• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'm pleased Thor has finally made the point that a US invasion of North Korea is about as remote a prospect as there could be. They're a nuclear power (though I don't know what kind and how many missiles they might actually have) and are ruled by a raving madman. Not a combination that lends itself towards getting invaded.

I think the reasons for NOT invading are far more diplomatic and political than military in nature. It's a different government that is very much trying to get away from the Bush one in tone.
    Also: the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq were for vastly different reasons than as a reaction to flexing military muscle.

You're right of course, but even Bush wouldn't have gone into North Korea. (And indeed the situation in Afghanistan is vastly different from the situation in Iraq - as is the outcome - while the "allies" haven't covered themselves in glory in Iraq, it's certainly not that clear cut in Afghanistan.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    I've long held the belief that only cricket-playing countries in the northern hemisphere should be allowed to have nuclear weapons. Nobody else can be trusted.

Yeah.
    I really have a good feeling about Pakistan... slant

Well OBVIOUSLY I don't count Pakistan as being in the northern hemisphere - why would I, when I use the Pringle Projection? Don't tell me you're still stuck on the Mercator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    I'm quite glad that there are some reasonably thinking individuals like Martijn who don't think like Demetris, which might be the general opinion of the United States by the majority of people. The really really important part of this entire discussion is that I forgot to think and put this thread in the off main discussion section instead of the off topic. Two people caught that and one had to move it because our forum has to be perfect!!! I'm sorry I started a new thread which I also realize was a no no. Somehow, this topic should have gone into some previously started one.
    Thomas sad

What are you on about? Nobody said you shouldn't start a new thread, it was just in the wrong section. A topic about NORTH KOREA is not a "general discussions' topic for maintitles.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Frankly I don't care anymore
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Southall wrote
    Well OBVIOUSLY I don't count Pakistan as being in the northern hemisphere - why would I, when I use the Pringle Projection? Don't tell me you're still stuck on the Mercator.

Goodness, that takes me back to school geography lessons!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am trying to understand the reason of your whining, if you aren't going to explain why writing the long paragraph in the first place?

What was it that annoyed you? My opinion on the subject matter? Well i am sorry for having my own thoughts on actions by other countries that affect my everyday life radically and that those thoughts are different than yours.

Was it the movement of the thread to the "off topic" section? IT'S NOT A DISGRACE FOR A THREAD TO BE MOVED INTO THE OFF TOPIC, as long as it doesn't fit in the general film music area that maintitles.net covers. Does anyone else disagree with this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Plus I frankly resent your attitude. Did everyone immediately notice it was in the wrong area? I wouldn't have known until it was pointed out to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tom this is seriously ridiculous here, arguing about this thing now? If you want to discuss it more with me, please reach me via p.m 'cause the ranting about moving the topic to "off topic" seriously doesn't concern anyone else, i am sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ceterum censeo Pyonyangem esse delendam.

Southall wrote
    Well OBVIOUSLY I don't count Pakistan as being in the northern hemisphere

Argh.
    I caught the cricket but missed the north.

- why would I, when I use the Pringle Projection?

Oh, I have huge Pringle Objections. For one they're WAY too catty. Fatty, I mean.

Don't tell me you're still stuck on the Mercator.

I'm actually quite proud of fellow-Dutchie Mercator! :dutchflag:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I didn't notice that the topic was placed in the wrong section. I say "wrong" only because if it was originally placed in the film area of the site then it was in an inappropriate area and the right thing to do was to change it to an off-topic place.

Personally, the first thing that I did think of when I saw the story was that it was another carrot for a US-led invasion of some sort in the future. But that was just a knee-jerk reaction based upon a cynical eye over past events, taken to the extreme.

Maybe, Demetris, you just solidified that original thought by posting it, "warts and all", on the messageboard - to be interpreted by anyone in whatever way they wanted.

It's a valid opinion, but peoples' interpretation of the statement is going to be highly personal - and cover the whole spectrum of interpretations.

Just my thoughts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    This discussion about "being in the right / wrong thread / area" is absurd IMO. As I said a couple of days ago, I think that a bit of off topic talk in a certain thread makes the forum more alive and real.

I personally don´t care (hell, I´d say I like it) if in the Hans Zimmer thread we start a discussion about potatoes, or if in the Giacchino thread we start talking about milfs. This is how this forum has been since the beginning (and the same goes for the times of scorereviews) and is what makes it so great.

Sorry, I´ve gone off topic....again.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't notice that the topic was placed in the wrong section. I say "wrong" only because if it was originally placed in the film area of the site then it was in an inappropriate area and the right thing to do was to change it to an off-topic place.

Personally, the first thing that I did think of when I saw the story was that it was another carrot for a US-led invasion of some sort in the future. But that was just a knee-jerk reaction based upon a cynical eye over past events, taken to the extreme.

Ok with that...

Maybe, Demetris, you just solidified that original thought by posting it, "warts and all", on the messageboard - to be interpreted by anyone in whatever way they wanted.

It's a valid opinion, but peoples' interpretation of the statement is going to be highly personal - and cover the whole spectrum of interpretations.

Just my thoughts.

I am sorry my friend, but i don't quite get your point here...are you saying that having it in the "general discussions" and then in the "off topic" area changes the meaning of the thread as a whole? And i wasn't the original poster btw, Tom was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    This discussion about "being in the right / wrong thread / area" is absurd IMO. As I said a couple of days ago, I think that a bit of off topic talk in a certain thread makes the forum more alive and real.

I personally don´t care (hell, I´d say I like it) if in the Hans Zimmer thread we start a discussion about potatoes, or if in the Giacchino thread we start talking about milfs. This is how this forum has been since the beginning (and the same goes for the times of scorereviews) and is what makes it so great.

Sorry, I´ve gone off topic....again.

Well, don't forget that TOM was one of the few that requested that everything should be placed in the right place and complained that the whole board was filled with off topic side-way discussions, to which i said that we should try to control that a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not posting here any more as you all willfully ignore North Korea which is the topic of this thread.

In fact, just for ignoring that I'm thinking about launching some nuclear missiles.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BACK ON TOPIC:

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't notice that the topic was placed in the wrong section. I say "wrong" only because if it was originally placed in the film area of the site then it was in an inappropriate area and the right thing to do was to change it to an off-topic place.

I think that triggered my first thoughts as well; but believe me, the new government has to do be very careful and do a lot in order to revert that previous worldwide climate and us perception the Bush administration created.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's a valid opinion

Not to be nasty, but how so?
    To me it's just a cynical statement with no grounds in fact whatsoever, although I'm of course aware that it was very much meant as an offhanded statement and not as a true indication of D.'s considerable general knowledge! smile
    But that doesn't make it valid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, don't forget that TOM was one of the few that requested that everything should be placed in the right place and complained that the whole board was filled with off topic side-way discussions, to which i said that we should try to control that a bit.

Which was right for me, I´ve always liked this forum precisely for our little off topic explosions. But, well, if we are gonna loose members because of this, then let´s change it. But I don´t think we should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, Marcel. smile
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    I am sorry my friend, but i don't quite get your point here...are you saying that having it in the "general discussions" and then in the "off topic" area changes the meaning of the thread as a whole? And i wasn't the original poster btw, Tom was.

No, that's not what I meant.

This bit of my reply was really meant to be about the original comments you made: "It seems that US found a new place to start bombing soon." I thought that Tom was taking issue with the statement. It's not related to the on-topic, off-topic debate.

For me, if administrators believe that a thread is placed in the wrong section it should be moved. Makes things tidy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, Marcel. smile

Mais non, n´est pas la même chose! Or maybe it is tongue
  4. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's a valid opinion

Not to be nasty, but how so?
    To me it's just a cynical statement with no grounds in fact whatsoever, although I'm of course aware that it was very much meant as an offhanded statement and not as a true indication of D.'s considerable general knowledge! smile
    But that doesn't make it valid!

I'll come back to this later, Martijn.

You may think that I am taking some time out to form some coherent and water-tight argument to rebuff your comment...but David needs to be taken to his drum lesson.

So, later, Martijn! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I tell you what Demetris. I forgot. If you had changed it and not said anything I'd have never known. Since the stroke the brain is no longer razor sharp. Try having your entire life wiped out of your brain and then come back. An excuse I'll grant you but a valid one.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, that's not what I meant.

This bit of my reply was really meant to be about the original comments you made: "It seems that US found a new place to start bombing soon." I thought that Tom was taking issue with the statement. It's not related to the on-topic, off-topic debate.

For me, if administrators believe that a thread is placed in the wrong section it should be moved. Makes things tidy.

I think he was more annoyed that i moved his topic instead of my actual reply. Read his replies...unless i misunderstood.

As for the initial comment i made ON THE TOPIC'S ESSENCE, i am not killing it completely. Based on what the previous government(s) did so far, actions which changed my everyday life no matter if i live well far from the US, i have to say I am watching things in general, reading news, history, books, getting informed everyday etc etc and i am bitter so far; the new government has to do A LOT and be very careful in order to revert the current climate and they have so much stuff to do in that direction, instead of blaming the rest of the world for having bitter feelings on America's policies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And maybe the rest of the world could take a page out of that book and stop blaming America for everything from the Middle East crisis to earthquakes in Malaysia.

I'm just saying it works two ways.
    We can't keep relying on America to bail us out (which we still do to a huge degree, e.g. Yugoslavia and Somalia...the latter of which they failed epically, but that's neither here nor there), just to turn around and point the finger of Utter Evil in their direction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn, i don't know what experiences and background you have where you live and work, on the said "bail-outs" throughout modern history, but their plans haven't actually worked so far, at least not all of them. And not everyone actually ASKS them to bail us out.

I know, that my family is deprived of their houses as they're refugees since 1974, thanks to their backdoor involvement with their dirty favorite child, Turkey, in Cyprus.

Just an example.

I am not anti-american in any way; not a communist, nor anything else for the subject matter, just to clarify (not that i have anything against these groups of people). But i can certainly NOT see thing as white and pro-US as you seem to.

Having said that, what NORTH KOREA does is certainly to be blamed and stopped immediately. But those having the power, i.e. One of them is the US, need to be very, very careful; much more careful than in the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "It seems that US found a new place to start bombing soon."

This is rather crass.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it was to be taken with a grain of salt, as you'd understood if you read my further replies, Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know, that my family is deprived of their houses as they're refugees since 1974, thanks to their backdoor involvement with their dirty favorite child, Turkey, in Cyprus.

The only interest the US has in Turkey was the entrance to the Black Sea.
    There's nothing to indicate there was a direct involvement in what happened on Cyprus which seems FAR more a blatant act of opportunity the Turkish government at that time saw when Greece was in disarray from the coup!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Have a stroke Demetris and your brain will change. Should we just lock up stroke survivors in sanitariums like we use to? Then you wouldn't have to deal with it. I've come back a long way but will never be the same. I think differently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tom, NOBODY is picking a fight with you (well, maybe North Korea is).
    Stop being so defensive.
    It's not necessary. smile