• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015
    Why don't they just use the temp track as the soundtrack and save money.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Newman
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Do we even know that McFarlane temped the film? From comments he's made, he doesn't seem the type (unless, of course, those comments were full of shit, which is also possible). But maybe McNeely did it of his own volition. It would be far from the first time that a snippet of a Williams score (or even an Indy score) ended up in a McNeely score. That doesn't make what he did any better or worse, but temps in general might not be the "culprit" here.

Either way, it's not a case that bothers me. It seems loving, not forced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The film was OBVIOUSLY temped. Most films are. And McNeely is obviously following the temp.

Early in McNeely's career he was forced to write as close to the temp as possible. In one instance, he even called up Bruce Broughton to let him know. Thank goodness Broughton was understand saying something to the likes of "that's Okay. I had to do that too early in my career."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That is a really interesting tidbit indeed. Thank you.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015 edited
    These days he'd probably be quite pleased his music was being used as temp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015
    It is becoming too complicated for me. Someone sometime is going to have to sit down and explain it all to me.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Is the music we hear in this trailer of Bridge of Spies original music by Thomas Newman?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2015
    Dunno, but now that I've seen the trailer I'm less disappointed that Williams didn't score it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    What a horribly scored trailer!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Is the music we hear in this trailer of Bridge of Spies original music by Thomas Newman?

Volker

No. I assume it's some generic library music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

yeah

Same old shite!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Is the music we hear in this trailer of Bridge of Spies original music by Thomas Newman?

Volker

it's typical powerful trailer music, it does it's job but I miss Williams' upcoming music (which was normally always the case for an upcoming Spielberg film sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Sounds like the music from The Terminator but looks like Spielberg's follow-up to Lincoln. slant

Either way, I can't wait to hear Newman's music to this. Maybe it'll be the beginning of a beautiful relationship? wink
  5. Oh, man, why didn't I just listen to the claims of it being a badly scored trailer? I couldn't even make it to the end if the trailer -- and it's not even three minutes long.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015
    I literally have no idea who he is.

http://www.007.com/sam-smith-to-sing-ti … r-spectre/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    I literally have no idea who he is.

http://www.007.com/sam-smith-to-sing-ti … r-spectre/

Me neither, but I knew he was in the running for the title song. Personally, I had hoped for Lana Del Ray. But when it comes down to it, I don't really care this way or that way about James Bond.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I would only care about the title song if the composer on the film had anything to do with it. I think Newman could do it!
  6. Sam smith will be an interesting choice. I tend not to prefer the modern male songs, but this does seem to be a film about the relationship between two guys, so maybe it's tonally appropriate.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Has Newman ever written any songs, actually?
  8. He co-wrote the Peter Gabriel song in Wall-E.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015
    And the song from The Adjustment Bureau performed by that guy from The Verve.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015 edited
    I just listened to the new Bond theme by Sam Smith, 'Writings On The Wall'.

I loved the brief and mouth wateringly orchestral opening which is very John Barry, sounds somewhere between his Cygnus music for Black Hole and The Living Daylights sound, a promising opening, but apart from a few string refrains it's down hill from there, I didn't really like it and I don't like Sam Smith's voice.

Nowhere near as good as the last outing, Adele's superb Skyfall.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. The opening is a big nod towards Barry. That's nice for the introduction but I wouldn't want the whole score to sound like that.
    As for the song: I saw it denounced as being the worst Bond song of all time. That it surely is not. Sam Smith doesn't do much for me too but all in all I think the song is decent.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    I saw it denounced as being the worst Bond song of all time.

Really!??? Boy oh boy but someone would have to trawl the gutters on hands and knees to beat Madonna's beyond dire effort.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Really!??? Boy oh boy but someone would have to trawl the gutters on hands and knees to beat Madonna's beyond dire effort.

Indeed. I referred to a German news portal (n-tv) that itself is referring to unspecified Twitter tweets. So it's probably more net trolling than professional critique.
  11. The leading German quality daily Frankfurter Allgemeine says it's the second worst Bond song of all time. Stereotypic (They don't take kindly to the Barry reference.) and the singer miscast.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

They tried really, really hard with Quantum of Solace but even that fell short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015
    Writings On The Wall is fucking awful. Thor's gonna love it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015
    Listened to the song yesterday... The strings part in the beginning was great (and actually gave my goosebumbs)... however the REST of the song is absolute SH*T! There is nothing memorable about the melody (although I'm sure I know it to death when the movie opens, because it's been played a thousand times on the radio by then). The song is just plain old BORING! sad