• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. He's Horner's age?! I thought he was younger!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    Horner started composing film scores while still in his 20's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Horner started composing film scores while still in his 20's.

So did Elfman. He was about 28 when he did FORBIDDEN ZONE. It's a pretty good generation -- Horner, Elfman, Silvestri, Newman, JNH. Let's put Zimmer in there too, although he rose to film score fame a bit later.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But nobody knew him then. Back in 1982 Horner stamped his big mark down on STAR TREK II, Elfman would have to wait until 1989.

To be honest though, when the likes of John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein et-el were mopping up all the big gigs back in the 60's John Williams was being given very poor crumbs from the feasting table. dizzy cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    But nobody knew him then. Back in 1982 Horner stamped his big mark down on STAR TREK II, Elfman would have to wait until 1989.

To be honest though, when the likes of John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein et-el were mopping up all the big gigs back in the 60's John Williams was being given very poor crumbs from the feasting table. dizzy cheesy

I would argue that PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE was a pretty big breakthrough for Elfman....but yeah, not as much as STAR TREK II. So in that respect, BATMAN is probably more comparable.

Williams did a couple of A pictures in the 60's -- HOW TO STEAL A MILLION and THE REIVERS. But compared to those other guys, it wasn't quite in the same league. On the other hand, he DID do GILLIGAN'S ISLAND -- one of the most popular American sitcoms of all time. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Hans' big break was at the age of 31... and already an Oscar nomination (though in my humble opinion... not really deserved, he should get one a year later).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To say JW made up for it big-time in later years would be a massive understatement.
  3. Thor wrote
    Danny Elfman is 60 years old today! Hard to believe. Congrats to one of my favourite composers.

that's actually insane. Never would have thought it. Still congrats Danny. See you in a couple of months cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. My review of Elfman's score for EPIC, if anyone is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/06/12/epic-danny-elfman/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013
    This past February, Oscar-nominated composer Danny Elfman recorded his music for Epic, the latest CGI animated feature from Chris Wedge, director of Ice Age and Rio. Elfman's thematic orchestral score was performed with a 95-piece orchestra and 44-voice choir at 20th Century Fox's Newman scoring stage. ScoringSessions.com is excited to bring our readers photos from the sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/

This also marks the launch of the new version of our website.

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  5. It's already been announced elsewhere on the forum, but La La Land Records is releasing Danny Elfman's score to BLACK BEAUTY. This is GREAT news to me, since I had not heard of this score before it went out of print. I have since heard it and think it must me one of, if not the, greatest things Elfman ever composed. It's gorgeous! I'm a happy man smile

Here's the official press release:

BLACK BEAUTY EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION
    MUSIC BY DANNY ELFMAN
    LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS
    LLLCD 1273
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

REISSUE PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER
    REISSUE MASTERED BY JAMES NELSON
    LINER NOTES BY JEFF BOND
    ART DIRECTOR: DAN GOLDWASSER

La-La Land Records, Warner Bros and WEA are proud to announce the expanded edition to one of Danny Elfman's greatest scores BLACK BEAUTY, written and directed by Caroline Thompson. Lush, gorgeous, melodic and inspirational -- this magnificent score gets the deluxe treatment "La-La Land style" with an expanded program clocking in at nearly 79 minutes, tracks remastered by James Nelson, and a 24 page booklet with in depth liner notes by Jeff Bond, including comments by composer Danny Elfman and writer/director Caroline Thompson. This is our favorite non-Burton score of Elfman's! He taps into the soul of the characters that made his scores to Edward Scissorhands and Dolores Claiborne so memorable. A must for any Elfman or film music fan alike!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    I like this score A LOT! I'll give this serious consideration.
  6. One of Elfman's very best scores...probably his best non-Burton score come to think of it. Really glad to see it's being made available again. I've never seen the movie but for some reason it comes as a bit of a surprise that there's so much of it to expand! Maybe it's a lot of alternates and such... Oh well. We'll see. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    Yes, it's up there with SOMMERSBY for me.
  7. It's one of his best, his most magical, his most beautiful love
  8. The latest issue of EMPIRE (British film magazine) has a little article about Elfman and his scores. You know, they always have a little composer feature towards the back of the magazine.
    With the upcoming concerts, they focus on Elfman's best score with short commentaries by the composers. He notes that BATMAN still is the hardest score of his career, NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS still contains some his best compositions (totally agreed!) and ALICE IN WONDERLAND is a personal fave.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  9. Does anybody know when "Terminator: Salvation" was recorded?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Restless
    Music by Danny Elfman
    Limited Edition of 2000 Units

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 5

La-La Land Records and Sony Pictures Entertainment present the original motion picture score to the 2011 feature film drama restless, starring Mia Wasikowska and Henry Hopper and directed by Gus Van Sant. Renowned composer Danny Elfman (EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BATMAN, SOMMERSBY, BLACK BEAUTY) crafts another notable original score – a delicate, but stirring work, in the vein of his music for MILK and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, that expertly finds the heart and soul of Van Sant’s delightfully offbeat romantic drama. Produced by Danny Elfman and mastered by Patricia Sullivan at Bernie Grundman mastering, this special release is limited to 2000 units and includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer Tim Greiving which feature comments from director Gus Van Sant. The attractive art direction is by Dan Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

1. titles 2:41
    2. battleship 1:09
    3. reconciliation 1:26
    4. sorry for your loss 1:54
    5. waterbirds 1:43
    6. meet the parents 2:20
    7. on the beach 2:09
    8. hiroshima 1:06
    9. morning affair 1:33
    10. morgue 1:18
    11. crime scene 2:45
    12. death scene 2:06
    13. happy dead girl 1:11
    14. battleship 2 1:50
    15. a ghost 1:00
    16. the letter 1:34
    17. parents’ grave 1:49
    18. weepy donuts 3:31
    19. enoch’s goodbye 1:21

total album time: 34:25
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013
    Link to purchase? I couldn't find it on LLL's homepage.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    Link to purchase? I couldn't find it on LLL's homepage.

indeed, no link yet. I got this information from the mail.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013
    I'm presuming there's music on this CD not heard in the film. Would hope so anyway, or it'll make a wonderful treatment for insomnia.
    Seemed incredibly nondescript music at the time, to my ears. Though to be fair it was written for one of the very worst films of all time, I might add.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013
    Couldn't disagree more. This is the type of Elfman (and music in general) I prefer these days -- lovely, laidback, textural, intimate. I can't remember the movie very well, but I hope there's more music like the one we heard on the film's website upon release.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013 edited
    It's true, sometimes the CD can inspire a remarkable shift in opinion on some scores. Will wait to hear the verdict of others.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    Great news:

Danny Elfman will attend two concerts of the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, the 21st Centruy Chorus and the Boys Choir Lucerne - over 160 Musicians on one concert stage!

21st March 2014, 7.30 pm
    21st Century Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
    "Danny Elfman's Music from the films of Tim Burton"
    concert hall, KKL Luzern in Lucerne, Switzerland.

22nd March 2014, 7.30 pm
    21st Century Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Boys Choir Lucerne
    Disney in Concert - "Alice in Wonderland" (World premiere)
    Tim Burtons hit movie on big screen, accompagnied by 160 musicians perfoming Elfmans complete score live.
    concert hall, KKL Luzern in Lucerne, Switzerland.

23rd March 2014, 11
    21st Century Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Boys Choir Lucerne
    Disney in Concert - "Alice in Wonderland"
    Tim Burtons hit movie on big screen, accompagnied by 160 musicians perfoming Elfmans complete score live.
    concert hall, KKL Luzern in Lucerne, Switzerland

Interested in attending? Get your tickets here:

www.artproductions.ch

or here:
    http://www.kkl-luzern.ch/navigation/top … efault.htm

further information:
    www.21co.ch
    www.21cc.ch

See ya there!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014 edited
    GOOD WILL HUNTING (Expanded)
    Composed by Danny Elfman
    Including the songs written by Elliott Smith[/b]

Limited Collector's Edition of 1500 copies.
    45 minutes of music, including the complete score by Danny Elfman and the songs written by Elliott Smith used in the film.
    12-page CD booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.

Ref: MBR-043
    RELEASE DATE: March 3, 2014

Music Box Records presents the complete score for Good Will Hunting (1997) by Danny Elfman. Directed by Gus Van Sant based on a screenplay by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, the film tells the tale of the troubled title character (Damon) who is a janitor at MIT and is secretly a real mathematical genius. Reluctant to leave his regular life and job behind, Will needs help from psychologist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) who shows him the way of realizing his full potential without abandoning his roots…The film won two Oscars (one for Williams and one for the writers) while it was nominated for another seven statuettes, including one for composer Danny Elfman and one for songwriter Elliott Smith.

Danny Elfman is of course best known for his Tim Burton movies (ranging from the director’s two Batman films to more recent affairs like Alice in Wonderland), but the composer has numerous other directors with whom he works regularly. Good Will Hunting marked the second collaboration between Elfman and Gus Van Sant (the first one being the director’s bitingly satirical To Die For, 1995); the relationship later extended to other films like Psycho (1998), Milk (2008), Restless (2011) and Promised Land (2012). Their collaboration on Good Will Hunting proved to be the most elusive of the bunch even though it brought Elfman the first Oscar nomination in his career.

The music for Good Will Hunting is a far cry from the usual Gothic sound of the composer who proves himself to be more than capable when it comes to scoring a deeply personal story. The music features acoustic guitar, piano, a smaller ensemble of strings and woodwinds plus a light choral effect in addition to some Irish sounding whistles that address the Boston setting of the story. From the Main Title to the End Titles (previously known as "Weepy Donuts"), Elfman’s music is mingling among minimalistic thematic variations the same way the titular Will Hunting is looking for a purpose in life…

Spicing up the intimate orchestral score are the contributions of indie songwriter Elliott Smith, whose Miss Misery was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Original Song. The song gave major exposure to Smith who unfortunately passed away at the tragically young age of 34 in 2003.

Good Will Hunting has always been one of the great missing links in Elfman’s discography. The original soundtrack clearly favored the songs by Elliott Smith (and other artists) while Elfman’s work was represented with only two tracks. Although Miramax issued a rare Academy promo for members of the organization, that disc only contained selected highlights and Smith’s Oscar-nominated Miss Misery. Music Box Records presents the complete release of the score, including more Elfman music as what the promo contained, plus six compositions performed by Elliott Smith. The landmark release of this Oscar-nominated gem is supplemented with a 12-page booklet featuring expert commentary by Daniel Schweiger.

GOODWILL HUNTING

TRACKLISTING:

1. Main Title (02:44)
    2. Genie Mopper (00:37)
    3. First Calculation (01:08)
    4. Theorem (00:42)
    5. Kick Ass Choir (00:59)
    6. Mystery Math (02:28)
    7. Them Apples (not used in film) (00:57)
    8. Jail (01:13)
    9. Second Shrink (01:14)
    10. Any Port (01:25)
    11. Times Up (01:14)
    12. Oliver Twist (01:58)
    13. Staring Contest (00:49)
    14. Secret Weapon (00:57)
    15. Retainer (Part A) (00:58)
    16. Retainer (Part B) (00:20)
    17. Tell You Something (00:48)
    18. No Love Me (00:47)
    19. Fire Music (01:11)
    20. Whose Fault (02:34)
    21. End Titles (03:50)
    22. Between the Bars (Orchestral) (01:09)
    Performed by Elliott Smith – Orchestral arrangement by Danny Elfman
    23. No Name #3 (03:04)
    Performed by Elliott Smith
    24. Say Yes (02:15)
    25. Between the Bars (02:21)
    26. Angeles (02:55)
    27. Miss Misery (03:12)

Total Time • 44:53

For sound clips, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-c … l-hunting.
  12. Elfman's first-ever Oscar-nominated score finally gets a full release!
    Synchrotones' 2 cents on GOOD WILL HUNTING.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014 edited
    Courtesy of Facebook:

LA LA LAND RECORDS

For those that can't see, the releases are...

LAIR ( 2 CD set ) - John Debney
    THE UNKNOWN KNOWN - Danny Elfman
    DENNIS THE MENACE - Jerry Goldsmith
    THE STEPFORD WIVES - David Arnold
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014
    Definitely getting THE UNKNOWN KNOWN -- from the samples, it sounds sorta like STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, VOL. 2 (which is great, because I consider that one of the best scores of the 2000s).
    I am extremely serious.
  13. My review of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/02/17/fifty … ny-elfman/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015