• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know mate, just stressing it out again shame

Time to play some soothing Delerue, Barry, Desplat and the like while lead out on some comfy de-stressing cusions cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    I noticed that the IMDB indicates that Elfman recorded his score to Milk in London with the usual suspects (Rick Wentworth and Dakota Music Services). I guess the budget wasn't big enough to allow for a studio orchestra, then.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Nightmare Revisited OST

With remixed songs from the original movie soundtrack (THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS), by bands like Jonathan Davis (KORN), Marilyn Manson, Flyleaf, Amy Lee (Evanescence) among others.

cd cover:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HNM3FXp19Pw/S … 8f8f9b.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nightmare Revisited OST

With remixed songs from the original movie soundtrack (THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS), by bands like Jonathan Davis (KORN), Marilyn Manson, Flyleaf, Amy Lee (Evanescence) among others.

cd cover:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HNM3FXp19Pw/S … 8f8f9b.jpg

Betcha can't wait eh D !? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Remixed songs!? Ouch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pfff, yeah i already shat my pants in anticipation!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Crap! I already bought the remastered 2CD NIGHTMARE a few months ago, which had lots of remixes and cover versions of the songs on the second disc, and now they release YET ANOTHER?!? What is a poor completist with limited resources to do? confused
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Pfff, yeah i already shat my pants in anticipation!

lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Mon review de WANTED (not written in bad French):

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/wantedcd.htm

biggrin
  3. And my review of HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY, for anyone interested:

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/hellboy2cd.htm
  4. I agree with you Jon about Elfman's current purple patch. What a year!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    I don't think it has been mentioned here, and it's not much of a surprise - but anyway:

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … rland.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    I don't think it has been mentioned here, and it's not much of a surprise - but anyway:

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … rland.html

mc

Interesting wink biggrin Thanks for the info!
  5. Yeah, his twist on the story may be VERY interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    Hmmmm...not much of an inspirational or creative stretch for either there, I fear.
    I'll keep my hopes up, but my expectations low.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008 edited
    ALICE IN BLEEDIN' WONDERLAND....oH GAWD!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    It's gonna be GOOD! Can't wait.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Tim (Burton, not mer), we need another ED WOOD. Pronto. Make a film about the inventor, Tesla, and his rivalry with Edison.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. It was an important part of The Prestige, isn't that enough? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Tim (Burton, not mer), we need another ED WOOD. Pronto. Make a film about the inventor, Tesla, and his rivalry with Edison.

ED WOOD is his best film IMO.

Burton's dark fantasy shit has become old quick....time to move on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008 edited
    This issue was probably discussed over the last 7 pages but I ain't reading through all that.

But I want to know, who here prefers Batman Returns to Batman? I've always believed the 2nd one outshone the 1st by a matter of leagues and miles. While Batman easily fits in my top 300 or 400 best scores (NOT a meek accomplishment considering the size of my collection), Batman Returns fits in my top 30. Put simply, I think it's his best score. There's THAT much of a difference, IMO.

But I know I've always been one of the only ones to think that. Anyone else?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    This issue was probably discussed over the last 7 pages but I ain't reading through all that.

But I want to know, who here prefers Batman Returns to Batman? I've always believed the 2nd one outshone the 1st by a matter of leagues and miles. While Batman easily fits in my top 300 or 400 best scores (NOT a meek accomplishment considering the size of my collection), Batman Returns fits in my top 30. Put simply, I think it's his best score. There's THAT much of a difference, IMO.

No, sorry, can't say that I do.

BATMAN RETURNS is a fantastic score, but BATMAN is a CLASSIC, a cornerstone not only in Elfman's career, but the entire film music history.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I agree that Batman is a cornerstone, but mostly because it came first. I still maintain that musically, Batman Returns is more enjoyable. It has everything the first one has, just more themes, more structure, more lyrical beauty, a bit less chaos. And less "Beautiful Dreamer", which is pretty, but not an Elfman original.

Kinda like Empire Strikes Back vs. A New Hope. No one argues that A New Hope is a classic and true cornerstone of film music history, and yet just about everyone agrees that Empire is more enjoyable.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I'm not sure how many of you folks check news aggregators like Reddit, but it was cool to see this clip within the top 20 links earlier today-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRd1a5MVMw
    Isn't that Elfman at 1:28? He looks a lot like Johnny Depp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    I agree that Batman is a cornerstone, but mostly because it came first. I still maintain that musically, Batman Returns is more enjoyable. It has everything the first one has, just more themes, more structure, more lyrical beauty, a bit less chaos. And less "Beautiful Dreamer", which is pretty, but not an Elfman original.

Kinda like Empire Strikes Back vs. A New Hope. No one argues that A New Hope is a classic and true cornerstone of film music history, and yet just about everyone agrees that Empire is more enjoyable.

BATMAN RETURNS is a whole other beast. It has that melancholic twist to it (Penguin and Catwoman's themes) and less of the bombast of the first film (although still enough, mind you!). If you're asking me for pure ENJOYMENT, I might like RETURNS as much as BATMAN, but the first score was the truly INNOVATIVE score that will stand the test of time in its own league. It also has more pronounced versions of the main theme and overall "purified" gothic mood, which is a bit different than the sequel.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    I'm not sure how many of you folks check news aggregators like Reddit, but it was cool to see this clip within the top 20 links earlier today-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRd1a5MVMw
    Isn't that Elfman at 1:28? He looks a lot like Johnny Depp.

He, he...that's a classic clip and performance.

No, that's not Danny at 1:28. Danny is one of the guys with the purple pants in the background, playing the trombone. He stands next to the host (on the right) from 3:21 and onwards. By the way, the "rocket man" is Danny's brother and founder of the band, Richard Elfman.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HeeroJF wrote

I'm with ya.
    In fact, while I own Batman, I've played it only once or twice while Batman Returns gets regular playtime. It's richer, more diverse, more clever than the first one while retaining all that was good about it. (It helps I guess that I think the film's the cat pijamas as well, and an improvement on the first on every level).

And of course I enjoy the music of Star Wars over The Empire Strikes Back, so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to offer an opinion (I like Return Of The Jedi even better!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

I'm with ya.
    In fact, while I own Batman, I've played it only once or twice while Batman Returns gets regular playtime. It's richer, more diverse, more clever than the first one while retaining all that was good about it. (It helps I guess that I think the film's the cat pijamas as well, and an improvement on the first on every level).

And of course I enjoy the music of Star Wars over The Empire Strikes Back, so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to offer an opinion (I like Return Of The Jedi even better!)

Of course you're qualified! You d' Star Wars man.

Bats 2 is only worth it for Michelle Ppphiffiver wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008
    Christopher Walken: "Unlimited poontang."

Bats 2 is worth it for THAT line, too!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeepic! shocked shocked shocked shocked