• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. An FSM user just posted this information:

Marvel and Disney unveiled the one-sheet poster.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_ … ;oid=59571

Note that after Tyler's credit, there's this interesting tidbit: "Additional Music By Danny Elfman". Elfman wouldn't get credited if they just tracked in his music, would he?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. That's very interesting. He must be working on it a bit, huh?
  3. I've certainly never seen a credit for tracked in music, on a poster or trailer. This likely falls into one of two categories:

A: He provided additional music after Tyler left because Tyler either wasn't available or they were just flat-out replacing cues by him.

B: He was maybe the original composer on the film, but it was kept under wraps, and some is kept in in the end. I've actually seen this once or twice before on posters/trailers.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We can finally hear what we've all been waiting for: Tyler on the drums with plenty of Elfman choir 'la la la's' in the background.
  4. Southall wrote
    It's A.

Would you happen to know what orchestra and about how much he did?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2015 edited
    Yes, it's A. As dddeee says at MFADP:

Apparently at Denver last night Elfman couldn't stay because he was 'saving' a Summer movie. What could it be?

Fairly obvious it's the AVENGERS film, and that he's a last-minute 'fixer'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    It's A.

Philharmonia Orchestra. London.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    Thor wrote
    Yes, it's A. As dddeee says at MFADP:

Apparently at Denver last night Elfman couldn't stay because he was 'saving' a Summer movie. What could it be?

Fairly obvious it's the AVENGERS film, and that he's a last-minute 'fixer'.

"brought in to save the movie"

Has any film ever been saved by a change of score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not that I can think of.

But the producers certainly have had a tendency to think so now and then (like with LEGEND).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. It's one of the last things that can still be changed. In the grand scheme of things I'd have to say no, although it's a bit tricky to judge when you can't see the final cut of the movie with the old, rejected score.

You might say that axing the songs from Kingdom of the Sun/The Emperor's New Groove saved that movie, but that came along with a huge tonal shift to the movie itself, so it's not a purely musical change.
  6. Jim Ware wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    It's A.

Philharmonia Orchestra. London.

They did Tyler's. Elfman, too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    "brought in to save the movie"

Has any film ever been saved by a change of score?

They didn't necissarily mean an artistic save, it could also be to just meet the deadline if it has anything to do with Tyler's schedule and reshoots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Save the movie" implies the panic when people realise they've made a shite movie and so they (sometimes re-edit and) rescore it because they think that will help. That's not what happened here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be surprised if this movie turns out to be shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Exactly. You don't really have to read too far between the lines to work out what's happened, I don't think.
  7. I must be kind of dumb, because I'm not so sure of what's going on as you seem to be, James. I do have a really hard time believing this film is in trouble. The only thing I can figure (and maybe this is what you meant) is that Brian Tyler and Joss Whedon just didn't have the same vision for the film. I imagine that it's possible that even most of Tyler's score is going to be unused but that his name is still on the poster for contractual reasons. I just have a hard time imagining that, though, because Tyler's scores for Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 were quite good, with some nice themes I was hoping we would see again in Avengers 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    The film won't be in any kind of trouble. If they're replacing music it can only be because they don't like it. If it was just a re-editing job and Tyler didn't quite have time to do it, they'd get one of his assistants or orchestrators to do it, not hire Danny Elfman at great expense.
  8. Thanks to an FSM user, we have more information:

More speculation! Elfman alluded to recording a week ago and this is a Facebook post from Elfman's to-go-to music editor a week ago.

Shie Rozow
    7 March at 00:50 ·
    Just finished one of the most intense & quick projects of my entire career. I was music editing - about an hour of music composed, recorded, mixed, conformed to new pix and delivered in 24 grueling days! I think I've earned a nap

That's more than additional, that's nearly half the film.
  9. I'm not sure I like this at all. Wasn't the whole point of giving Tyler the job to finally keep up a certain scoring continuity? Even Jackman and Bates didn't deviate too far from what Tyler had established with Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and, especially, the new Marvel fanfare, which I was completely expecting to become the new Avengers theme. With Elfman, things go in another direction I'm not sure I'm too supportive of. His Spider-Man theme was great, yes, but I can't see how the Tyler and Elfman styles would fit. I really wonder what happened there and why so much stuff had to be rewritten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    I think it's very disappointing. As you say, Ralph, Elfman and Tyler sound nothing alike so for half the film to have music by one and half by the other is likely to sound rather jarring. I was not expecting any surprises in Tyler's score but I liked his previous ones for Marvel so was looking forward to it. Now I'm not sure what to think. Elfman incorporating Silvestri? Again - nothing alike.

I wonder why they didn't use Silvestri in the first place, really. Anyone know?
  10. Somebody somewhere (here?) claimed that Tyler was basically temped into most of Marvel Phase 1 films, which led them to hire him for more than one Phase Two film (Iron Man 3, then the collaboration went so well that he did Thor 2 which in turn led to Avengers 2, the final part of Phase Two).

It seems that Phase 3 will be at least partly scored by Jackman, as the next Captain America and Avengers films will be directed by the directors of The Winter Soldier. The Marvel producer (Kevin Feige) and the directors were in love with Jackman's work for the second Captain America.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Not that I'd want to open that can again, but... Jackman for Phase 3? punk

tongue

(But I'd still prefer to have a continuous approach.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Silvestri should have scored EVERYTHING from the beginning... starting with IRON MAN.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited
    Absolutely not! Silvestri should stay away from ALL big action and superhero movies and concentrate on more low-profile or indie fare, maybe a downtempo drama or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a great pity there hasn't been more consistency.

First choice: James Horner
    First choice from more realistic candidates: Alan Silvestri
    Last choice: Henry Jackman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Absolutely not! Silvestri should stay away from ALL big action and superhero movies and concentrate on more low-profile or indie fare, maybe a downtempo drama or something.

Fuck off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Whateeeeeeever....
    I am extremely serious.