• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010
    I'm curious as to what 'orchestral electronica' means...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmm, not a good premise. But it's Goldenthal, he can make it work wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited
    This weekend, we saw and met Goldenthal in Ghent for the 10th Anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards (really isn't big; he's smaller than I am!), where he also mentioned to us his new record label. When we (well, Thor) asked him about releasing his concert works (like his opera) on this label, he said that was basically the point of the label; to release that kind of material that couldn't be released in the past. So, expect quite some new Goldenthal releases in the future!

Oh, and the concert, where the orchestra (conducted by Dirk Brosse, who also conducted Final Fantasy for the film) performed a suite of Titus, consisting of Arrows for the Gods and the Finale, was awesome! punk
  1. Re: Titus suite. So no music from the opening titles sequence?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Re: Titus suite. So no music from the opening titles sequence?

No, as there wasn't a choir present. But that didn't bother me, very pleased with this selection! smile
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Re: Titus suite. So no music from the opening titles sequence?

After 300, he probably wants to never hear that piece again. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    Shame 'cause it's an amazing piece of music smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    Check out a new interview with ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

here:
    http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
  3. Does anyone know if the Othello that features Goldenthal's music is available on Region 2 DVD? I can't seem to find it in any of the usual outlets.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    They just put out some sound clips from THE TEMPEST over at Elliot's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/ElliotGoldentha … 8091127385

Awesome stuff, including some great vocal material!! But don't expect TITUS.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    I. DON'T. LIKE IT.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I shouldn't judge it on a handful of clips but honestly, I didn't like what I heard. I hope there's far more to it than this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I. DON'T. LIKE IT.

Sorry to hear it. I think it's wonderful - from the wonderful melancholic vocals to the el guitar to the proggy chord shifts to the wacked-out brass clusters. Certainly more exciting than PUBLIC ENEMIES. Then again, I like Goldenthal that isn't primarily symphonic too (which I realize very few probably do)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    can't wait to hear this. At least a step far away from the conventional stuff we normally get most of the time. If there's one exceptionally unique composer out there today he certainly is Goldenthal.
  4. Intriguing samples... More to my tastes is the vocal stuff with the interesting harmonic ambience. I hope there's some velvety lyricless underscore in that vein too. (Not some - I hope there's a bloody great deal of it. Shakespearean lyrics aren't my favourite.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    by the way , i was one of those people who found public enemies nothing short of captivating.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It sounds artsy-fartsy and like nothing I would willingly listen to, still, I'll look forward to hearing your opinions on this and I seriously hope those sound clips aren't an indication of what the whole album sounds like?!

I'm very VERY disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    It sounds artsy-fartsy and like nothing I would willingly listen to, still, I'll look forward to hearing your opinions on this and I seriously hope those sound clips aren't an indication of what the whole album sounds like?!

I'm very VERY disappointed.

Goldenthal is ALL about "artsy-fartsy", Tim. That's why I love him so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like my "artsy-fartsy" less poncey and this is a 10 on the 1-10 poncey scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    by the way , i was one of those people who found public enemies nothing short of captivating.

I thought you were disappointed with it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. That was before he found it nothing short of captivating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i don't recall saying anything negative about it? Loved the score and movie from the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Official site of the movie
    http://www.tempest-themovie.com/
  6. Listening to the clips for The Tempest and, unfortunately this confirms to me that Goldenthal's gone down a creative pathway that's left me behind - and I don't really want to follow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the clips for The Tempest and, unfortunately this confirms to me that Goldenthal's gone down a creative pathway that's left me behind - and I don't really want to follow.

I think that's a bit extreme, don't you think?

He only does what the movie calls for, and as it just so happens, neither of the two movies he's done over the last 6-7 years(!) have called for the symphonic Goldenthal style that you probably prefer.

So I'll just recommend you to wait untill a film comes along that demands the style you prefer. Hopefully, he'll increase his activity a few hundred percent in the time to come!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. What I said didn't really suggest that I'd abandoned Goldenthal as a composer. I'm sure he's not going to care what I think and his focusing on what the director wants is probably better for his career.

I'm not going to follow him down this path that he's going on. But I love enough of his orchestral works that I'll be waiting for him when he is asked to compose something that I enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the clips for The Tempest and, unfortunately this confirms to me that Goldenthal's gone down a creative pathway that's left me behind - and I don't really want to follow.

I think that's a bit extreme, don't you think?

I don't think that extreme at all. It's a lot like your recent distaste for bombastic film scores. If Alan doesn't like where Goldenthal's career is going that's just fine and dandy. It's been almost 10 years since he wrote he last GREAT film score, Final Fantasy (allthough Frida in 2002 makes for a dynamite album) and I can sort of see where Alan is coming from. However, you do have to take into account Goldenthal's head injury which took him out of the game for a very lengthy period of time. Right now, I'm just curious as to where Goldenthal's career is going. He's worked with frequent collaborators Mann and Taymor exclusively over the past few years... is he planning on working with anyone else?

-Erik-
  8. I'll always be curious to see where Goldenthal goes with his career. And there are 1-2 tracks in The Tempest that are interesting - and may purchase if there's a digital download version of this.

I'm hopeful that there are people who have never listened to Goldenthal's work before but who are intrigued by what he does here. And if they visit some of his back-catalogue then that's wonderful. He deserves to be listened to by as many people as possible. And writing with a level of diversity will help with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    Well, the guy has composed 2 (TWO!) scores since SWAT in, what, 2003 (not counting the adaptation work on ACROSS THE UNIVERSE)?

So I don't really think that constitutes a "path" that one can follow or not follow, or - in fact - any other tendency. His output has simply been too meager to assess one. He's done two films, none of which called for the orchestral style some prefer, and both vastly different in style, so I found it a bit extreme to talk about a path he had gone down...if one doesn't like the score (or the last one), that's fine. But no need to over-dramatize by talking about tendencies and stuff.
    I am extremely serious.