• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010 edited
    While we wait for the TEMPEST CD to arrive, I thought it would be fun to direct attention towards Goldenthal's first feature film score, COCAINE COWBOYS (1979).

I have been unsuccessful in tracking this down, but there are a couple of clips up at youtube. It's basically an art film by Ulli Lommel, a quasi-documentary thing that includes lofty conversations between Jack Palance, Andy Warhol and who knows who. Goldenthal was very much part of the Warhol crowd/New York art scene at the time, and had already done some student films to earn his credits.

It should not be confused with the 2006 documentary on the Miami drug deals, scored by Jan Hammer.

Amazingly, there's a clip of the score on youtube. Take a listen to this....it's bookended by some weird string/piano/dissonant choir pling-plong, but then the middle section sounds like a funky 70's TV theme right out of STREETS OF SAN FRANSISCO or something. Awesome! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSo7-tW-_Q
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Goodness!

I couldn't quite make it to the end. The bookend material was just too dissonant and the meat of the sandwich wasn't hard edged enough to be Streets of San Francisco!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010
    Thor wrote
    While we wait for the TEMPEST CD to arrive, I thought it would be fun to direct attention towards Goldenthal's first feature film score, COCAINE COWBOYS (1979).

I have been unsuccessful in tracking this down, but there are a couple of clips up at youtube. It's basically an art film by Ulli Lommel, a quasi-documentary thing that includes lofty conversations between Jack Palance, Andy Warhol and who knows who. Goldenthal was very much part of the Warhol crowd/New York art scene at the time, and had already done some student films to earn his credits.

It should not be confused with the 2006 documentary on the Miami drug deals, scored by Jan Hammer.

Amazingly, there's a clip of the score on youtube. Take a listen to this....it's bookended by some weird string/piano/dissonant choir pling-plong, but then the middle section sounds like a funky 70's TV theme right out of STREETS OF SAN FRANSISCO or something. Awesome! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSo7-tW-_Q

Interesting. It was John Barry meets -something or other- meets 70's TV scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010 edited
    He, he....yeah, it's weird, for sure.

By the way, the whole album (TEMPEST) is now available free for streaming at facebook. I urge you to check the whole thing out, Tim, since the clips were so "yuck" to you. There are some truly BEAUTIFUL, haunting tracks there!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    There are some truly BEAUTIFUL, haunting tracks there!

There are indeed. I do think that it is "typical" Goldenthal. I think one of the issues I have with it is that as it's relatively short the more eccentric-sounding tracks stand out more. And if you don't like those then it's difficult to avoid them in favour of the beautiful tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    He, he....yeah, it's weird, for sure.

By the way, the whole album (TEMPEST) is now available free for streaming at facebook. I urge you to check the whole thing out, Tim, since the clips were so "yuck" to you. There are some truly BEAUTIFUL, haunting tracks there!

I did say on one posting that I 'probably' needed to hear the whole thing before making any final impression, I'm well aware that clips are exactly that, just clips.

Thanks for the pointer beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Here's the link to the streaming album:

http://www.facebook.com/ElliotGoldentha … 8091127385
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    There are some truly BEAUTIFUL, haunting tracks there!

There are indeed. I do think that it is "typical" Goldenthal. I think one of the issues I have with it is that as it's relatively short the more eccentric-sounding tracks stand out more. And if you don't like those then it's difficult to avoid them in favour of the beautiful tracks.

True.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    Interview with Julie Tamor and Goldenthal on THE TEMPEST

http://video.about.com/movies/Julie-Taymor-Tempest.htm
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    Thanks! He seems somewhat livelier here than he did in Ghent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    On Scoring The Tempest and the Exclusive Video Premiere of "O Mistress Mine"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elliot-go … 99361.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011 edited
    A representative of Goldenthal posted on the Facebook page of LaLaLand Records that they will be releasing a 2CD version of Batman Forever sometime soon. Good to see Goldenthal getting some extra releases of older works, but this is mainly interesting for me because this probably means there's no reason left to NOT follow it by a score release of Batman & Robin!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    I've not heard Batman Forever, but I'd buy Batman & Robin in an instant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's been known for a while now.

I have no interest in BATMAN FOREVER, as the existing CD is pretty much perfect the way it is. But a release of the 50-minute program that EG prepared for BATMAN & ROBIN, but that never came to be, I'd VERY much like to have.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I've not heard Batman Forever, but I'd buy Batman & Robin in an instant.

If you love the latter you'll no doubt love the former, check it out Ant, it's a great score.

I have to say though that like Thor, I'm not interested in a 2 CD release.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let's go for a C&C Batman & Robin please, then Thor can edit out the tracks he doesn't want. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011 edited
    For the benefit of franz_conrad, it is worth saying that I wouldn't buy a load of bricks, hire a bricklayer and then build my own wall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Of course you wouldn't hire a bricklayer. You'd lay them yourself! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Anthony wrote
    Let's go for a C&C Batman & Robin please, then Thor can edit out the tracks he doesn't want. wink

By God, no.

But I WOULD be able to accept a B&R release that had Goldenthal's original album program, and then the extra cues for the C&C fetishists as bonus material or something.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. But I WOULD be able to accept a B&R release that had Goldenthal's original album program, and then the extra cues for the C&C fetishists as bonus material or something.

While I would probably share your preferences in this case, there's some irony in someone as fussy as you labelling another group of people 'festishists'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    But I WOULD be able to accept a B&R release that had Goldenthal's original album program, and then the extra cues for the C&C fetishists as bonus material or something.

While I would probably share your preferences in this case, there's some irony in someone as fussy as you labelling another group of people 'festishists'.

Well, vice versa I guess you could call me an 'album fetishist'. Sounds far more fun that way, doesn't it? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    IMDB says Goldenthal is writing the "theme music" for In the Land of Blood and Honey, which is Angelina Jolie's directorial debut (!) - and also says that the score is by Gabriel Yared. Odd. Anyone know the real deal? Would be great to hear new music from EG.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    Southall wrote
    IMDB says Goldenthal is writing the "theme music" for In the Land of Blood and Honey, which is Angelina Jolie's directorial debut (!) - and also says that the score is by Gabriel Yared. Odd. Anyone know the real deal? Would be great to hear new music from EG.

Could be themes from previous scores?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. FilmMusicReporter.com reported last month Yared was scoring it. Maybe Yared's been replaced again. Just speculating.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    My audio interview with Goldenthal:

http://montages.no/2011/11/filmfrelst-7 … oldenthal/

(it starts about 10 minutes in).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just now had it confirmed that Goldenthal was partying to at least 4:30 the night before and that he was, how shall I put it, heavily intoxicated at the time.

I'm glad to hear this, because that means the slurred speech is more to do with alcohol than the accident.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Legend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahaha absolutely !