• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Worrying indeed.

I do have to wonder what Spielberg will do once the inevitable day comes...will he settle on a new collaborator or rotate through composers? I kind of have to think it'll the latter. And to be honest, I can kind of picturing a Newman cold war thriller score working well. Better than that other spy score he has coming out this year.
  2. Just reread the article Erik linked to and noticed:

"John Williams’ schedule was interrupted and he was unavailable to score the film due to a minor health issue, now corrected."

Very much hope this is the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    If I think about "The Force Awakens" possibly being Williams final score ... cry

Williams is scheduled to work on Spielberg's next film The BFG, which will be released in 2016.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    If I think about "The Force Awakens" possibly being Williams final score ... cry

Williams is scheduled to work on Spielberg's next film The BFG, which will be released in 2016.

-Erik-

Exactly. It's just a schedule crash. Let's not go all 'drama queen' over this, disappointing as it may be. I'm a Newman fan, but I'm skeptical about the genre in question. It's not Newman's most interesting 'area', so to speak. Here's hoping!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thomas must be jump;ing up & down and calling as his friends. He's accomplished something nobody else has since 1985.

There will be plenty of time to replace him with a Remote Control composer days before the release. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Now now! Lets not be premature.

This is totally bum news as far as I'm concerned though.

It is and it isn't. Thomas Newman replacing anyone, even John Williams, is hardly cause for concern. But that's not to say I wouldn't have preferred a John Williams score. There's also the level of intrigue that softens the blow, given that it's two giants of their respective fields meeting for the first time (barring any executive producer rolls that I might be omitting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    They have met before, though, when Newman did episodes of AMAZING STORIES in the mid 80s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, that (I knew there'd be something). But still, the first big project as it were.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm fairly certain the assignment came about due to Williams' recommendation. Williams and the Newman family go WAY back. In fact, I'm fairly certain little Tommy was running around Williams' legs when Williams worked under Alfred in the early days.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. And they actually did work together, remember.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. I'm certainly looking forward to that score.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And they actually did work together, remember.

Thomas and John? When? I know that he worked with Alfred (that's what I just said in the earlier post), but I'm not aware of any collaborations with Thomas.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Isn't Thomas Newman one of the names that's often bandied about in the whole Return of the Jedi ghostwriting rumor circus?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He wrote Yub Nub.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Isn't Thomas Newman one of the names that's often bandied about in the whole Return of the Jedi ghostwriting rumor circus?

He is? That's certainly one of the most colourful urban legends I've heard in a while.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It's not colorful and it's not ghostwriting. The scene where Luke burns Vader's body was arranged (or orchestrated?) by a very young Thomas Newman. Newman himself admits it and claims he didn't have too much to do as Williams' sketch was so precise he basically expanded the sketch into a full score without any additions.

It wasn't ghostwriting per se.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Then it wasn't ghost writing AT ALL, as that is an arrangement of the The Force Theme, which had been well-established since 1977.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well...when I thought I knew everything there was about John Williams.....
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thomas did the arrangements of the Vader Funeral Pyre scene, as Pawel says. The 'ghostwriters' were Fred Steiner and Angela Morley.
  9. My all time favourite score. Whoever participated in making it did a great job.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sad that Williams isn't doing it and hope he recovers fully. Thomas Newman seems a very nice choice of (hopefully temporary) replacement. I have to say I had assumed for a while that Hans Zimmer would take on the mantle when the time came, given previous comments by Spielberg about him and the fact he had that high profile job at Dreamworks in the early years (picked presumably by Spielberg).
  10. It's been a very, very long time since Spielberg said that about Zimmer (wasn't it around the time of Crimson Tide, even? That was like 1995, wasn't it?). The latter's career has, to put it mildly, taken a few turns since then - maybe whatever attracted Spielberg to Zimmer's music isn't as evident in his current work. I can kind of empathize with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It has been a while. If he even said anything at all (I did quickly look for an actual quote but couldn't find it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    This is the 2nd time in as many weeks that I've missed an assignment change news because it was discussed in the composer who got the new assignment (Elfman and Newman) and not in the thread of the composer who lost the assignment (Tyler and Williams). I guess I should be clicking on all the threads and not only the ones from the composers I like shame
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Click on everything! This forum isn't very active compared to most other film music forums, so it should be relatively easy.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. yeah

Also, you don't like Thomas Newman and Danny Elfman? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015 edited
    No. Elfman is too "lalala quirky"* except for a few isolated scores, and Newman just deeply bores me with his suspense and action music. "The Letter That Never Came" is one of my all-time favorite cues from any composer and he has done a few other similar pieces over the years that I quite like, but I don't like him enough that I want to know about each new project he's working on. Sorry. I try to keep my strange dislikes to myself most of the time though...

*sorry to you lay peasants who might not understand the meaning of this phrase...it requires at least 13 years of musical training to comprehend and it's deliberately hidden from all online references.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015
    Scribe wrote

*sorry to you lay peasants who might not understand the meaning of this phrase...it requires at least 13 years of musical training to comprehend and it's deliberately hidden from all online references.

applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Scribe wrote
    No. Elfman is too "lalala quirky"* except for a few isolated scores

That's an enormously sweeping and unfair stereotype. I'd say "lalala quirky" describes maybe a fifth of his scores, if even that.

Scribe wrote
    and Newman just deeply bores me with his suspense and action music.

Newman almost never does suspense or action music, so I fail to see how this is much of a problem either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015
    Scribe probably hasn't heard:
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Little Women
    Meet Joe Black
    Oscar and Lucinda
    Scent of a Woman
    The Horse Whisperer
    The Green Mile

among others. wink