• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anthony wrote
    I loved Skyfall but I found SPECTRE to be my least favourite Bond score since GoldenEye.

I had the same reaction unfortunately, despite 'Skyfall' being one of my favourite scores of the last 5 years I'm just not connecting with 'Spectre' and have listened to it only twice since its release, must give it another try.

Loving 'Bridge of Spies' though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ... and [I] think his pair of scores are probably the best the series has had since Barry’s swansong almost thirty years ago.

Really? REALLY? Better than anything Arnold did? I do like Newman's efforts but I don't agree with that statement.

I don't intend any slight towards Arnold. I enjoy his Bond scores, particularly the last two. I just like Newman's a bit more. smile

You're in a minority of one.
    That's cool though. It'll probably make you eligible for all kinds of benefits!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015
    This must be how Thor feels ALL THE TIME. Wow.
  2. I'm with Southall, actually. I prefer Skyfall to anything Arnold wrote except Tomorrow Never Dies. I did find Spectre lackluster, but mostly as an album experience and largely due to the repetition of older material and the very length of the album.

Snow Plane is the most desperate ostinato-based action cue since Powell's Tangiers, I felt.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Almost an hour of questions and answers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeHNUJ-hNmE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2016
    Very interesting, thanks! It's great to actually hear Newman speak like this at length - he hardly ever does interviews.
  4. Has anyone gotten their hands on La-La Land's expanded Shawshank Redemption? I'd be curious to read some responses.

This is easily my favorite of Newman's. And "Brooks Was Here," the finale, and the end credits mark some of the most powerful film and music experiences I've ever had.

But $30 is no joke. And I've never felt as though the original release was lacking anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016
    will be getting it
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Has anyone gotten their hands on La-La Land's expanded Shawshank Redemption? I'd be curious to read some responses.

This is easily my favorite of Newman's. And "Brooks Was Here," the finale, and the end credits mark some of the most powerful film and music experiences I've ever had.

But $30 is no joke. And I've never felt as though the original release was lacking anything.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll be getting it for review. The appeal is all of the additional material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2016
    Have the original so we'll see how much more is available.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2016
    got the review copy of "Shawshank Redemption" and am in the process of going through it. It has been awhile since I've listened to it and this time around I found it very very dark.
    Tom smile
  5. sdtom wrote
    got the review copy of "Shawshank Redemption" and am in the process of going through it. It has been awhile since I've listened to it and this time around I found it very very dark.
    Tom smile

Interesting. I'd be happy to hear some more thoughts, Tom. Likewise from anybody else who's heard the expanded release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016
    I will review it as my health issues have been diagnosed and a plan of action taken. I should have more energy in a short period of time. After a couple of complete listens to it I can say that the extra material is well worth having. La-La Land did a fine job and the extra listening is well worth it; my opinion
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016 edited
    Appreciate it, Tom. Thanks. Wishing you well in your health!
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016 edited
    Will be interesting to read - will it be published on your blog? I always found Shawshank Redemption a bit too dark for my taste and therefore never bought it, but I still find that there might be a hole in my collection where a copy of this should be. If this expanded release is worth it, I might give it a go.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016
    The inhaler seems to be helping me in the short term.
    Tom
  6. Manwe wrote
    I always found Shawshank Redemption a bit too dark for my taste and therefore never bought it, but I still find that there might be a hole in my collection where a copy of this should be. If this expanded release is worth it, I might give it a go.

For what it's worth, I think the commercial release balances the light and dark passages of the score quite well. The sequencing of the album is very satisfying.

And even at it's darkest -- which is more like it's quietest -- the score is very melody-oriented. As compared to The Green Mile, which I think is the darker, more dissonant, more challenging score.
  7. In contrast, one FSM member said he loves the new LLLR release so much he'll never go back to the old shorter release. So obviously that wasn't a post by Thor.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016
    As I said it is worth the money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2016
    Finding Dory is out on Spotify.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Review of Passengers:

http://www.movie-wave.net/passengers/

I agree with your rating. Loved the score. Less so in the film, however.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2016
    Had its fair share of issues, but a couple of elements that weighed up for it. Like Chris Pratt wandering the spaceship rooms in the first half.

3 of 5.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Review of Passengers - http://wp.me/p3hOx4-16I
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube