• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    Wall-e is tiring for me, with some exceptions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I loved the City of Prague compilation CD because this way I have many essential Thomas Newman tracks without having to be annoyed by all those under-one-minute bit of tracks usually on his CDs
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And the good points will be pointed out
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008 edited
    Am I the only one who finds an intense difficulty truly enjoying Thomas' style? He's by far my least favourite of the whole Newman clan, with Alfred being my #1.

I mean I never have quit on him: I have a near-complete collection of his works, so I'm not talking through lack of exposition to his style, I just can't seem to sink my teeth into it. Most of his scores sound so similar to me... I can usually tell I'm listening to a Tom Newman score within the first 3.4 seconds. Whereas sticking to the same style works for me for other composers (Horner and Rozsa), it somehow doesn't for him, in my own personal taste.

But I'm really glad I never quit on him, because I find his recent score for "The Good German" to be truly fascinating. THAT one I really like. With that score firmly in mind, maybe I can start revisiting Shawshank or Horse Whisperer and appreciate them better, dunno...

I don't have Wall-E yet, I'm eager to see if I'll like it better than Nemo.
    J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I've always preferred David Newman myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I doubt you will wink Nemo is a more coherent listening experience.
  1. I haven't yet heard a David Newman score that really struck as original. Even his good stuff feels like pastiche, and maybe that's what the films ask of him, but you can only go by the music they show.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    I think it's easy to understand why someone wouldn't like Thomas Newman's style, it's very idiosyncratic after all. Personally I think he's wonderful, creating a body of work which will surely end up comparable to any film composer's.

On the other hand, his brother belongs in that mid-range bunch who are professional and highly-competent, but don't bring anything particularly unique. All of my own favourite film composers have a truly distinctive personal style, which you could say about Thomas but would struggle to say about David. I know you can recognise his music as being his own, but I don't see that he brings anything to a score that someone like Silvestri or Debney wouldn't.
  2. You mean incomparable? Thomas is very idiosyncratic indeed. I like his percussion, his way of orchestrating woodwinds and strings. Also his trademark performances, so spirited...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He is certainly one of the best in the last 15 years. I love his Road to Perdition.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    franz_conrad wrote
    I haven't yet heard a David Newman score that really struck as original. Even his good stuff feels like pastiche, and maybe that's what the films ask of him, but you can only go by the music they show.

Did you try "Brokedown Palace"?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    On the other hand, his brother belongs in that mid-range bunch who are professional and highly-competent, but don't bring anything particularly unique. All of my own favourite film composers have a truly distinctive personal style, which you could say about Thomas but would struggle to say about David. I know you can recognise his music as being his own, but I don't see that he brings anything to a score that someone like Silvestri or Debney wouldn't.

We actually agree on that point. David: produces good stuff that everyone can enjoy, but somewhat generic. Thomas: EXTREMELY unique, however, not for everyone. I struggle to find coherence throughout his scores. Too many short cues. Too little variations on themes. He seems married to pizzicato strings. But like I said, he does have a unique stamp, and he elevates films with the modern quirkiness of American Beauty like no other.

J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    sdtom wrote
    He is certainly one of the best in the last 15 years. I love his Road to Perdition.
    Thomas smile

Oh! Forgot about that one. This might be my 2nd favourite of his. Kinda like "Meet Joe Black" too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    I doubt you will wink Nemo is a more coherent listening experience.

Nemo is more coherent?? Wow... That's gotta be pretty dang incoherent. Are we talking like Morricone's "Rampage" score here? Well, I suppose it doesn't help that I have a 70+ mins version of Nemo, which adds even more filler and dead air between the truly actual lovely moments. A complete score release isn't necessarily better... Someone should tell that to Bruce Broughton, too.

J-F
    • CommentAuthordman
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    Any updates on a release for Revolutionary Road?

Like last year, Vantage has decided to put up the scores for their big contenders onlines, but the question is: WHEN?

The Duchess is up, Defiance and RR are not.

I have a feeling we'll be waiting quite a while for both (maybe into the new year, since this is aimed at Academy voters!).

In the meantime, we should be expecting a score release, shouldn't we?
    Decca? Lakeshore? Varésé?

Anyone know anything?
  3. http://www.vantageguilds.com/ParamountV … ARY%20ROAD

Keep clicking "Score" while you press F5 to refresh the page, and there you can listen to the complete tracks to all the cues. Eventually. For some reason they are not working, bu the tracklist is there with timings.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

A very emotional score and film.

"I'm glad at you."
    man, gets me everytime sad
    • CommentAuthordman
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    http://www.vantageguilds.com/ParamountV … ARY%20ROAD

Keep clicking "Score" while you press F5 to refresh the page, and there you can listen to the complete tracks to all the cues. Eventually. For some reason they are not working, bu the tracklist is there with timings.
    justin boggan wrote
    http://www.vantageguilds.com/ParamountV … ARY%20ROAD

How did you find out about this?

Thanks, first off.

I actually did discover that myself, but only accidentally. I was going to only bring it to the forum after it started working. It's been like several weeks and no update.

Hurry up vantage people. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    Go visit the site then, since it's working right now!

NP: Revolutionary Road cool
  4. Some thoughts on... Revolutionary Road (Thomas Newman)

This puts Newman back in fairly familiar territory... much like Cinderella Man felt very familiar back in 2004. Unlike that score, which returned to the glow of his Shawshank-style efforts in perhaps an overly-familiar way, this one is very much in the camp of his understated dramatic scores. The melodies are subtle and recognisably his. Strings and piano are the dominant acoustic elements - frequently trading off in patterns of piano motifs against the warm glow of string accompaniment. Those who don't like the short track madness of Wall-E and Nemo will love this - there are only 17 tracks, and 3 of them run longer than five minutes. (One is nearly ten minutes long - 'Late April'.) There's no real sense of the orchestrational style of the period (unlike in say The Good German), which tells me that Sam Mendes wants to keep his film feeling fairly modern. (I'm not sure how well that can work from a storytelling point of view, but never mind that.)

Highlights for me are the extended meditative piece 'Late April' (which some will find boring, but it slowly gathers strength in a very compelling way - I think it will be a powerful moment in the film when it turns around for the better), the ambiguous darker piece 'Beach Talk'. I think between those tracks and 'End Credits' and 'End Titles' (yes, two separate tracks), you cover pretty much most of what the score has to offer.

I don't think this score is as interesting as it could have been (even if it is another suburban drama for Newman, he makes some more interesting than others, like Little Children), and I think I like Wall-E better. But I'm always reluctant to judge a Newman score on first listen. They change a lot from the first listen to the third or fourth, and then again in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    Nice, want to hear it even more now.

Michale have you watched the movie as well? I've seen the trailer and judging by the 1) director 2) cast 3) composer, i am really looking forward to it.
  5. I haven't seen the movie, and I probably won't be able to for a while yet. Those sorts of films don't tend to come out in Australia until the new year.
  6. This score didn't do much for me. The End Titles piece...or maybe it was End Credits--whichever was 5 min. long was the nicest piece on there, I thought. I really liked that piece. The rest was very average material I thought. It didn't have much going on.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    Does anyone know how to listen to the score please?
  7. Re-read the posts above, msi2.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some thoughts on... Revolutionary Road (Thomas Newman)

This puts Newman back in fairly familiar territory... much like Cinderella Man felt very familiar back in 2004. Unlike that score, which returned to the glow of his Shawshank-style efforts in perhaps an overly-familiar way, this one is very much in the camp of his understated dramatic scores. The melodies are subtle and recognisably his. Strings and piano are the dominant acoustic elements - frequently trading off in patterns of piano motifs against the warm glow of string accompaniment. Those who don't like the short track madness of Wall-E and Nemo will love this - there are only 17 tracks, and 3 of them run longer than five minutes. (One is nearly ten minutes long - 'Late April'.) There's no real sense of the orchestrational style of the period (unlike in say The Good German), which tells me that Sam Mendes wants to keep his film feeling fairly modern. (I'm not sure how well that can work from a storytelling point of view, but never mind that.)

Highlights for me are the extended meditative piece 'Late April' (which some will find boring, but it slowly gathers strength in a very compelling way - I think it will be a powerful moment in the film when it turns around for the better), the ambiguous darker piece 'Beach Talk'. I think between those tracks and 'End Credits' and 'End Titles' (yes, two separate tracks), you cover pretty much most of what the score has to offer.

I don't think this score is as interesting as it could have been (even if it is another suburban drama for Newman, he makes some more interesting than others, like Little Children), and I think I like Wall-E better. But I'm always reluctant to judge a Newman score on first listen. They change a lot from the first listen to the third or fourth, and then again in the film.

Thanks Michael for the review. I'm really looking forward to both the movie and score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    Not sure what the release schedule is in the US for this film
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    a good one to avoid
  8. once again we saw Wall-E this weekend. Such a wonderful movie, but I noticed even more how enchanting Thomas Newman's score is inside the movie, it feels like outside of the movie it loses half the charm

I must listen to it again, knowing now what it all represents, and then I can honestly say if this is correct or not
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh