What's with all this trashing of some of the best film music written by any composer, ever?
  8. Which is why I'm clarifying things now.