• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    Always exciting to hear about new Thomas Newman scores; i never understood why some people underestimate his latest score (the adjustment bureau) which i found to be a standard but ultimately enjoyable Newman score; i am always looking forward to more of his work, he's truly one of the last few old-timers in the field.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "old timer"? Who are the rest of the "old timers"?

To me, the "old timers" still working in film are the likes of John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Michel Legrand.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, indeed. But nowadays i'd always extend (both age but also stylistically-wise) to

James Horner, Thomas Newman, Alan Silvestri, David Newman, Danny Elfman.

They're very different from the rest and with few exceptions from the new ones that could also fit in there, for instance Philippe Rombi or Bruce Broughton and Chris Gordon (just to name but a few), i find that they carry a grace and air from film eras past which isn't evident in the majority of the rest modern film music outcome. And let's face it, they're not exactly youngsters anymore.

Horner 58
    Newman 56
    Silvestri 61
    D.Newman 57
    Elfman 56
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why not Zimmer, he's 54.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'Cause Zimmer is a modern film music legend ; he has nothing from eras past; in fact he's inspiring all youngsters in the field and creates new sounds each and every time he scores a musically major film upon which modern film music steps. He creates and defines the new trends in film music. Almost all youngsters follow on that, adding their own elements at best.
  1. Morricone, 83 -- working as frequently as he was ten/twenty years ago. Still looking just as unhappy in the photos.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause Zimmer is a modern film music legend ; he has nothing from eras past; in fact he's inspiring all youngsters in the field and creates new sounds each and every time he scores a musically major film upon which modern film music steps. He creates and defines the new trends in film music. Almost all youngsters follow on that, adding their own elements at best.

Sad but true!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Morricone, 83 -- working as frequently as he was ten/twenty years ago. Still looking just as unhappy in the photos.

And the only composer who truly deserves the term 'Maestro'.
  2. Was it Poledouris that told him to smile?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Never heard that before? Did he??
  3. Someone said, I think it was at one of those Ubenda gatherings years ago, that Basil(?) had told him he needed to smile more, as I recall.
  4. Another period drama? Cool, that's what he does best (Road to Perdition, Revolutionary Road).

And since it's set in the South, maybe he'll use a gospel singer to do vocals like in Fried Green Tomatoes...I can dream, can't I?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    And since it's set in the South, maybe he'll use a gospel singer to do vocals like in Fried Green Tomatoes...I can dream, can't I?

Oooh, that would be good! I love that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    NEW CD RELEASE

THE HELP

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … The/Detail
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    Here, Newman returns to the American South he previously explored musically in Fried Green Tomatoes...

Oh yes! Looking forward to this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    Hi everybody... Have anybody listened to Thomas Newman´s score from "The help"? If you have please give me your input..Thanks!
    Robinson
  5. I listened to the final cue "Ain't You Tired?" a few days ago. It's pretty standard fare for Newman, which means it's a welcome return to form. Nobody writes better string music than he does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    Nice to hear The Debt is finally getting a release.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/08/25 … announced/
  6. Good to know that he's back in business. I almost thought he retired...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    The debt but mostly THE HELP are 2 very nice returns for one of the greatest composers we have working around today.
  7. Another new project for Newman:

The Iron Lady
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/09/23 … iron-lady/
  8. Wow! I didn't expected it. He's having a really big comeback.
  9. I think he got bored playing Second Life.
  10. lol
  11. Wow.

Thomas Newman + Meryl Streep = Possible Oscar Gold.
  12. Looks like he's scoring another film, according to that post. With 4 movies out or slated for release this year and at least 2 for next year, it looks like Newman's back from his self-induced slumber. Flavor-of-the-month composers beware!
  13. Yeah, FMR reported that other film about, maybe -- without checking -- three months ago. It was recorded a little over a month ago, but his name disappeared from hte IMDB, which sometimes happens when a score might, or is replaced. Maybe it's just an oversight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011 edited
    Excellent new assignment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    The debt but mostly THE HELP are 2 very nice returns for one of the greatest composers we have working around today.

I have thoroughly enjoyed The Help and The Adjustment Bureau this year. The Debt didn't grab me as much as I had hoped but yes, I completely agree- one of the greatest composers working today and quite honestly that has ever been. His authentic sound is inspiring, mesmerizing and brilliantly crafted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    Yeah, i too enjoyed THE HELP more than what he did in '11, although the Bureau is pretty good too. Excellent composer.