• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012
    I always thought of Goldenthal as being a kind of modern equivalent of Alex North with the way he writes such uncompromising music, intellectually complex, for even the most mainstream of films. Sadly I can't say it any more since he doesn't really do any new films. I think that's perhaps the greatest missed opportunity in film music today - the absence of Goldenthal. Such a pity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In this universe Goldenthal scored Batman & Robin, and Zimmer scored The Dark Knight. I'm living in the wrong universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I always thought of Goldenthal as being a kind of modern equivalent of Alex North with the way he writes such uncompromising music, intellectually complex, for even the most mainstream of films. Sadly I can't say it any more since he doesn't really do any new films. I think that's perhaps the greatest missed opportunity in film music today - the absence of Goldenthal. Such a pity.

Such true words. With the exception of Williams, i don't think anyone else from the alive composers can write as complex and good. He's such an exceptional artist but he seems to be putting his energy mostly into his wife and family life lately than actual music smile Maybe the accident he had was life-changing?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Screw his wife, he should write more music! angry (Or both.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe his severe accident made him realize how abruptly our short life can be cut? And decided he invested in the things that truly matter to him? If it's true, it's surely a decision we can only respect. Although i don't like his wife's work, at all smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote

Such true words. With the exception of Williams, i don't think anyone else from the alive composers can write as complex and good.

Edited to add: +Morricone. The man writes insanely good. All three men basically wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In this universe Goldenthal scored Batman & Robin, and Zimmer scored The Dark Knight. I'm living in the wrong universe.

Sadly true sir slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    I'm living in the wrong universe.

You could tray getting on a plane, if you are lucky you'll crash on an island, etc etc.

Ok....

:coat:
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2012
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm living in the wrong universe.

You could tray getting on a plane, if you are lucky you'll crash on an island, etc etc.

Ok....

:coat:

And you will be blessed by the best modern tv film score etc.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Such true words. With the exception of Williams, i don't think anyone else from the alive composers can write as complex and good. He's such an exceptional artist but he seems to be putting his energy mostly into his wife and family life lately than actual music smile Maybe the accident he had was life-changing?

One thing I've heard is that he didn't feel like doing more action movies, that's one thing. THe other thing is that Grendel might have gotten him out of the loop. To get work, you have *to work*, so taking two years off to write an opera (or something like that) was a kiss of death just like it was for Don Davis, who I've heard is *desperate* for work, to the point of getting back to orchestration gigs.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Interesting rumblings on Facebook and the FSM board about Goldenthal possibly stepping in to score THOR TOO.

I saw that Thor (not Thor) requested some clarification from the PR people behind Goldenthal's Facebook page. I'll be curious to see their response.

I like Doyle a lot and I thought his score for THOR (not Thor) was serviceable but frankly a little bland. It wasn't much of an issue because much of the story is Earth-bound. The sequel, though, will reportedly involve galactic war on a much larger scale, and they really need a heavy, grounded score to keep the drama from falling off the rails. Not saying Doyle can't do this, but Goldenthal really seems like a perfect fit. I would hope for something along the lines of FINAL FANTASY or SPHERE or DEMOLITION MAN as opposed to BATMAN FOREVER (a nice score, but written for a cartoon).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    Man but I would love this to be true.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mike, isn't Doyle's music lately almost always bland? I'd too love to see Goldenthal on this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Well director Kenneth Branagh is not returning for Thor 2 which with its title 'into the dark', 'behind the darkness', 'darker than dark', '50 shades of dark', ... it was something with dark... doesn't have me psyched to see it. A score by Doyle or Goldenthal could change that smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Goldenthal please!
  3. Demetris wrote
    Mike, isn't Doyle's music lately almost always bland? I'd too love to see Goldenthal on this one.

Some of it, sure. I enjoyed LA LIGNE DROITE a lot, even if it ran a Glass-ian idea into the ground. I've heard good things *about* BRAVE, though I haven't actually heard *it* yet.

But any case I'm completely behind Goldenthal getting this gig if they go that way. He's got such a unique voice in modern scoring and I miss hearing it in these kinds of movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRAVE is pretty forgettable if you're not into a big Celtic orgy with bagpipes and all. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Not everything is an orgy Demetris! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    No? cry It's a shame 'cause i always like to picture everyday situations as bukkake variations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

One thing I've heard is that he didn't feel like doing more action movies, that's one thing. THe other thing is that Grendel might have gotten him out of the loop. To get work, you have *to work*, so taking two years off to write an opera (or something like that) was a kiss of death just like it was for Don Davis, who I've heard is *desperate* for work, to the point of getting back to orchestration gigs.

Interesting points Pawel. Was Davis' opera ever finished and released btw? It seems they chose the worst era to do so (i.e. the beginning of the financial crisis, when peoples' pockets were still full and could have the luxury of unpaid temporary stepping downs from work...remember the famous Zimmer long-term vacation announcement? wink )
  4. I hope to ask Davis next year in Kraków!

I didn't publish the recording of my Hans interview, when I asked him about the one-year-vacation announcement, his response was a genuinely awkward/shy "yeeeees" biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    I figured out smile Then money run out i imagine... wink
  5. While doing a quick search to see if it's true (though there's a couple people I could ask, that could confirm it), I found an interview with one of the stars, Tom Hiddleson, which I found amusing because of this:

Speaking of Thor, you've been tweeting about Idris Elba's Mumford & Sons video.
    Yes! Well I think that's a great album, but I'm not sure they would be the soundtrack of my life. I would love to have Bon Iver write some stuff because their music is so soulful. Sigur Rós! Yes! So, we actually shot some of Thor 2 in Iceland and it was amazing when we were actually there, driving up these volcanoes listening to Sigur Ros. It suddenly all made sense. I think I must have Icelandic ancestry - I haven't researched it, this is completely unofficial, I just feel very at home there. Or, the further north I go the more at home I feel. I went to Hawaii in the spring and I thought "this is paradise, why don't we all live here" but I confessed to myself that I don't belong in a tropical environment. I belong where there are mountains and snow and clear, crisp blue skies.

So Bon Iver, Sigur Rós...
    If there's any extraordinary action - which there isn't really - I'd want Hans Zimmer to write it. I've just thought of the last one and forgotten it. A film composer... not Clint Mansell, not Elliot Goldenthal... Moby! So, Bon Iver, Sigur Rós, Hans Zimmer and Moby. There we go.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Came across some "fallout" from the Goldenthal "borrowings" in Tyler Bates' score to 300: on Amazon's mp3 site, all the track titles for Bates' score for 300 have had "Based upon themes by Elliot Goldenthal" added.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Came across some "fallout" from the Goldenthal "borrowings" in Tyler Bates' score to 300: on Amazon's mp3 site, all the track titles for Bates' score for 300 have had "Based upon themes by Elliot Goldenthal" added.

He, he....that's cute.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Came across some "fallout" from the Goldenthal "borrowings" in Tyler Bates' score to 300: on Amazon's mp3 site, all the track titles for Bates' score for 300 have had "Based upon themes by Elliot Goldenthal" added.

He, he....that's cute.

I also remember they ripped off Zimmer, and Yared's rejected score to "Troy". I think those should be credited, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    New York Foundation for the Arts to honor ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL among others:

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.gr/2013/0 … ducts.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    New York Foundation for the Arts to honor ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL among others:

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.gr/2013/0 … ducts.html

Can't say I recognise a single name of any other inductee? But then again if I went out on the street right now and asked people who Elliot Goldenthal is I'd be very very lucky to get one single positive answer.
  8. Mira Nair is a director, usually works with Mychael Danna.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Who's Mychael Danna?

no worries, i'll call my own taxi >>>