• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30931043/

This of course is not good for the world.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    sdtom wrote

Agreed. sad
  1. sdtom wrote

Depending on how things go, it may be what people decide to do in response to this that is actually not too good for the world?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Can't argue with that logic either Alan.
  2. Wrong section of the board.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    figures
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

Depending on how things go, it may be what people decide to do in response to this that is actually not too good for the world?

Very good point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

Very good point.

It really is a good point.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We can only hope that sensible heads prevail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    [edit] moved to 'off topic'

It seems that US found a new place to start bombing soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote

cheesy kill
  3. Christodoulides wrote

No need to be snarky about it. They're not exactly picking fights here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No need to be snarky about it. They're not exactly picking fights here.

Well, they don't exactly have the greatest of backgrounds in the field. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fantastic... a country that is historically as diplomatically stable as nitroglycerin with an inferiority complex the size of a small planet starts launching rockets again (as they've been out of the world press for almost six days now) and talking nuclear power (as it's obviously urgent as shit to bomb Singapore), and America gets the rap?

The knee jerk "America should resolve all the ills in the Universe which obviously they all caused in the first place" reaction may be getting out of hand.
    Chomsky's got a lot to answer for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, the "they have absolutely no faults upon the current situation which has slowly evolved during the last 50-60 years or so" notion on the other side is also very idiotic wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Luckily no one is actually TAKING that position...in wry contrast to the former! tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, let's just say that their bombing and invading techniques of the last 8-9 years or so haven't actually WORKED in benefit of anyone, not even themselves. Especially when it comes to taking down a dictator who was once their beloved child and was placed in the position he held by themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    OK, but the dictator in North-Korea was never a beloved child of the Americans. Anyway, I agree with Martijn that in this the "bad guy" is North-Korea and not the US.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, let's just say that their bombing and invading techniques of the last 8-9 years or so haven't actually WORKED in benefit of anyone, not even themselves. Especially when it comes to taking down a dictator who was once their beloved child and was placed in the position he held by themselves.

Ahem...just to try and clarify matters: THE ONLY PARTY LAUNCHING ROCKETS IS NORTH KOREA!

The US has nothing to do with it.
    And again: we're talking about NORTH KOREA.

I'm sure you have many slights against the US, perceived or no, and I'll be happy to take you apart...erm... address those when needed, but this is NORTH KOREA we're talking about.

Unless we'd be going off topic, of course. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In an ideal world, yeah, whatever that inferiority complex-full nation (as you say and i agree) did, would only affect themselves.

In real world, the title of the article captures all the essence: "North Korea widens threat, limits U.S. options"

So, how is this a strictly North Korean subject as you say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's NOT a strictly North Korean subject: in fact -as Tom already stated- it's an issue concerning the whole world (as most mid- to long-rage rocket launches from a nuclear power do).
    Obviously the article takes a US centric view as it's an American article.

I have no issue with that.

I DO have an issue with blaming America for this and a hypothetical future response.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What does "limits US options" imply to you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think the Washington Post puts it best:
    Top officials in the Obama administration have only begun to grapple with those questions and have not reached any conclusions beyond seeking condemnation by the U.N. Security Council with "consequences," officials said yesterday. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton hit the phones urging a "strong, unified" approach from other nations while President Obama said the North was "deepening its own isolation and inviting stronger international pressure." He vowed to "work with our friends and our allies to stand up to this behavior."

Basically the new US administration was hoping that the only thing preventing North Korea from behaving in a civilized manner was a lack of direct diplomatic engagement.
    They're now realizing that North Korea is the rogue state that it is (with China and Russia reacting far more heavier than last time as well), which clearly limits diplomatic options.

Which is why a UN reaction "with consequences" is currently sought.

Obviously "with consequences" is as broad a concept as possible, but it sure as hell doesn't look like the bombers are in the air just yet.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, the "they have absolutely no faults upon the current situation which has slowly evolved during the last 50-60 years or so" notion on the other side is also very idiotic wink

Yes, let's live in a world where only two positions are possible, and both are extremes! tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, I'm all for extremes.
    In fact, had it been up to me I'd have bombed those sons of bitches back into the stone age years ago! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just to make one thing crystal clear: North Korea is no Iraq or Afghanistan! It has a military power that FAR supersedes those countries combined. So an invasion would be disastrous at this point, I think. The only problem is that I'm not sure which other sanctions are left for this isolated country? We can all hope that Kim Jong-Il dies soon (as his health is declining), but there will inevitably be someone to follow in his footsteps.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm pleased Thor has finally made the point that a US invasion of North Korea is about as remote a prospect as there could be. They're a nuclear power (though I don't know what kind and how many missiles they might actually have) and are ruled by a raving madman. Not a combination that lends itself towards getting invaded.

I've long held the belief that only cricket-playing countries in the northern hemisphere should be allowed to have nuclear weapons. Nobody else can be trusted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Whatever politics did and will do...

I was living (and my parents are still living) in Niigata, located on the other side of Japan Sea (or the East Sea as Koreans call)... so news about North Korea always give me chills since I was little freezing
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I'm pleased Thor has finally made the point that a US invasion of North Korea is about as remote a prospect as there could be. They're a nuclear power (though I don't know what kind and how many missiles they might actually have) and are ruled by a raving madman. Not a combination that lends itself towards getting invaded.

I think the reasons for NOT invading are far more diplomatic and political than military in nature. It's a different government that is very much trying to get away from the Bush one in tone.
    Also: the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq were for vastly different reasons than as a reaction to flexing military muscle.

I've long held the belief that only cricket-playing countries in the northern hemisphere should be allowed to have nuclear weapons. Nobody else can be trusted.

Yeah.
    I really have a good feeling about Pakistan... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm quite glad that there are some reasonably thinking individuals like Martijn who don't think like Demetris, which might be the general opinion of the United States by the majority of people. The really really important part of this entire discussion is that I forgot to think and put this thread in the off main discussion section instead of the off topic. Two people caught that and one had to move it because our forum has to be perfect!!! I'm sorry I started a new thread which I also realize was a no no. Somehow, this topic should have gone into some previously started one.
    Thomas sad