• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009 edited
    Sorry if this has already been posted...

HollywoodReporter's list of the Top 100 scores of all time - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 26006ccb3e

Great list. They even take a lot of more modern scores into account. The Lion King ranks at #64! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    Yeah, I've already seen it.

A huge bias towards John Williams in that poll.

It's only a list though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    The Lion King ranks at #64! punk

Boorish populist pricks. angry

Timmer wrote
    A huge bias towards John Williams in that poll.

Such wonderful, insightful people. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A list of this sort is an impossible task. Jeff Bond, the writer, is happy but there aren't too many who are.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If this list can help non-soundtrack fans become soundtrack fans or at least appreciate the art form then I honestly don't care if Zimmer's name is on the list 100 times.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If at least the initial spark of even mere curiosity isn't there to start with, no list in the Universe will be persuasive enough.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As a complete aside, and for no other reason than that I suddenly noticed more consiously than before, and am curious: why do you sign your posts, Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    When Jeff includes a film such as "Amaracord" and doesn't include anything from Friedhofer, not even one score. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    To truly generate film soundtrack interest an arranger/orchestrator needs to compile 100 themes and offer it to the major pops orchestra's in the world. Offered as a concert it would help.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    As a complete aside, and for no other reason than that I suddenly noticed more consiously than before, and am curious: why do you sign your posts, Erik?

Force of habit. I remember a long, LONG time ago... probably on rec.music.movies... someone mentioned that if you stand behind your post you should sign your real name to it and not hide behind a moniker. Now, I know that I signed up to this board and others using my real name but even since that moment at rec.music.movies I've just added my name to the end of all posts.

-Erik- biggrin
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks for indulging my curiosity. smile
    Don't change it.
    I think it's kinda cool. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    When Jeff includes a film such as "Amaracord" and doesn't include anything from Friedhofer, not even one score. confused

But that's your preference. Maybe Jeff thinks that Amarcord is one of the Top 100 scores ever composed. BTW, Jeff wasn't the only person selecting these scores. Here is how the list was compiled.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 8a3eaf8018

And here is The Hollywood Reporter's ballot for the 100 Years of Film Music survey. The list was put together by a 8-member jury. From that list, others voted for the Top 100.

Listed is the ranking each score ultimately received. If no number is listed, that score did not make the final Top 100 list.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Thanks for indulging my curiosity. smile
    Don't change it.
    I think it's kinda cool. biggrin

Speaking of which, where did your "Super Mega Awesome Mod" super-signature go!?

Can... can I have it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know!
    It's suddenly gone!
    I'm having a cow! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    A list of this sort is an impossible task. Jeff Bond, the writer, is happy but there aren't too many who are.

See above. Still he did receive 9 Oscar nominations plus one Oscar (Friedhofer)
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Great jury, great picks... There's barely any non-American score present in the entire list?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nobody is going to be entirely satisfied with such a list; no matter who does it and why, it'll always be some kind of film music ground that's one's personal favorite but left uncovered by the list. It's impossible to cover and satisfy everyone so let's just be happy such lists exist from time to time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Understand Demetris but an Oscar and 9 nominations rates nothing. I think not
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, personally speaking, if Santaolalla can take it twice and bloody bolly once ('till now), Oscars don't really matter either smile wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I can't agree to any list that is so narrow-minded. If they would have made a list of the best scores from American films, I would have had no real problem with it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    I can't agree to any list that is so narrow-minded. If they would have made a list of the best scores from American films, I would have had no real problem with it.

I agree but I still take these lists with a hefty pinch of salt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Joep wrote

I agree but I still take these lists with a hefty pinch of salt.

Well yeah, same reaction here smile beer
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Yes, that's something I cannot do in these sort of cases. I cannot stand any list that pretends to cover something (quite decently up front as you read the title) and then just doesn't deliver.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Or let's just say it annoys me as much as saying Joe Hisaishi is the John Williams of Japan wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    Or let's just say it annoys me as much as saying Joe Hisaishi is the John Williams of Japan wink

John Williams is the Joe Hisaishi of America.

p.s. I like Hisaishi but I far prefer Ryuichi Sakamoto, aka the Jerry Goldsmith of Japan wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote

Give it a rest, Tom! Lists like these are subjective. It's based on personal reaction. Take it for what it is worth-- a list of scores that soundtrack fans can read about and choose to explore.

Or think about it this way-- you name what you think constitutes the 100 top scores and let's see how many people here are happy with it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    sdtom wrote

Give it a rest, Tom! Lists like these are subjective. It's based on personal reaction. Take it for what it is worth-- a list of scores that soundtrack fans can read about and choose to explore.

Or think about it this way-- you name what you think constitutes the 100 top scores and let's see how many people here are happy with it.

An interesting idea? Though I would limit it to just a top 10 it would be interesting to see what peoples top 10 scores are, and particularly in respect of the film it was written for.

My top 10 film scores within the context of the film will be a lot ( maybe?, because I haven't given it much thought yet!? ) different from my top 10 scores that I enjoy playing on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lists are boring anyway. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I won't let some of this go, no way. One A. Newman? Nothing from Copland? No Big Country? No James Newton-Howard?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I won't let some of this go, no way. One A. Newman? Nothing from Copland? No Big Country? No James Newton-Howard?
    Thomas

Then make up your own list if you are so unsatisfied and show us how it's suppose to be done.

-Erik-