• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Another of my favourites. It's been quiet from him on the film score front since S.W.A.T. (ACROSS THE UNIVERSE was mostly just arrangements of Beatles songs, after all), because of his head injury, GRENDEL and all that.

Could we PLEASE get a recording of GRENDEL now?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. WOW! Had to go way back to revive this... Well this composer has earned a place in my heart, I dig his style completely, because he does not sound like any other composer out there. He truly is unique in his writing and is at his best when he goes all out with the dissonant scores: In Dreams, Sphere, Alien 3, Batman & Robin has some great moments as well.

Final Fantasy is my favourite, it's his most accessible but it also sounds freakin' awesome, with the bursts of orchestral power like only he can come up with.

Alien 3 is just the heart and soul of the movie, without it the movie would not have been as powerful. Can you imagine Ripley taking the dive without Elliot pulling at the heartstrings? Thought not!

Titus: ah yes, another score I can get something out of: powerful yet subdued, Goldenthal made sure his score was noticed in the movie. I want more of this!

Frida the album was a mixed bag: his input was okay, but the songs I could've done without. Still songs and score accompany each other well, for my ears it just doesn't click.

Shame he has been unable to work for a while. Now what kind of new stuff can we look forward to? Grendel, haven't heard much about it, but that's true about most films. Is that another project with his wife-director?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    Thor wrote
    Another of my favourites. It's been quiet from him on the film score front since S.W.A.T. (ACROSS THE UNIVERSE was mostly just arrangements of Beatles songs, after all), because of his head injury, GRENDEL and all that.

Could we PLEASE get a recording of GRENDEL now?

Seconded! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Fourthed!
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    Frida was difficult one for me to like, the score is good, Chavela Vargas' songs were ok, but Salma's singing.. ugh.
  2. I read him say he did "S.W.A.T." for the money, so if he hadn't been offered the film, or didn't need the money, there's have been no film score from him in a long while.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2008
    Would he have lost interest in film works? Perhaps he feels he did everything he wanted on that field? He sure has to reload his creativeness and enthusiasm for film... I'm sure he mainly did Across the Universe because it's directed by his partner. Let's hope he'll soon be brimming with a fresh sense of creativity, though!
  3. I hope not, I hope he will refind his spirit and continue working in the movie business, of all the composers alive today to me he feels the most original in everything he does. I don't like all his work, but the ones I do, boy it amazes me how he can sometimes create musical harmony by just letting the orchestra loose in his usual style, by disonnance and totally crazy instrumentation. His style is not for the casual fan, but its one of those composers that can be appreciated over time, if you just open yourself to his very complex, original and expansive musical palette.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Goldenthal is surely a composer you must start to listen to several times until you find the magic and the power behind his intentions. Alien 3 was at first an atrocious listen but now is indeed the heart of the movie itself. And so many other scores carry that stamp too.

Let's hope he gets more into projects like Final Fantasy, SWAT and Michael Collins
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Weird but for some reason I find SWAT one of his weakest. Though its very accessible compared to In Dreams or Sphere, I cannot enjoy this one as much as those two. For me it's the lack of a strong theme that hinders my enjoyment of SWAT. And I should hear Michael Collins sometime.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Disliked strongly SWAT's score and hated the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    S.W.A.T. is a score I find hard to enjoy as a whole, but it definitely contains kick-ass tracks. Bullet Frenzy, for example, or My Big Black Assault Weapon punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    S.W.A.T TOTALLY KICKS ASS! We could only wish most of the younger composers could be as modern and simultaneously as orchestral and ballsy as Goldenthal in S.W.A.T.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. THE KINGDOM could have done with a SWAT-like score. (Obviously I speak more of tracks like 'AK-47 Scherzo' than the painful 'Three Chords in Two Minutes'.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    Heh that last one is certainly John Cage-esque, the worst kind of "-esque" a piece of music can ever be :P
  7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1oFoYt77o
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    Yeah, nice editing. But since Walker's TAS music (and all the other guys who wrote for it) was modelled very much on Elfman's style and since Goldenthal's theme is also a "brother" of the Elfman sound, in many ways, I'm not surprised that it fits so well.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Heh that last one is certainly John Cage-esque, the worst kind of "-esque" a piece of music can ever be :P

Actually, Cage's earlier compositions - pre-'4:33' era - are really quite fascinating. Piano sonatas etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Actually, Cage's earlier compositions - pre-'4:33' era - are really quite fascinating. Piano sonatas etc.

I've never heard any Cage.....I've certainly not heard '4.33'? wink

A friend has recommended some and is going to loan me the albums.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I'm not sure anyone has heard '4:33'. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypmW4Yd7SY
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    '4.33'

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. You bourgeios technocrat! Your definition of music is too confining. Real art stretches boundaries. biggrin

(Why, just the other day, I cooked a meal that was truly inedible, which was my attempt to question the foundations of what we call a 'good meal'. wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    You bourgeios technocrat! Your definition of music is too confining. Real art stretches boundaries. biggrin

(Why, just the other day, I cooked a meal that was truly inedible, which was my attempt to question the foundations of what we call a 'good meal'. wink )

Been there, done that, binned it in an attempt to redefine rubbish. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008 edited
    New scoring assignment for Elliot Goldenthal!: Public Enemies (http://imdb.com/title/tt1152836/)

-> http://gsamusic.com/Composers/GOLDENTH.pdf
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008 edited
    WOOHOO, finally! Great news! Let's hope he has been building up a lot of creative energy during his break, which he will release in one brilliant, kick-ass crimescore! The only problem is that its Michael Mann, which means there's a big chance there won't be a score-only release sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    AT LAST!

Unless they go in and fill the goddamn movie with crappy songs, once again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm worried about that too, but at least see this as a new start of his filmscoring career, hopefully with more to follow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    " Academy Award-winning composer Elliot Goldenthal reunites with director Michael Mann, 13 years after his score for Mann's intense action thriller Heat. "

punk