• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    If i ask you to pick up just one cue or track from overall released Harry Potter scores, which one you will pick up or to say all time favorite cue or track?

My pick up and all time favorite is "Fawkes the Phoenix" from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by John Williams.

What's yours?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Mischief Managed from Prisoner of Azkaban. Terrific suite of the third score's themes! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    Mischief Managed from Prisoner of Azkaban. Terrific suite of the third score's themes! wink

Good one. To be honest, i was about to choose this one but you know for the past few months, my interest and passion grown very wild over the "Fawkes the Phoenix" track from "The Chamber of Secrets". Its very amazing, moving and heart touching cue. Overall, as a complete and best score album, i would certainly pick up "The Prisoner of Azkaban". Still, its one of the best scores for Harry Potter movies. What do you say on this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009 edited
    Prisoner of Azkaban is undoubtebly the best Potter score till date. My rating of the Potter scores goes like this -

Prisoner of Azkaban > Goblet Of Fire > Chamber Of Secrets > Sorcerer's Stone > Order of The Phoenix

As for Fawkes The Phoenix, I'm sure only someone like Williams could've written such a serene and moving theme. In that soundtrack my favourite cue is Dueling The Basilisk. The Fawkes' theme majestic performance in the opening is terrific!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agree with "Mischief Managed".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    Actually, i had great desire and expectation that John Williams would return for the final part of the Harry Potter, but i was totally disappointed. Hey guys, what do you actually think Hooper's effort for "Order of the Phoenix"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited
    "Harry in Winter" from The Goblet of Fire. What a sublime composition!

As for rating of all the Potter scores:

Goblet of Fire
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Order of the Phoenix (VG)
    Half-Blood Prince (VG)
    Chamber of Secrets
    Order of the Phoenix
    Philosopher's Stone
    Half-Blood Prince
  1. ChrK wrote
    "Harry in Winter" from The Goblet of Fire. What a sublime composition!

I'd agree with Christian.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Harry in Winter or Fawkes the Phoenix.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009
    Mischief Managed is the best track IMO, because the suite contains all the best music from the best score (and film) in the series. Man, I hope John Williams returns for the final movie(s)! smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    As much as I like "Mischief Managed," I prefer "Finale." Such a beautiful melding of the main theme of the third movie with "Hedwig's Theme."

If Williams ever decides to return for Deathly Hallows, I pray that Yates has him incorporate "Window" into the score(s) along with "Hedwig's Theme."
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Harry In Winter is a lovely track indeed, also Death Of Cedric has to be one of the most heartbreaking cues in the series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Artworks wrote
    Mischief Managed is the best track IMO, because the suite contains all the best music from the best score (and film) in the series. Man, I hope John Williams returns for the final movie(s)! smile

Erik Woods certainly will not agree with you. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love "Buckbeat's Flight" (or whatever his name is) in HP3 for its joyous, thrilling nature; but that score's beautiful "A Window to the Past" might be my favourite.

I do agree with Sunil's feelings on "Fawkes the Phoenix" - a very lovely theme.
  3. I'll risk causing offence, but here goes: I'm always amazed that Doyle's score has such afficianados. Sure, Williams was in craftsmen mode more than genius mode for the first two, but the third is one of his very best latter day scores. And Doyle just isn't in reach of those coat tails.

'Window to the Past' for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited
    I'm not a too big fan of Doyle's material either, although it did have some really good moments. I do rank it over Hooper's scores though. The POA score is my absolute favourite.

Just for fun, here's a little overview of the Potter scores I did on my blog a while back - http://the-soundtracker.blogspot.com/20 … final.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm not a too big fan of Doyle's material either, although it did have some really good moments.

I quite liked it. I think it's a league below Williams's scores for the series (and there is no shame in that), but it's a league above Hooper's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yup, far above Hooper's scores. But Doyle went over the top too often, and some tracks felt somewhat incoherent listening experience. I prefer his Eragon score to GOF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    Though I enjoy reading HP books, somehow neither the movies nor the scores are attractive for me. I actually haven't seen 5th and 6th movies and don't have any soundtracks except Prisoner Of Azkaban. A Window To The Past is a really beautiful piece. smile

Other than that, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the JW's scores... they remind me of other scores I've known (Hook, ET and Home Alone) too much. I thought Doyle's score fit in the HP world better. I don't know about Hooper's scores.

But it seems it's time to check out all HP movies again... because I just finished reading the 7th book.
    (btw at a particular scene I couldn't help playing Ride The Dragon from Shrek in my head... biggrin )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    (btw at a particular scene I couldn't help playing Ride The Dragon from Shrek in my head... biggrin )

Me too! That piece fit in perfectly with the scene. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Miya wrote

Other than that, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the JW's scores... they remind me of other scores I've known (Hook, ET and Home Alone) too much. I thought Doyle's score fit in the HP world better. I don't know about Hooper's scores.

I appreciate your honesty. biggrin I agree that Doyle's score for Goblet of Fire is excellent, but i find it too harsh when you say Maestro's score doesn't fit to Harry's world that much. As i said earlier, one cue "Fawkes the Phoenix" would certainly reveals the quality of Maestro's musical composition. I say Doyle and Hooper never can compose that kind of gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGretta
    The track from the HP-scores that is most in my CD-player is Hedwig's Theme from the first movie. Just because of the sheer vibrancy and fun of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Dueling The Basilisk is one of my all-time favourite Williams action cues. That huge fantasy choir is irresistible!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    For me , it is a toss up between Williams' A Window to the Past and Doyle's Harry in Winter. Both feature snow, both are inspiring but I think Doyle's is a bit more original since John is inspired by his own Jane Eyre. So Doyle's gets my vote by a slight advantage here. Slight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    Artworks wrote

Erik Woods certainly will not agree with you. biggrin

Wouldn't agree with Mischief Managed because it's just an edit and not a complete composition like The Empire Strikes Back end credit cue for example.

As for the rest... Azkaban best score, hope Williams returns... of course I agree.

-Erik-

PS - Best cue - easily "Hedwig's Theme" with a close second to "Harry's Wondrous World" (Chamber of Secrets version)
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote

As for the rest... Azkaban best score, hope Williams returns... of course I agree.

It is and I am really looking forward to hear Williams finishing it in style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    Tintin wrote
    I think Doyle's is a bit more original since John is inspired by his own Jane Eyre.

What? I beg your pardon! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    I agree with Hedwig's Theme wholeheartedly. It sets the musical tone for the films perfectly and is such a vibrant piece. As for the best full score of them all, I'd say Chamber of Secrets: a rich, coherent and thoroughly thematic score. Doyle did a great job in following Williams by retaining a touch of magic yet going down a darker route that served the film perfectly. Hoopers work contains one enjoyable theme yet is overall forgettable.
  4. Probably because it was first, and I've listened to it the most, I really like Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone - Track 10 - The Norwegian Ridgeback And A Change Of Season. smile Very moving music that Williams just does so well.