• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know, that my family is deprived of their houses as they're refugees since 1974, thanks to their backdoor involvement with their dirty favorite child, Turkey, in Cyprus.

The only interest the US has in Turkey was the entrance to the Black Sea.
    There's nothing to indicate there was a direct involvement in what happened on Cyprus which seems FAR more a blatant act of opportunity the Turkish government at that time saw when Greece was in disarray from the coup!

Believe me, being born in Cyprus, living there, studying, having my family as refugees, researching and serving in the army for 26 months next to Turks, i know some stuff extra than what's written around wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Have a stroke Demetris and your brain will change. Should we just lock up stroke survivors in sanitariums like we use to? Then you wouldn't have to deal with it. I've come back a long way but will never be the same. I think differently.

rolleyes

Tom, when you relax and re-read those tomorrow, maybe you'll see how odd i am feeling now by your reactions. I am not giving more ground to these, i don't want to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D., I certainly respect your background , but having had a lot of experience by local myopia (often driven by sentiment), I'm not one to take suggestions and hear-say over historical sources.
    That doesn't automatically mean I'm always right.
    But it sure as hell is a lot safer (and more verifiable) that way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    D., I certainly respect your background , but having had a lot of experience by local myopia (often driven by sentiment), I'm not one to take suggestions and hear-say over historical sources.
    That doesn't automatically mean I'm always right.
    But it sure as hell is a lot safer (and more verifiable) that way.

There's a huge plethora of historical sources, most of them are filtered regarding to who written it, where, when and what for; how can you say which one's the right and which not?

But most importantly, how does FACTS that people fighting either politically or in the army at the time, or facts that entire families and civilians went through at the time, are in any way inferior and biased than any book written by a 3rd party?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No no! I was merely commenting on the (suggestions and implications of) involvement of the US. Nothing more!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well there were implications by their part; and still ARE in Cyprus and in Greece regarding Turkey. But you won't exactly find it written or admitted, yet.

That's not our subject though, North Korea is smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    True, though I'd welcome a thread in that vein. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile In which vein exactly? Arguing over America's implications on worldwide modern history? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    smile In which vein exactly? Arguing over America's implications on worldwide modern history? wink

Something we all play a part in, some more so than most others.....

I didn't say England did I.........
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Well no, that seems like a pretty open and shut case.
    No, I was talking about Cyprus, really.
    though I'm of course aware of the vestiges of what went down there and the different players' roles, I'd be interested in an insider view, especially pertaining the alleged role of the US.

But I realize well it may be slightly too close to home for comfort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I think the reasons for NOT invading are far more diplomatic and political than military in nature. It's a different government that is very much trying to get away from the Bush one in tone.
    Also: the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq were for vastly different reasons than as a reaction to flexing military muscle.

Really? I seem to remember that the last one, at least, came about because there was a suspicion of WMD's (and the potential of "flexing" them)? At least you don't have to suspect anything with North Korea....they're simply up-front with what they've got.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Wasn't this originally posted in the 'General Discussions' area?

If it helps bring things back on topic, I would like to suggest that David Arnold might be a good person to score the upcoming diplomatic confrontation, based on his cue for the climactic sequence of DIE ANOTHER DAY.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Wasn't this originally posted in the 'General Discussions' area?

If it helps bring things back on topic, I would like to suggest that David Arnold might be a good person to score the upcoming diplomatic confrontation, based on his cue for the climactic sequence of DIE ANOTHER DAY.

You forget that we already have excellent scoring for North Korea and Kim Jong-Il in TEAM AMERICA!! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to say this once again and some of you prove my point in a small way. Society has a difficulty with the old and sick. While some of you would never say it there are those who would just wish I would die or go away. The stroke completely changed my life and while I try to be grateful I survived it hurts. I lose a $100,000.00 a year job, my partner of 20 years, and the ability to think clearly on certain things. Doesn't make me happy living on $1500.00 a month in poverty. Susan and I would still be together were it not for the stroke. She couldn't handle it either after a time. All I can tell you is that I truly try to do the best I can. If you would all care to vote and have me limit my comments to my thread I'd be happy to oblige. I'll continue to review because the music was one of the things that stayed with me. In fact it has grown.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I seem to remember that the last one, at least, came about because there was a suspicion of WMD's (and the potential of "flexing" them)?

No, in fact it was because of flaunting a dozen UN resolutions and steadfastily refusing UN investigation teams to make sure they WEREN'T harbouring WMDs, and in fact going so far as to suggest they did have them (that goddamn Arab macho posturing Sadam was so terribly good at).
    In fact, a lot of mid- to long-range missiles were discovered, and the efforts at purchasing a long-range supercannon and silkworm missiles have been wel documented.

Iraq just didn't have nearly as many of them as initial intel suggested, nor were they -as was suggested- at th brink of employing them (against Israel).

At least you don't have to suspect anything with North Korea....they're simply up-front with what they've got.

Well, that's a relief!
    At least when half of Asia goes up in a radioactive dustcloud at least we'll know for surewho is the responsible party. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    If you would all care to vote and have me limit my comments to my thread I'd be happy to oblige. I'll continue to review because the music was one of the things that stayed with me. In fact it has grown.
    Thomas

Nobody wants to do that and nobody ever said so, in this forum, Tom smile beer
  2. Yeah, nobody told you to limit your contributions!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Then I strongly suggest that all of you try to have a little understanding as to what happens to a person who has a stroke.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tom, nobody is coming down on you in any way.
    We all love ya. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thanks for understanding. I was recently speaking from the podium to a group and the way I explained it was in the following way. Take a whiteboard and put your entire life on it. The stroke is like an eraser as it just takes it all away. The brain can regenerate but very slowly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    What a magnificent idea.

Yeah, that's the dream.

To go off topic [edit: after Martijn forced me to post this thread here, this should now say "To go on topic"] for a moment, I remember reading once that North Korea had built the world's most expensive road (through some mountains) and there was an interesting article in a magazine about it. Then right at the end of the article, it mentioned in passing that cars are banned in North Korea except for top government officials.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Please confine yourself to the topic at hand.
    Unless these are nuclear cars launched as weapons, this post has no place here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Delete and ban. The only way i believe, in this case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed!

Say what?
    You were talking about ME? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i was talking about the off-topicer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You ARE talking about me! cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

no, noooo; here now; hash, shhhhhhh i wasn't talking about you ! baby
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

no, noooo; here now; hash, shhhhhhh i wasn't talking about you ! baby

what kind of emoticon is that?
    KOKO?????
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    What a magnificent idea.

Yeah, that's the dream.

To go off topic [edit: after Martijn forced me to post this thread here, this should now say "To go on topic"] for a moment, I remember reading once that North Korea had built the world's most expensive road (through some mountains) and there was an interesting article in a magazine about it. Then right at the end of the article, it mentioned in passing that cars are banned in North Korea except for top government officials.

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    I just read in the newspapers that North Korea's government says they'll take any attempt by any nation to search and investigate their navy fleet and what's on board them, as an "act of war". Great.