• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Oh yes, Goldenthal and Mann also mean lick
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    I think Goldenthal alone means lick lick lick lick lick lick !!!!

Remember when Doyle was MIA due to leukemia? This hiatus for Goldenthal has felt just like that. Close call, those. Glad to still have them both! Wouldn't it be weird if they collaborated on a score?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. Doyle wasn't so much MIA. He was finishing Great Expectations during a chemotherapy period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Wow, dedicated chap! shocked
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Oh yes, but that's the passion. Remember how long Goldsmith was composing in his final years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Yeah there's a man who never retired. Clearly talent doesn't equal dedication. Great artists have worked at whatever degree was right for them. That Barry and Korngold retired so early isn't a slight on their skill.
  4. I'm currently investigating, but it looks like he's being Mann-handled on PE.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. The soundtrack investigator strikes again... tongue wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    justin boggan wrote
    I'm currently investigating, but it looks like he's being Mann-handled on PE.

Wow
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Which orchestra will he use for that? Does the Hollywood Orchestra have the Mann-power to take on his score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I'm currently investigating, but it looks like he's being Mann-handled on PE.

Yikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    According to Universal, Goldenthal is the solo composer on Public Enemies...

But indeed, you never know with Mann!

mc
  6. I hope that's 100% true, because the other composer is ... less than talented.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    Which other composer?
  7. Good to have a Goldenthal score to look forward to - and Shakespeare too!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. It's interesting, listening to the full score promo of HEAT, there were some very interesting tracks left out of the film. I wouldn't doubt that Mann got that right, as it's hard to accuse that film of being flawed, but the music was fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    I hope that's 100% true, because the other composer is ... less than talented.

Well... we know from history that Michael Mann likes to work with different musical voices in his films and I would not be surprised if some of them are happy to not work under contract with the studio. Then if their music find its way into the final cut of the movie these artists and composers can expect big $$$! Now if they are not signed to the picture, Universal will of course deny that they are involved... I believe that Elliot will still be the main composer on the picture, though, as he was on Heat.

When the film is released we will know!

mc
  9. Yeah. And usually, Mann knows what he's doing. Like in Heat, Collateral or Insider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Yeap.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Mann is far more musically aware than, say, Ridley Scott. I watched Hannibal last night and I have to say that Ridley is THE most overrated director out there and his use of music is just a big question mark for me. He doesn't seem to know what to do with it, how to use it dramatically. After Hannibal, I watched Red Dragon by Brett Ratner, who is a far less appaluded director. And the film was SO much better than Hannibal, and the music by Elfman was SO much sophisticated than Zimmer's in Hannibal. When I was watching Hannibal I actually realized why I like so few of Hans' scores... they never get under my skin. Elfman's motif-driven, carefully orchestrated Red Dragon, on the other hand, impregnated me.

mc
  10. Hannibal is one of Scott's lesser movies and I think that Red Dragon is generally preferred to Scott's movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    moviescore wrote
    Mann is far more musically aware than, say, Ridley Scott. I watched Hannibal last night and I have to say that Ridley is THE most overrated director out there and his use of music is just a big question mark for me. He doesn't seem to know what to do with it, how to use it dramatically. After Hannibal, I watched Red Dragon by Brett Ratner, who is a far less appaluded director. And the film was SO much better than Hannibal, and the music by Elfman was SO much sophisticated than Zimmer's in Hannibal. When I was watching Hannibal I actually realized why I like so few of Hans' scores... they never get under my skin. Elfman's motif-driven, carefully orchestrated Red Dragon, on the other hand, impregnated me.

mc

I couldn't disagree more. Ridley is quite UNDERRATED, in fact. Not in terms of popularity, but in terms of assessing him as a film ARTIST. Also, I think he's one of the most musically conscious directors around. Heck, even the socalled "controversies" he's been involved in, are proof of that.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I do think the way Zimmer drew on Wagner for 'Every Captive Heart and Soul', but yeah, the Elfman score is on a different level, musically.

BODY OF LIES - Scott's most recent film - was a musical let down. Marc Streitenfeld seems like a composer who has more of a sense of film music as a craft than an art.
  12. That was rather Mahler than Wagner, wasn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I quite enjoy watching many of Scott's films, but I do feel he is given a free ride by the critics because of how visually arresting they can be. There's some good ones amongst them but a lot of tosh too. Musically, he must be the weakest of any A-list director there's ever been; essentially he hasn't got a clue. When it works it's generally by coincidence, I suspect.
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    That was rather Mahler than Wagner, wasn't it?

Yes, actually! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Thor wrote
    I couldn't disagree more. Ridley is quite UNDERRATED, in fact. Not in terms of popularity, but in terms of assessing him as a film ARTIST. Also, I think he's one of the most musically conscious directors around. Heck, even the socalled "controversies" he's been involved in, are proof of that.

Underrated? He is considered to be one of the "important" contemporary directors, both among academics and fans. Blade Runner and Thelma & Louise are standard literature for any film student. So no way he is underrated...

The "controversies" he's been involved in are proof of insecurity! If he had a strong vision musically from the outset, and knew what he wanted and what he was doing, can you explain the Kingdom of Heaven mess?

mc
  14. I don't agree. I think Scott movies (except Hannibal, GIJane) work on few levels, they aren't only visually stunning. In most of the cases the acting is great. And as opposed to some directors working today, he can tell a story. Yes, also with the music, which works. Sometimes less, sometimes more subtly, but still works. Streitenfeld is a guy who approaches films intelligently and that's all I can say, really. He's definitely a good craftsman and an intelligent one.

Regarding art aspects, except the visuals, yes, Ridley can say something. His Middle East-themed movies are capable of making one think. And that actually makes him one of my masters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    Thor wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

I LOVE Ridley Scott's work, in all aspects, including the use of music. For me, GLADIATOR - just to name but one of his works, is one of the most important audio-visual experiences i ever had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Marc Streitenfeld seems like a composer who has more of a sense of film music as a craft than an art.

That is a very true statement. American Gangster was very blatant experience and although i DO like Body of Lies, i will admit that's basically due to my love for Middle Easter Music and that yeah, Ridley better find an artist as fast as possible, for the musical accompaniment of his films.