• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Jon Broxton wrote
    Of my own personal favorites, yes. Favorites are entirely subjective (notice I said *favorite* and not *best* in my second comment), and based on the amount of pleasure I get from listening to it, and the emotional impact it has on me -- yes, Top 20 of all time.

You could certainly make a case for *best* if you wanted to. EDWARD is a hypodermic needle of emotion and few scores can match its mixture of lyricism, whimsy and melancholy. That it does this so unabashedly without tipping over into melodrama is fucking miraculous. Sure it's manipulative but you never feel the puppet strings. To me the choir was the real masterstroke in that regard, establishing a tonal palette for all of these emotions but keeping them otherwordly, in a way.
  2. Yes, but I never referenced your "Top 20".

, but best of all time?

You don't have to clarify to me, I wasn't even talking about what you clarified on. I think we're swerving dangerously close to "'No' meaning 'Yes'" territory. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Look, my comment is to be taken with a grain of salt as i am teasing Erik , but indeed i guess there are very few older Elfman scores i personally like. I find that with this more counterpoint-based, busier, darker style throughout his later years, he's closer to my tastes; he's also experimenting with other musical genres which i love, you'd never hear music like in Wanted or Philip Glass influences from older Elfman. Nothing wrong with either, it's just where do some tastes stand. I can never stand to listen to Edward Scissorhands, beetlejuice, Mars Attacks and similar Elfmanities whilst i happily often play his post 2000+ scores.

I prefer newer Elfman in general too, though I do enjoy Edward Scissorhands and some of his older stuff (I've always loved Midnight Run).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Of my own personal favorites, yes. Favorites are entirely subjective (notice I said *favorite* and not *best* in my second comment), and based on the amount of pleasure I get from listening to it, and the emotional impact it has on me -- yes, Top 20 of all time.

You could certainly make a case for *best* if you wanted to. EDWARD is a hypodermic needle of emotion and few scores can match its mixture of lyricism, whimsy and melancholy. That it does this so unabashedly without tipping over into melodrama is fucking miraculous. Sure it's manipulative but you never feel the puppet strings. To me the choir was the real masterstroke in that regard, establishing a tonal palette for all of these emotions but keeping them otherwordly, in a way.

Another brilliant aspect of the choral writing is how the 'oohs' and 'aaahs' respond to each other, especially in the "Ice Dance" -- a musical symbol of the non-verbal communication Edward tries to establish with Kim. There is so much meaning communicated exclusively through Elfman's music in that film (sometimes with no dialogue at all, like the factory scene). It's a bonus that it works so brilliantly alone too.

This is my fourth favourite soundtrack of all time (only topped by THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI and -- of course -- JURASSIC PARK).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Look, my comment is to be taken with a grain of salt as i am teasing Erik , but indeed i guess there are very few older Elfman scores i personally like. I find that with this more counterpoint-based, busier, darker style throughout his later years, he's closer to my tastes; he's also experimenting with other musical genres which i love, you'd never hear music like in Wanted or Philip Glass influences from older Elfman. Nothing wrong with either, it's just where do some tastes stand. I can never stand to listen to Edward Scissorhands, beetlejuice, Mars Attacks and similar Elfmanities whilst i happily often play his post 2000+ scores.

I'm curious if you've even heard enough of Elfman's early work? Have you every heard Dead Presidents, Midnight Run, Article 99, Wisdom, Nightbreed. Everythnig that you love about your modern, mature Elfman are in those early scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Yes, but I never referenced your "Top 20".

, but best of all time?

You don't have to clarify to me, I wasn't even talking about what you clarified on. I think we're swerving dangerously close to "'No' meaning 'Yes'" territory. ;-)

Shut up, Justin! Whoops, there's my first warning! It was worth it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

I'm curious if you've even heard enough of Elfman's early work? Have you every heard Dead Presidents, Midnight Run, Article 99, Wisdom, Nightbreed. Everythnig that you love about your modern, mature Elfman are in those early scores.

-Erik-

Only Dead Presidents and i found it horrible i am afraid.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really? I think DEAD PRESIDENTS is brilliant. Dark and brooding, with some ultracool Jimi Hendrix grooves and tribal rhytms. It's also one of the few scores that Danny conducted himself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But Thor it can't be good. It was composed in 1995 by an immature Danny "Oingo Boingo" Elfman. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ohhhh i forgot Oingo Boingo! shocked :run:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    But Thor is can't be good. It was composed in 1995 by an immature Danny "Oingo Boingo" Elfman. tongue

-Erik-

He, he...true. smile

Oingo Boingo -- one of my favourite bands, by the way -- wrapped it up in 1995 with their legendary Halloween farewell concert. This was also part of Danny's transition period in the mid 90's.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    I have an American friend who really enjoyed Oingo Boingo and even went to a few concerts but didn't know, until I told him, that Danny Elfman was also a film composer rolleyes biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So what's he got against film composers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    I think it surprised him that the lead of Oingo Boingo turned out to be a film composer... and a damn good one at that! I mean, can you believe the guy who wrote THIS turned around and wrote one of the greatest film scores of all time only a few years later.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was quite gobsmacked that he didn't know that but yes, he thought it was really cool once I'd told him and reeled off a bunch of films he'd scored.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    Danny always made a point out of having the two worlds very far apart. There was very little cross-pollination over the course of his career. However, "Insanity" on the last album -- one of my fav songs of theirs -- definitely had some film music elements with the orchestra, xylophones, children's chorus etc. Not to mention a very filmatic music video.

There's also a little bit of Boingo in some of his scores. MIDNIGHT RUN, for example, or WISDOM.

By the way, if you want to see Danny rock out on the xylophone (actually balophone) at the Halloween concert, check out this awesome clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuvPuQM7qc

especially from 2:50
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There you go then, not really a great leap of imagination to see why he didn't put 2 & 2 together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/h … 012elfman/

Review of the new Hitchcock score
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013
    OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623205/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful’ Soundtrack Details

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/02/21 … k-details/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013
    New from Danny Elfman:

EPIC

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.gr/2013/0 … n-new.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013 edited
    Also worth pointing out a new and exciting assignment:

http://www.kraft-engel.com/clients/danny-elfman/

He will score Errol Morris' next documentary, "The Unknown Known: The Life and Times of Donald Rumsfeld". Really good news, because I think Elfman's score for Morris' last documentary, STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, is one of the best scores by him in the last decade. Expect Philipp Glass!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's good news. I've been hugely disappointed by Elfman in recent years, everything has felt so "safe" and as if he's been within himself, which is ironic given he used to be anything but safe. But Standard Operating Procedure was brilliant - let's hope he can get back to that sort of form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

He will score Errol Morris' next documentary, "The Unknown Known: The Life and Times of Donald Rumsfeld". Really good news, because I think Elfman's score for Morris' last documentary, STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, is one of the best scores by him in the last decade. Expect Philipp Glass!

Nice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013
    Thor wrote

cool

I like SOP a lot and in no small thanks to you Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013
    Thor wrote

YES!! cheesy I've been listening to SOP the last week and it is absolutely staggeringly beautiful. It's become one of my favourite Elfman scores I think.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013
    50 seconds sound clips from every track AND two exclusive full streams of Danny Elfmans "Epic" (2013) over at CinemaMusica.de:

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1778/knallig … ikrokosmos

Enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    Dang, it doesn't work "in my location". It must be really offensive to Norwegians!rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    Danny Elfman is 60 years old today! Hard to believe. Congrats to one of my favourite composers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    That is hard to take in, I always see him as being younger. Anyway, happy birthday Danny beer