• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    An "extended edition" of this film has been announced for a Blu-Ray release this summer. Anyone know anything about this new version? Franz? The "unextended edition" is beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Really? You could perfectly see where and when they edited the theatrical version, so that´s very good news!

I´d also love an extended version of The Thin Red Line, a film I don´t want it to end every time I watch it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. There are 3 versions of the film, all available on DVD or for download:

- The theatrical edition - which of the two I've seen is my preference
    - The original theatrical edition - this is about 20 minutes longer than the theatrical edition - I'm told this is the best of the three, but that's mostly by people who saw it first. I'm keen to download it and try it out for myself.
    - Extended edition - which has about 40 minutes more or so than the theatrical edition. Some of the additions are good, but there are some moments which feel a bit indulgent. Lots of very small beats have been added throughout, as well as whole sequences. I am so glad New Line remained true to their word on this one.

Oh, and Marselus, some of the most abrupt edits from the theatrical edition are there, intact, in the extended edition. That's Malick's cutting style really. Everything is collapsed from many takes with many alterations on the essential dialogue of the scene. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Oh, and Marselus, some of the most abrupt edits from the theatrical edition are there, intact, in the extended edition. That's Malick's cutting style really. Everything is collapsed from many takes with many alterations on the essential dialogue of the scene. smile

Wow, I really thought there were missing parts (minutes, whole sequences) in those edits. Anyway I´ll check out the Extended Edition if it comes out. Thx for the info Michael!

I wonder why they never released an extended edition of The Thin Red Line though. I heard the film was like twice the lenght of the theatrical release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll check the new version out too;

Sometime.

When i'll start suffering from severe insomnia. tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Wow, I really thought there were missing parts (minutes, whole sequences) in those edits. Anyway I´ll check out the Extended Edition if it comes out. Thx for the info Michael!

Some of them are different in the extended edit. But it is a style choice.

I wonder why they never released an extended edition of The Thin Red Line though. I heard the film was like twice the lenght of the theatrical release.

Different studio. I think Murdoch was so incensed with the outcome of the whole TRL thing for Newscorp's balance sheet that most people who'd had anything to do with the approval of the film were looking for new jobs. Chances that the studio would devote additional resources to preserve an earlier edit were sadly slim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Different studio. I think Murdoch was so incensed with the outcome of the whole TRL thing for Newscorp's balance sheet that most people who'd had anything to do with the approval of the film were looking for new jobs.

Question is: did they think, for a second, that Malick was going to make a standard war film? If the answer is "yes", well, they were as naive as a child; if the answer is "no", then why did they give green light to the project?

franz_conrad wrote
    Chances that the studio would devote additional resources to preserve an earlier edit were sadly slim.

Too bad; understandable, but sad. IMO The Thin Red Line is one of the best films ever. If a film deserves an expanded / special release, that is TTRL sad

Too bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009 edited
    To start with Thin Red Line; there won't be a different edit coming out. There's a lot of rumors abound of the film, being originally 6 hours and all, but that really wasn't a proper cut and was never meant to be a final film by Malick. Any version that's made prior to the theatrical version isn't structured in any coherent form, but essentially an assemblage of footage. I've found it all explained once on the internet in a thorough article; I can post it if you like.

A very interesting part of that article is something about the score:

Now, on a deadline for Christmas 1996, Malick with some assistance by Sean Penn, begin to edit TTRL even more. Zimmer's score becomes almost unidentifiable (Zimmer composed 12 hours worth of original score and recorded six hours according to Jeff Rona, an associate of Zimmer who is also credited on TTRL as supplying the film with "visceral ambience"). Zimmer states that when people say TTRL is his best score ever, he remarks that they haven't even truly heard his score.

About The New World; I would recommend it (the 3 hour cut) if you're a fan of the theatrical cut, but I had to say it gave me mixed reactions. I expected it to be even more of an ethereal experience, expanding on the poetic shots and revelling in the beauty of nature. However, it seems to have a different aesthetic, sometimes killing the original mood the film had.

For me, the extended cut seems to focus more on the historical aspect, amongst others in the inclusion of title cards, giving the story more of an arch of when everything took place. Some parts flow a lot better story wise, especially the much improved third and final act. Also, just the fact that the film is so long, gives it a different - more epic - feeling.

By the way, franz; did I notice rightly they removed a Vorspiel vor das Rheingold? In the expanded cut, it only appears twice (during the opening and ending), while I thought it also appeared in between in the theatrical cut. I think the deletion of a version is a good thing, even though this cut seems to rely more of the Horner score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    To start with Thin Red Line; there won't be a different edit coming out. There's a lot of rumors abound of the film, being originally 6 hours and all, but that really wasn't a proper cut and was never meant to be a final film. I've found it all explained once on the internet in a thorough article; I can look it up if you like.

I´d appreciate that Bob, thanks!

BobdH wrote
    About The New World; I would recommend it if you're a fan of the theatrical cut, but I had to say it gave me mixed reactions. I expected it to be even more of an ethereal experience, expanding on the poetic shots and revelling in the beauty of nature. However, it seems to have a different aesthetic, sometimes killing the original mood the film had.

For me, the extended cut seems to focus more on the historical aspect, amongst others in the inclusion of title cards, giving the story more of an arch of when everything took place. Some parts flow a lot better story wise, especially the much improved third and final act. Also, just the fact that the film is so long, gives it a different - more epic - feeling.

By the way, franz; did I notice rightly they removed a Vorspiel vor das Rheingold? In the expanded cut, it only appears twice (during the opening and ending), while I thought it also appeared in between in the theatrical cut. I think the deletion of a version is a good thing, even though this cut seems to rely more of the Horner score.

Definitely checking it out as soon as I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Okay, here we go then (it's big wink ):

Leslie Jones and co. were hired by 20th Century Fox and Terrence Malick to create an edited cut based on the original adapted script of TTRL, they cut from six hours to five. Their assembled cut,much of it with unedited combat footage, was a a cut that they were "happy" with because they had done their job. They felt this cut, even at this stage, was still "powerful."

"Because of Malick's unique working style, the editors were faced with an unusual set of challenges. Much of the film was unscripted. At times three units were shooting at different locations around Australia and, though he was concerned about what was being captured, the director did not screen the dailies. Leslie started the picture without Billy, who came on after principle photography wrapped. She met Malick only once prior to the shoot, briefly in L.A., and though she was on location for five months, Leslie rarely saw him during production. "Terry and I rarely talked about the film," she commented. "He left me to my own devices. Eventually I came back with a five-hour first cut."

"Even that five-hour version was very powerful, and you could see it was a very moving story back then," Billy added."

However, it was decidedly linear, contained lots of scripted dialogue. This cut contained Rourke, Viggo, Bill Pullman, etc. still in that existing footage. This five hour version was a version that played close to the traditional arc of Malick's original script. This also would have been the version that was faithful to the original novel. When you find the version of the screenplay floating aroudn the internet, it is more or less this cut of the film. Just throw in extended combat sequences, take away the Witt gone AWOL scene at the beginning and there you have it . . .

Meanwhile, Hans Zimmer had submitted his score for a six-hr cut; he cut some, added more cues to abide to that five-hour cut knowing full well that it would be eventually edited further per Malick's guidelines. The film remained constantly in flux thus frustrating Zimmer who still forged ahead shaping his musical vision with contributions from John Powell, Francesco Lupica and Jeff Rona (among others). This, the frequent changes in the film's construct, is what Zimmer talks about in all of his interviews about composing for TTRL. To his credit, Zimmer could hang with Malick's way of doing things, Horner could not.

Then the film becomes four hours; this is the work of Malick with the input of Leslie Jones and Billy Weber:

"The editing team spent 13 months in post, and the mix lasted four months. There were no previews, but there were several in-house screenings; the largest of which, attended by 15 people, was for marketing executives. Malick had final cut. Although the editors said he had specific ideas he wanted to try, the director was also willing to explore and experiment with the material. His creative process demanded time and patience, and though occasionally frustrating, was often rewarding as well.

"In working with the footage, the editors found the blend of seasoned and less-experienced actors to be a particular challenge. The many cameos were another difficult element, as were the film's voice-overs, which were not initially in the script. Making room for them was tricky, and most were recorded directly into the Avid. Some of that scratch track remained in the final film, according to Billy. "Terry is not really fond of dialogue, and shoots takes with and without it," he said. Leslie added, "Terry lost dialogue wherever possible. The final film varied greatly from the original concept."

"The team used four Avids (at one point a fifth was added). They were linked via a fibre-channel network, allowing multiple editors to work on the same sequences simultaneously. In addition to the three editors, the crew included an Avid assistant, a first assistant who was also credited as associate editor, and two film assistants. Occasionally, additional help was brought in to conform. "All things considered," commented Leslie, "it was not that big of a crew.""

According to both editors, Malick enjoyed the technological advances overall, like the camera cranes used for the shoot, but was less enamored with the Avid. The editors, however, thought the Avid enabled them to cope with the wealth of incredible footage from cinematographer John Toll. "If we had cut on film," said Billy, "we would still be editing today."

At the four-hour stage, we have Billy Bob Thornton's voiceover, lots of philosophical/spiritual invocations. Many of the leading actors start to disappear. The Malickian vision is being honed. More second-unit footage from the Solomon islands is being used. Over the ensuing months, Malick edits the film to Zimmer's score instead of the other way around which is traditionally done. If there is a version to petition for, this would be it, not the five hr. cut.

Malick then starts to discard key plot trajectories (like Adrien Brody), basic subplots rise in its place (Witt for example), much of the dialogue is dispensed and he starts to insert even more second unit footage and a huge change in the voice-overs. This time he gets rid of Billy Bob's work and, wanting to abide by the notion of "maybe man has one big soul that everybody's a part of," a nod to John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. He records several actors, most sounding alike, to do the unscripted voice-overs.

Now, on a deadline for Christmas 1996, Malick with some assistance by Sean Penn, begin to edit TTRL even more. Zimmer's score becomes almost unidentifiable (Zimmer composed 12 hours worth of original score and recorded six hours according to Jeff Rona, an associate of Zimmer who is also credited on TTRL as supplying the film with "visceral ambience"). Zimmer states that when people say TTRL is his best score ever, he remarks that they haven't even truly heard his score. It becomes layered with Kodo drums, the drone of Francesco's cosmic beam and Rona's "visceral ambience," cues fade out and blend with Faure's "In Paradisum" and Charles Ives' "The Unanswered Question" as well as other really obscure works (like the noise texture sound wall of 'The Prophecy from the Village Kremnus" and "Annum per Annum" and the infamous Melanesian chants).

TTRL is eventually reduced to the cut we have with us today. It is Malick's cut, and probably in Malick's view, a harried, hurried cut because he would have taken even longer.

It will probably be the only cut . . . When people want the 5 hr. cut, they would be getting a decidedly un-Malickian film, one with plenty albeit of battle footage etc. Becuse it isn't intended to be a "war" film, it will never be shown. It is less of the final vision that Malick saw fit to fully realize. Adding to it now would take away from that final mix of score, footage and voiceover that he so painstakingly created. My feeling is that if Malick was ever to revisit TTRL, he would be taken away more dialogue and adding more second unit footage. Or it would be closer to the four-hr. footage . . . I wonder where all that discarded film is right now?
  3. BobdH wrote

Actually, I hate to contradict you Bob, but I think it might be there more Wagner than before, technically speaking! wink I'd have to check appear, but from the one viewing I had, it seemed the three basic appearances from the theatrical edit - the opening, the finale, and the beginning of the Pocahontas/Smith love affair - are there. There's also a different version of the Vorspiel theme from later in the Ring Cycle that appears during a new sequence after Pocahontas is exiled from her people. I felt the added sequence was unecessary in that case.

But you're right - there is more Horner score in the longer version. I wonder if the cues are where they were meant to be?

Some of the things the extended edition does do well - there's some very brief additions to scenes that give more context for what's happening, and it's not always a bad thing thing. Some of the lead-up to the battle makes that whole sequence more clear.

One change I didn't like was the way the sequence of Smith's trade with the Indian (who wants a kettle) was re-edited. In the theatrical edit, the editing suggests that while Smith is listening to the man, he's actually thinking of being with Pocahontas. In the extended edit, the cutting makes it feel like we are seeing a real scene of them together. The effect is less compelling I think.

I would like to see the original theatrical edit, as I'm told it was the best of the three. It lacks the titlecards (which I don't think were altogether bad), and does have some material that wasn't in either of the other two edits.

With THIN RED LINE, I've read the original script, and there's a LOT of subplots and scenes that didn't end up in the final film. I suspect the full version would be a less dreamlike experience - less centred on Witt's perspective- and I probably wouldn't favour it for that reason. But I would love to see it, and see how Adrien Brody brough Fife to life.
  4. Oh - fascinating article Bob. I haven't read that one before!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    Actually, I hate to contradict you Bob, but I think it might be there more Wagner than before, technically speaking! wink I'd have to check appear, but from the one viewing I had, it seemed the three basic appearances from the theatrical edit - the opening, the finale, and the beginning of the Pocahontas/Smith love affair - are there. There's also a different version of the Vorspiel theme from later in the Ring Cycle that appears during a new sequence after Pocahontas is exiled from her people. I felt the added sequence was unecessary in that case.

Hmm... I really need to re-watch it. Only saw it once, now, that 3 hour version, and soon will be watching again with a friend, who also was a fan of the theatrical version. I'm also very much looking forward to seeing the original theatrical one - it seems that must be the best of both films, the 'middle ground', so to speak.

franz_conrad wrote
    But you're right - there is more Horner score in the longer version. I wonder if the cues are where they were meant to be?

I'm not sure Horner wrote a score that was meant to be in any specific scene? Since he was writing music for the concept and script of the film, which was in a heavy editing process, I guess Horner didn't really have any footage to work with. He was meant to write the music, which then later would be applied to the film by Malick where he would see fit.

franz_conrad wrote
    Some of the things the extended edition does do well - there's some very brief additions to scenes that give more context for what's happening, and it's not always a bad thing thing. Some of the lead-up to the battle makes that whole sequence more clear.

One change I didn't like was the way the sequence of Smith's trade with the Indian (who wants a kettle) was re-edited. In the theatrical edit, the editing suggests that while Smith is listening to the man, he's actually thinking of being with Pocahontas. In the extended edit, the cutting makes it feel like we are seeing a real scene of them together. The effect is less compelling I think.

Agree: those are the best moments, as opposed to the really new scenes. And, yes, I found that pretty awkward as well... This cut is more straightforward, in many ways, again, diminishing the original effect of the theatrical cut.
  5. However, for fans of A NEW WORLD, I'd say the extended edit is worth watching. A rare case of seeing a stop along the road in an impressive film's development. (We see very few cases of this - the BLADE RUNNER workprint being another.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    However, for fans of A NEW WORLD, I'd say the extended edit is worth watching. A rare case of seeing a stop along the road in an impressive film's development. (We see very few cases of this - the BLADE RUNNER workprint being another.)

Or perhaps the 3 versions of Oliver Stone's Alexander wink. Though not that 'impressive', I did find it very interesting how he kept playing with his film, moving scenes from the beginning to ending of the film, each arrangement giving that scene a different tone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009 edited
    Wow, thanks Bob, very, very interesting. So there was never a 6 or 5 hours final cut that was edited later for obviouos commercial reasons but a 4 hour final cut that Malick edited to fit his final vision of the story. I agree though that the 4 hour cut would be really interesting.
  6. BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    However, for fans of A NEW WORLD, I'd say the extended edit is worth watching. A rare case of seeing a stop along the road in an impressive film's development. (We see very few cases of this - the BLADE RUNNER workprint being another.)

Or perhaps the 3 versions of Oliver Stone's Alexander wink. Though not that 'impressive', I did find it very interesting how he kept playing with his film, moving scenes from the beginning to ending of the film, each arrangement giving that scene a different tone.

I must admit I've yet to see any version of that film (a few minutes on TV scared me off!), but it has interested me.

Another interesting case is an Australian film called TILL HUMAN VOICES WAKE US (Guy Pearce, Helena Bonham-Carter). It exists in two versions - the Australian edit (original script edit, linear story), and the international edit (first half of the film told via flashbacks from the second half). The story changed enough that the film needed a new score altogether. The reason for the re-edit was to get the stars of the film onscreen earlier, as they only appear from the 35 minute mark or so in the original edit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting how your talk about such a film as THE NEW WORLD, is equally long and boring tongue
  7. Begone, mischievous Greek. Don't ask for more meaningful filmmaking, and then decry one of the few genuine cases of it. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd rather take the one real apex of his career my friend, that is THE THIN RED LINE. The brave new world has some notable elements of quality in it, but in the long picture it lacks in comparison smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Interesting; I preferred both The New World and Days of Heaven to The Thin Red Line. I found it extremely boring. Or is it just because I'm not keen on war movies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, yeah i'd say the last bit plays a part wink
  8. The trolls may leave now.
  9. I am the one that wrote that long piece on The Thin Red Line. One more thing to add, Malick had taken the extra footage he didn't use and used it to create another 2.5 hr. version of The Thin Red Line with different characters and plotline (according to my interviews I am conducting for a long book about Malick and his films).

This can be confirmed by an interview with Nick Nolte: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FOvt8iP … mp;index=7
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    The trolls may leave now.

You rang, Master?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. paulmaherjr wrote
    I am the one that wrote that long piece on The Thin Red Line. One more thing to add, Malick had taken the extra footage he didn't use and used it to create another 2.5 hr. version of The Thin Red Line with different characters and plotline (according to my interviews I am conducting for a long book about Malick and his films).

This can be confirmed by an interview with Nick Nolte: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FOvt8iP … mp;index=7

I'd actually prefer to see that alternate version of the film, given a proper mix and grade, than to see the full 4+ hour edit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    4+ hour edit??!? Do they give you the drugs freely with that, so you can handle it?
  11. Well the thing about the 4 hour one is that it would be an incomplete film, so it would probably only make sense to someone whose used to watching production edits.

(Not that there aren't 4 hour films out there that work magnificently. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and Branagh's HAMLET are two fine examples.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know. AS much as i love TTRL, it's not actually on that level though wink
  12. It's fine at its current length for me, and at that current length is one of the greatest films I've ever seen. (I certainly like it better than Branagh's HAMLET, and hold it equal to LAWRENCE.)