• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Hey, why no thread about one of my favourite composers? (and Demetris' too, obviously! wink)

Many interesting things to look forward to, such as WANTED (whatever that is), the HELLBOY sequel, the documentary he's doing with Errol Morris and some other stuff.

Oh, and my favourites? The Holy Trinity of BATMAN, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    It seems that there are not so many Elfman fans aroud here. Anyway my favorite score by him is without a doubt Red Dragon. One of the best Main Titles ever!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Hey, why no thread about one of my favourite composers? (and Demetris' too, obviously! wink)

Many interesting things to look forward to, such as WANTED (whatever that is), the HELLBOY sequel, the documentary he's doing with Errol Morris and some other stuff.

Oh, and my favourites? The Holy Trinity of BATMAN, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

We were waiting for YOU to start it Thor cheesy wink

I think Christian is right that there are not too many Elfman fans on this board.....but there's still enough for you.

Having said that, almost everyone has something of his that they like?

Sommersby is in my top 50 scores of all time.....not bad for someone who dislikes the majority of his output?! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    oooh I like Danny Elfman!!
    Doesn"t everybody?

favourite scores: Nightmare before Christmas (of course!), Black Beauty (that main theme!), and I also kinda like the dark theme from "Sleepy Hollow"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Thor wrote

You've shattered by world! Beltrami isn't doing the score for the second film? Hasn't he done all of Del Toro's English movies?

I'm sure Elfman's will be fine, but I was really excited to hear what Beltrami would cook up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007 edited
    Cristian wrote
    It seems that there are not so many Elfman fans aroud here. Anyway my favorite score by him is without a doubt Red Dragon. One of the best Main Titles ever!! punk

Sure, the Main Titles is fun, but doesn't the complete lack of creepyness / mood / suspense / emotion bother you? Red Dragon doesn't do anything for me and just isn't a Hannibal Lecter score confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote

Couldn't agree more! Those opening titles are SO addictive!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorLéon
    Thor wrote

The new documentary by Errol Morris? Where did you get that information. Philip Glass should do it! He has done most of them with wonderful results (The Fog of War was great).

I like Elfman very much, but I don't think he should be doing this kind of project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    I like Elfman very much, but I don't think he should be doing this kind of project.

Why not? I would say it's a very interesting new direction for him, and I'm excited about what he'll come up with.

Yeah, most of Glass' Morris-scores have been effective, such as THE THIN BLUE LINE or whatever it's called, but a new voice doesn't hurt (Morris HAS used other composers than Glass, after all).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. BobdH wrote
    Cristian wrote

Sure, the Main Titles is fun, but doesn't the complete lack of creepyness / mood / suspense / emotion bother you? Red Dragon doesn't do anything for me and just isn't a Hannibal Lecter score confused

I agree that Elfman's theme for Red Dragon is a great title theme. But I'm not sure how it relates to what's about to unfold on-screen. Rather than setting the mood of the upcoming film, I'd see his ferocious theme as being more of a way of punctuating the audience to think that our normal life is on hold for a couple of hours and that's about to begin is a movie!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting. As i found it evil and ferocious, raw and ominous, as the rest of the very good score indeed and the movie itself smile
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    David wrote
    Thor wrote

You've shattered by world! Beltrami isn't doing the score for the second film? Hasn't he done all of Del Toro's English movies?

I'm sure Elfman's will be fine, but I was really excited to hear what Beltrami would cook up.

Yes, I was pretty disappointed when I read this too! But oh well. It's always interesting to hear a new Elfman score, although he's always hit-or-miss with me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Cristian wrote

I found the latter half of the film hideously over-scored.

Not that it really matters because Red Dragon was piss poor as was the hugely overrated Manhunter....neither film takes up some interesting character psychology from the book.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorLéon
    Thor wrote

Why not? I would say it's a very interesting new direction for him, and I'm excited about what he'll come up with.

Yeah, most of Glass' Morris-scores have been effective, such as THE THIN BLUE LINE or whatever it's called, but a new voice doesn't hurt (Morris HAS used other composers than Glass, after all).

Yeah, offcourse it's interesting to see what he'll come up with. It's always nice to see composers doing something entirely new and not being typecast, but then again: Elfman doing a Morris-score? Well, let's just wait and see... He has surprised me before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    I've brought with me THE KINGDOM on my Christmas holiday, and this is really an AMAZING piece of work. His best since CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, IMO. That post-rock vibe, those cool percussive effects (reminiscent of PLANET OF THE APES, one of Elfman's best in the 2000's). What's not to like? Totally different and at the same time a testament to how tuned-in Elfman is to contemporary rock and pop (no doubt due to his background).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I like most of his themes, but then he loses me with the rest of it. I was totally surprised by Black Beauty though, which I consider his most beautiful theme ever. Not the best (that is Planet of the Apes for me), but the nicest. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Yeah, BLACK BEAUTY is a favourite among those who are not too hot on Elfman's style. I guess it's kinda untypical of him (although he's very versatile, so it should come as no surprise). Timmer likes it too, and he's certainly no Elfman fan.

I'm impressed that you have POTA as your favourite, though. Something other than BATMAN, EDWARD and NMBC, for sure. I like it too...I think it's one of Elfman's VERY best post-2000 scores, and I love how he revisited some of that terrain for THE KINGDOM earlier this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Yep! Black Beauty, second only to Sommersby for me personally cool

I like the main titles for Planet Of The Apes and have played that one quite often, I just don't like the rest of it.
  3. Thor wrote
    I'm impressed that you have POTA as your favourite, though. Something other than BATMAN, EDWARD and NMBC, for sure.

It just blew me away when Iheard it first, in theatres. I had absolutely no hopes for that movie, but the Main Title got me pumped up in a way I hadn´t experienced for a long time. Too sad the movie was crap, but after those Main Titles, I was so willing to give it a shot. So I think PotA is a hell of a theme. But I think I gave the rest of the score not more than one listen.
  4. For me, Mission Impossible and Sommersby were among his finest hours.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Oh, Planet of the Apes is something special for sure. I love how Elfman really nailed the 'ape' sound in that theme, it fits the movie perfectly. For me, it's certainly a score with highlights and uninteresting parts, so neither do I ever make it to the final remix in a single listen. But don't you also love Ape Suite #2? Probably one of the most exhilerating cues Elfman ever composed (along with that Batman stuff)!
  5. Planet of the Apes is very good. I don't listen to that one often enough. I also think Big Fish is worth more than people give it credit for.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    For me, Mission Impossible and Sommersby were among his finest hours.

Sommersby? punk cool

Mission Impossible? ummmm...errrr...NAH! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Anyone like finale from The Kingdom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Like? The Kingdom? In the same sentence together?

HA!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    bartley wrote

That's the ONLY thing that works for me in that score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    bartley wrote

YES!! In fact, I like the whole album! It's his best since CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    Thor wrote
    bartley wrote

YES!! In fact, I like the whole album! It's his best since CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!!

Oh, since he only did Meet The Robinsons, Charlotte's Web and Nacho Libre ever since Charlie, I'm not gonna argue wink
  6. Didn't he actually score Corpse Bride after Charlie? The release was definitely later.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    Yup, CORPSE BRIDE was released later. And yes, I'm aware it hasn't been that long since CHARLIE, but he's been on such a creative roll lately, that it's difficult to shrug off one gem before another arrives. I'm not too fond of the period between MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and PLANET OF THE APES, but from that score and onwards, the good stuff has been pouring out! Maybe it's Bridget's "fault"...or the birth of his new son Oliver...or whatever. Either way, it's great. What's even more amazing than the time period, though, is if you juxtapose something like CORPSE BRIDE - molded on his old style - with something like THE KINGDOM, which is SO in synch with contemporary post-rock. The versatility in that is something to behold, even if you're not a big Elfman fan.

Oh well, enough Elfman gushing for today! smile
    I am extremely serious.