• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015 edited
    Yikes. Drama much?

I think it's a fairly straightforward word -- it can be used in a positive sense, a negative sense or a neutral sense. As I said earlier, I often marvel at composers who do pastiche well -- like Philippe Jakko with his take on baroque and Georges Delerue in QUE D'AMOUR, for example. Or John Williams with his take on pastoral English music in JANE EYRE. Etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015
    No drama... Just irritated and getting something off my chest!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Okay, then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anything wrong with that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015 edited
    With getting irritated? No, be my guest! We all have our "things"... smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks for your approval.

-Erik-
  1. Between this project, The Good Dinosaur, and Spectre, this could finally be Newman's year. He might even get double-nominated, like Desplat for last year. biggrin
  2. Timmer wrote
    I don't find the word pastiche insulting at all. I prefer the word homage but that is more applicable to, for example, George Clinton's Austin Powers scores which purposely reference the likes of John Barry and Henry Mancini.

While pastiche is often a form of homage, it's not necessarily one, as pastiche generally refers to a certain style (which of course can be idiosyncratic, as the "John Barry Bond style" or indeed Henry Mancini) rather to a particular artist. And of course it doesn't have to be as positive approach as a homage would be. It's simply using elements of a certain style and actually "amping them up" (making them more prominent than they are). And unlike a parody it's done in a serious way (if overly serious, then I'd say it's a parody, as it may simply make things more absurd and funny than they are... that was the Bernstein scoring school in Airplane! and so on, obviously). A Ridley Scott (a very idiosyncratic director) pastiche wouldn't make automatically a Ridley Scott homage, I think smile . That's just me though and as Thor says, it's pure semantics.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    I think it can be irritating and even insulting to an artist and by lesser extension fans of their work, when works which are not intended or recognized by the artist to be pastiche, are labeled as such by critics. If the work is intended as an original creation and it gets labelled as pastiche, it's basically the critic saying the artist isn't original or clever or creative enough to have their own spin on things. Whether or not it's true in any particular case, and I'm not going to keep going there because I'm not musically educated enough, if the artist and/or their fans believe a work (or body of works) to be an original creation that is worthy of standing on its own, then it's really not very nice to call it a pastiche. It's a little demeaning. I don't believe McKenzie is intending to pastiche anything in particular, and that was why I originally interpreted Thor's statement as a clever jab in response to my equally overgeneralized statements about Elfman. I didn't think anyone would actually think McKenzie's music is pastiche, it's probably as absurd to me as the comments I made about Elfman probably sound to an Elfman fan. Still, the jokes on me 'cause I over-reacted more biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015
    Any examples where critics have labelled scores as pastiche?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    For the purposes of this thread I consider Thor to be a critic. Especially since he's an IFMCA member if I remember correctly.
  3. Timmer wrote

An interesting question especially as there is a thin line between parody and pastiche. For example Harry Gregson-Williams' Team America is a parody or pastiche of the MV/RC style? Especially if the score is actually coming from a guy who was instrumental in defining the style?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm not sure it's fully either one of those, since he was instructed to score the film as 100% serious as if it were live-action. So if anything, I would say pastiche, but I have issues with that word in this context too tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    For example Harry Gregson-Williams' Team America is a parody or pastiche of the MV/RC style?

How can anybody tell? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I'd say that's an Elmer Bernstein case (in spirit, obviously not in style!) of playing the comedy dead straight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote

That's like asking if a critic has ever used the word 'original' or 'intriguing' in a review. It's a common word used in critiques of many cultural expressions (books, films, artwork, music etc.) when you want to describe how an artist has approximated a particular artist or style so that it's almost as if it came out of the era.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd say that's an Elmer Bernstein case (in spirit, obviously not in style!) of playing the comedy dead straight.

Yeah, but isn't that a parody in and of itself? I'd say it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not a parody. Parody is the use of the Jaws motif during the opening of the film. Or Joel McNeely's score to A MILLION WAYS TO DAY IN THE WEST.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Or Joel McNeely's score to A MILLION WAYS TO DAY IN THE WEST.

How is that parody? I find that to be very much pastiche. Even Seth MacFarlane says it was crucial for his film that McNeely approached the music seriously, tapping into the classic western sound of Bernstein, Copland etc. Except for the song(s), there is no parody in the score in and of itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Stop debating semantics with other people and excluding me!! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015
    Just to clarify, that was in jest, I was not really mad tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not kidding. Thor's gonna have a bloody lip if he says pastiche again!

And your right, Thor. I meant McNeely's song... Not the score, which has one of the worse cases of temptrackitis I've head in a while.

-Erik-
  6. To complain about temptrackitis in A Million Ways to Die in the West is to somewhat miss the point of that score, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    If there is one word in the English (or French) dictionary that I HATE the most it's the word pastiche.

People using a word incorrectly or misunderstanding its meaning does not lead me to hate the word.
    Those people on the other hand...

It's up there with words like 'bro' and 'schedule' (it's ske-jual not shej-ual, dammit!).

"Ske-jual"?
    Not in THIS neck of the wood, my dear potayto potahto! wink

I do, however, throw my full weight behind the hatred for the use of the word "bro", or indeed in a similar vein- the loathsome, but luckily over time ever less employed "douche". Good GOD! If one is truly inclined towards hurling abusive vernecular turning to bathroom appliances surely must be the bottom of the barrel!

And, gathering steam going off on a tangent, do not get me started on those who "could care less". I deeply wish at times I could care less about it. But alas, I am galled, my plumage is ruffled, bees are inhabiting my bonnet. It's "I couldN'T care less". Could NOT. If you "could care less" you would be able to CARE LESS! Which you DON'T. That is the whole damn POINT.

Argh!

Humanity!
    I swear.
    A reboot is in order.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Bro-down!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    To complain about temptrackitis in A Million Ways to Die in the West is to somewhat miss the point of that score, I think.

Indeed. The PASTICHE (sorry, I just had to annoy Erik) of classic western sound is very much intended in this case.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Empire of the Sun and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are westerns?

There's a big difference between homage and aping the temp. McNeely sadly did the latter.

-Erik-
  8. Oh who cares. I'd rather hear McNeely conjure up a derivative-but-enthusiastic reworking of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" for an action scene than have some RC assistant put an off-the-shelf drumloop over the same scene for three minutes...even if the latter is technically more original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Oh who cares.

I fucking do!

I'd rather Seth MacFarlane trust McNeely to do his job instead of insisting that his score stay as close to temp as possible. That's the biggest issue with Hollywood these days. I don't care if the score is orchestral, drum-looped or whatever. Leave the temp in your temp cut and trust your composer to give you a score with some sort of musical identity that doesn't shamelessly ape something else.

-Erik-