• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    First choice: Hans Zimmer
    First choice from more realistic candidates: Henry Jackman
    Last choice: Ramin Djawadi and/or Gustavo Santaollala

People often lump Jackman and Djawadi into the same hated RC category but their music for films like this is night and day in terms of technical complexity, orchestral prowess and inventiveness. IMO at least.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    First choice: David Arnold
    Second choice: Ed Shearmur
    Third choice: John Powell

First choice from more realistic candidates: Alan Silvestri

Second from last choice: The guy who served me coffee at Starbucks today

Last choice: Henry Jackman
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    First choice: Dario Marianelli
    Second choice: Marco Beltrami
    Third choice: James Horner

Last choice: Ed Sheeran
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dario and Marvel? Yes please. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ed Sheeran biggrin

I forgot about Powell (because he is so reclusive these days) but he would be as good a choice as Zimmer IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Regarding the new AVENGERS movie -- I don't think I've been more indifferent to a film and score in my life. Not even Elfman's involvement helps.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shut up, Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited
    In fact, not even Steven's remarks help.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    Regarding the new AVENGERS movie -- I don't think I've been more indifferent to a film and score in my life. Not even Elfman's involvement helps.

What do you like? Every thread I've been in today has had you incessantly whining about why something or someone is a bad choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I on the other hand expect it to potentially be one of the most exciting cinematic experience of my life. Because Whedon. And this is the first time he's been given (mostly) free reign on a big budget project; Avengers he was required to stick to the story outline and script concepts that were already created before he was brought on board. I know his writing is not for everyone but it's definitely for me...I love nearly everything he's ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote

What do you like?

He likes Pain and Gain.
  1. Maybe he also likes to gain pain?

Cheap one but I couldn't resist.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote

What do you like?

He likes Pain and Gain.

PAIN & GAIN rules!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    I couldn't ever get into that one despite being a Jablonsky fan, but I do really share Thor's appreciation for recent electronic works like Borderlands The Presequel and Chappie, the former of which I would never have even tried without his praise of it, so I like his non-standard tastes smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    What do you like? Every thread I've been in today has had you incessantly whining about why something or someone is a bad choice.

biggrin

I just had the same feeling! What's wrong Thor? uhm
    Kazoo
  2. I've been in love with Silvestri's scores since I've watched Back to the Future in theatres back then, but I think his last really great action/adventure score was The Mummy Returns.

Having Elfman take a Silvestri theme and work with it sounds interesting as an experiment, and I'm kind of glad that we get the first Avengers theme again, continuity-wise, and probably Tyler's new theme based on his previous MCU work. But somehow I can't imagine Tyler failing to work with Silvestri's theme as a reminiscence, which was his plan, but obviously something didn't work out there.
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    The Marvel producer (Kevin Feige) and the directors were in love with Jackman's work for the second Captain America.

face-palm-mt suicide
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Marvel producer (Kevin Feige) and the directors were in love with Jackman's work for the second Captain America.

face-palm-mt suicide

It's okay, I'll enjoy it enough for both of us smile
  4. [b]Elfman[/.b] has been moved from "Additional Music by" to sharing credit with Tyler, according to this new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjNFXLu1ljM

There's still time to finish dumping all of Tyler's score and have Elfman come in and do pick-ups.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015
    Very disappointing to learn (via MFADP) that the only truly worthwhile track on FIFTY SHADES -- the choral cue "Bliss" -- isn't written by Elfman at all, but rather David Buckley:

http://davidbuckleymusic.net/?page_id=29#

(scroll down a bit)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Disappointing? More like, re-affirming my feelings about Elfman, to me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think that happens all the time. Quite unusual for a ghostwriter to be so public about it, I'd have thought.
  5. Nothing very shocking, in case of RCP scores the composers are allowed to post their cues on their sites. I know that Lorne Balfe did quite a bit of that... other RCP composers as well.

It has to be noted that David Buckley is/was a Harry Gregson-Williams protege originally.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015
    I'm realllllly curious to hear Age of Ultron in the film and try to figure out what the hell is going on with the score, considering that Elfman is now getting full credit along side Tyler on the latest posters and the final trailers. It's a bit worrying as it hints at a creative rift somewhere in the production team. I can't remember the last time a major blockbuster had a situation like this happen. I guess it's better than completely replacing a score but if they don't do it right, the clash of styles could be worse than any alternative. Just wish we knew more about why Elfman was called in to rewrite and/or add new music. Was Tyler's score too generic? I would honestly be surprised if they decided that after Tyler's previous entries which were incredibly generic for the most part, albeit deeply competent. And even the original Avengers score was shockingly generic for being the biggest hit of the decade thus far.

Maybe that's it, though. Maybe Tyler's score was too modern, RC-influenced and lacking the classical feel of Silvestri's music. Maybe they are afraid of too big of a tonal variation between the original Avengers and this new one. I guess we'll find out when the film comes out, unless some new info surfaces in the meantime.
  6. Hmm, did anyone delve into the history of Last of the Mohicans? I just wonder if there wasn't a moment when Jones would appear alone on posters and/or trailers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015
    If the interviews are to be believed, that one was a case of Jones writing music for the parts of the film he thought needed music, and Edelman being brought in to score the parts Jones didn't think needed scoring, wasn't it?
  7. What I mean is that if there was a while in the process where the film promotion featured only Jones as a credited composer before Edelman joined.

The situation here is quite odd, of course, as it was Tyler, then Tyler, Elfman additional and suddenly what we have now is totally different.
  8. My review of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/05/05/aveng … ny-elfman/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015